Excuse me for this question...

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby bport hopeful » Sat May 28, 2011 8:06 pm

PSUdevon wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
JoeFish wrote:You say you scored a 169 on an untimed test... see what you get on a timed test - say, 165

not a chance


Honestly, I'm not sure it's that far off. When I took my first timed diagnostic, I finished earlier then I do now that I've learned how to map questions--if you don't get a tougher question at first, you don't have the tools to work your way through, so you'll just guess and bail and move on. And on the easy questions, you'll just throw an answer up because it seems right, rather than mapping it through, and making sure that you've picked the correct answer. I'm not sure how my experience compares, but I think I've probably taken more time on most questions, not less, after studying for the test.

A lot of people's scores go down after they start to study the test for this very reason. Timing is so important. If you dont know how to do LG and youre timed, people generally flop. If you can get a 165 timed, you should be able to get damn near a 180 without being timed.

My guess would be somewhere more in the high 150's.

Curry

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby Curry » Sat May 28, 2011 8:15 pm

I got a 173 on the actual test and I'm not sure I could get a 180 untimed.

totaltest.milan
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby totaltest.milan » Sat May 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Yeah unlimited time would certainly help with games but unless you know the concepts and what they're looking for then extra time won't really help much on the arguments and reading comp.

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby incompetentia » Sat May 28, 2011 10:02 pm

Some people simply test quickly. I think I averaged 26-minute sections coming down the stretch toward the test and I know taking the extra time never helped my PT scores.

User avatar
JoeFish
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:43 am

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby JoeFish » Sun May 29, 2011 12:02 am

incompetentia wrote:Some people simply test quickly. I think I averaged 26-minute sections coming down the stretch toward the test and I know taking the extra time never helped my PT scores.


Yeah same here. I had about 5 minutes left in every section but LR when I took my diagnostic, and did pretty well, and ended up usually getting 4 PT sections done in 100 minutes. Not sure how long the OP was taking, so I may have been generous with a 165 suggestion from a 169 untimed, but not ridiculously so.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby delusional » Sun May 29, 2011 12:20 am

incompetentia wrote:Some people simply test quickly. I think I averaged 26-minute sections coming down the stretch toward the test and I know taking the extra time never helped my PT scores.

Did you really get the score in your profile? Cause that would explain why you didn't score higher given more time.

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby incompetentia » Sun May 29, 2011 1:33 am

delusional wrote:
incompetentia wrote:Some people simply test quickly. I think I averaged 26-minute sections coming down the stretch toward the test and I know taking the extra time never helped my PT scores.

Did you really get the score in your profile? Cause that would explain why you didn't score higher given more time.

I outperformed my PT average considerably, but yes real score

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby bport hopeful » Sun May 29, 2011 12:24 pm

Curry wrote:I got a 173 on the actual test and I'm not sure I could get a 180 untimed.

You dont think that with absolutely unlimited time, you could score close to a 180? With a 173, you obviously understand the concepts.

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby incompetentia » Sun May 29, 2011 12:56 pm

You can't get a 180 without a certain amount of luck, timed or untimed. There are always going to be questions that you're going to narrow down to a 50-50 guess at best, and you'll either have to hope that you have very few of them on the test you're taking or that you guess correctly on most.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby bport hopeful » Sun May 29, 2011 2:59 pm

incompetentia wrote:You can't get a 180 without a certain amount of luck, timed or untimed. There are always going to be questions that you're going to narrow down to a 50-50 guess at best, and you'll either have to hope that you have very few of them on the test you're taking or that you guess correctly on most.

Yeah, thats why im saying close to a 180. But if you understand the concepts, most of the questions arent going to be that difficult if you have enough time to sit and deal with them

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby delusional » Sun May 29, 2011 3:51 pm

incompetentia wrote:You can't get a 180 without a certain amount of luck, timed or untimed. There are always going to be questions that you're going to narrow down to a 50-50 guess at best, and you'll either have to hope that you have very few of them on the test you're taking or that you guess correctly on most.

