thanks Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dasani13

Silver

thanks

Post by dasani13 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:34 pm

thank you !!
Last edited by dasani13 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

JD2014

Bronze

Re: 4 months to prepare for Oct- which option should I choose?

Post by JD2014 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:40 pm

Suggested study schedule, with links to amazon with books (including practice tests):

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/p/month-ls ... plans.html

The practice tests are the most important. Type "LSAT 60" into amazon, and there will be links to the rest.

As for hours per day, it's whatever you can bear. Burnout is a risk if you do too much though, and continuing after that is pointless.

JD2014

Bronze

Post by JD2014 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:42 pm

I also found this book to be very helpful for Logic Games (and the other books this comapny produces for their respective sections): http://www.amazon.com/GROUPED-Game-Type ... 0984199705

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:55 pm

I was looking at that last night. A lot of his suggestions include using *his* blog posts so I wasn't sure how reliable it was.. But good to see that someone else is suggesting it. Thank you very much.
Last edited by dasani13 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

JD2014

Bronze

Post by JD2014 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:01 pm

I would be suspicious of him pushing his blog posts if he charged money to access them, but as it's all free, it's actually pretty nice. He makes his money off private tutoring, but he doesn't exactly shove it down your throat. I don't know how much he charges for it, but I'm sure I couldn't afford it, so I never inquired.

I didn't actually use his schedule; I found the blog to be more helpful in separating out the useful from the terrible books (and most of the books out there are pretty terrible).

The short answer though is the bibles, the grouped by books, the next 10 books, the superprep book, and the prep test books. That's easily 4 months, and if you use the Testmasters course, you'll be more than fine. The only thing you'll want is more time to prepare, but everyone does.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Fri May 27, 2011 4:15 pm

As others have said LSAT Blog is a solid resource.

I took a Testmasters course before my first test (studying to retake now). It got me from 149 to 157. If I had to do it again though, I'd probably just go with the Pithypike method (listed at the top of this forum) from the beginning possibly with supplementing private tutoring if I could find one I like. Classroom instruction is good for certain people, and if you'll find yourself better motivated in that setting, by all means go for it. If you're motivated and do the research on what people who scored high did to study, it's entirely possible to do it on your own.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:33 pm

thank you all very much for the help.
Last edited by dasani13 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri May 27, 2011 8:16 pm

Seconding the LSAT Blog advice. Honestly for me, self-studying was MUCH more useful than the course I took with TM. It really depends on where you are starting out. For example, my best section is LG and worst is RC, and TM focuses mainly on LG and hardly at all on RC...so for most of the classes I was bored out of my mind, and I ended up not getting what I needed out of the class (also, I slacked off -- don't do that!!!! XD)

Now I'm studying on my own, and though I'm usually not good at motivating myself to study, this site & the support I've gotten on here has made it exponentially easier, and I'm seeing higher PT averages and better results now. If you do decide to go with TM, I urge you to do ALL the HW (it's a lot, but I skipped a bunch and it bit me in the ass). If you're doing well in LG, I HIGHLY suggest self-study, because most people have LG as their worst section to start, so courses usually focus primarily on LG, then LR, and then RC.

Of course, if LG is your worst section, then it might be useful to have a class where you can work through those LG drills with an instructor. I'd say don't do tutoring if you're going to go with the course, it's just a waste of $$ at that point.

ETA - oh, the 2nd time around for self-study I followed the 5-6 month plan on LSAT Blog and it worked quite well for me in terms of timing/improvements. I shifted some stuff around (started with LR instead of LG, etc etc), but it was very helpful as a guide for how to proceed with my study schedule. I'm also working FT right now, so you can definitely pull off the LSAT Blog schedules while working PT :mrgreen: HTH!!!!

JD2014

Bronze

Post by JD2014 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:42 am

my best section is LG and worst is RC
If you're having trouble with RC, try this book: http://www.amazon.com/Grouped-Passage-T ... gy_b_img_c

It's groups of RC passages grouped by subject (so science, humanities, etc.) I always had trouble with the passages on art, but when you can sit down and just do like 10 or 15 in a row, you get a lot more comfortable with them. Good luck with the test.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawyertobe1

New

Post by lawyertobe1 » Sat May 28, 2011 1:54 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Seconding the LSAT Blog advice. Honestly for me, self-studying was MUCH more useful than the course I took with TM. It really depends on where you are starting out. For example, my best section is LG and worst is RC, and TM focuses mainly on LG and hardly at all on RC...so for most of the classes I was bored out of my mind, and I ended up not getting what I needed out of the class (also, I slacked off -- don't do that!!!! XD)

Now I'm studying on my own, and though I'm usually not good at motivating myself to study, this site & the support I've gotten on here has made it exponentially easier, and I'm seeing higher PT averages and better results now. If you do decide to go with TM, I urge you to do ALL the HW (it's a lot, but I skipped a bunch and it bit me in the ass). If you're doing well in LG, I HIGHLY suggest self-study, because most people have LG as their worst section to start, so courses usually focus primarily on LG, then LR, and then RC.

Of course, if LG is your worst section, then it might be useful to have a class where you can work through those LG drills with an instructor. I'd say don't do tutoring if you're going to go with the course, it's just a waste of $$ at that point.

ETA - oh, the 2nd time around for self-study I followed the 5-6 month plan on LSAT Blog and it worked quite well for me in terms of timing/improvements. I shifted some stuff around (started with LR instead of LG, etc etc), but it was very helpful as a guide for how to proceed with my study schedule. I'm also working FT right now, so you can definitely pull off the LSAT Blog schedules while working PT :mrgreen: HTH!!!!

I've just started prepping for my october exam. RC is my nightmare and LG is my cake, what did you find most helpful in improving your RC&LR scores?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sat May 28, 2011 4:09 pm

The LR Bible significantly and immediately improved my scores upon completion (see my study log here for a good idea of how my score changed). Unfortunately I put off studying for RC for a very very long time, but this past week I JUST completed the Manhattan RC Guide and have taken 1 PT since then. My RC score went from -4/-5 for the past 10 tests or so to a -1 for the first time in a month. IDK if it was an easy test or the Guide book, but I'd like to think it was the Guide book and not just a fluke XD

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”