I disagree. If I took untimed tests back when I was in LSAT shape, I would have gotten 180 every single time. I MAY have gotten one or two wrong - like you say, there's always one or two that seem impossible to crack, but that's usually still a 180.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby Helicio » Sun May 29, 2011 9:43 pm

If anyone is interested, I just took my diagnostic test today timed and somehow got a 170. Weirdness :shock: but I guess I don't mind, haha.

Anyway, I'm going to start studying now. :)

User avatar
Yeshia90
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby Yeshia90 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:54 pm

Helicio wrote:If anyone is interested, I just took my diagnostic test today timed and somehow got a 170. Weirdness :shock: but I guess I don't mind, haha.

Anyway, I'm going to start studying now. :)


Thanks for kinda proving me right. Now, you realize, the pressure is on. If you don't end up with a 180, you're officially a failure.

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby incompetentia » Sun May 29, 2011 9:55 pm

Probably because you have some recognition of the questions. Next timed should probably be taken as your diag.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby Helicio » Sun May 29, 2011 10:15 pm

I bought the Kaplan book today for 2011. Do you guys recommend that one?

Also, do most people take classes? I'm thinking of taking classes, but I heard they are pricy. :(

Thanks for all the help guys. My heart beats faster just when I think of this test. 4 hours can pretty much determine what Law School I get into; ahh!

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby incompetentia » Sun May 29, 2011 10:48 pm

I didn't take any classes.



If you haven't gotten into the test yet, having a general study book is probably a good idea - I think usulaly the LRB/LGB (Powerscore) and the Manhattan/Atlas books are the ones that are considered the best.

More than anything, taking PTs and understanding why you are getting things right and wrong are the most important keys to improving into the 170s.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby delusional » Sun May 29, 2011 11:12 pm

Helicio wrote:I bought the Kaplan book today for 2011. Do you guys recommend that one?

Also, do most people take classes? I'm thinking of taking classes, but I heard they are pricy. :(

Thanks for all the help guys. My heart beats faster just when I think of this test. 4 hours can pretty much determine what Law School I get into; ahh!


If you really got in the area of 170 without much prep, classes wouldn't do anything for you. I also didn't take any classes. Read the Powerscore bibles, and practice, practice, practice.

Like I alluded to before, what worked for me was focusing on how much this one, half day test was worth - play up in your mind how much you get if you kill it, and what you lose if you don't. It can be worth $120000 in scholarship money, or acceptances that are worth that much in employment opportunities. Athletes regularly make $120,000 in a three hour game, but most people don't. This is your one shot to make $120000 in four hours. Grab it with both fists.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby Helicio » Sun May 29, 2011 11:16 pm

delusional wrote:
Helicio wrote:I bought the Kaplan book today for 2011. Do you guys recommend that one?

Also, do most people take classes? I'm thinking of taking classes, but I heard they are pricy. :(

Thanks for all the help guys. My heart beats faster just when I think of this test. 4 hours can pretty much determine what Law School I get into; ahh!


If you really got in the area of 170 without much prep, classes wouldn't do anything for you. I also didn't take any classes. Read the Powerscore bibles, and practice, practice, practice.

Like I alluded to before, what worked for me was focusing on how much this one, half day test was worth - play up in your mind how much you get if you kill it, and what you lose if you don't. It can be worth $120000 in scholarship money, or acceptances that are worth that much in employment opportunities. Athletes regularly make $120,000 in a three hour game, but most people don't. This is your one shot to make $120000 in four hours. Grab it with both fists.



First of all, to both of the previous comments: Thank you so much. I'll shore up some money to buy what I need ASAP.


Secondly, to the comment before this post: You've just inspired me to blitzkrieg this thing!

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby bport hopeful » Sun May 29, 2011 11:21 pm

Helicio wrote:If anyone is interested, I just took my diagnostic test today timed and somehow got a 170. Weirdness :shock: but I guess I don't mind, haha.

Anyway, I'm going to start studying now. :)

Did you take two different tests?

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby Helicio » Sun May 29, 2011 11:23 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
Helicio wrote:If anyone is interested, I just took my diagnostic test today timed and somehow got a 170. Weirdness :shock: but I guess I don't mind, haha.

Anyway, I'm going to start studying now. :)

Did you take two different tests?


As in two different preptests? Yeah.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby bport hopeful » Sun May 29, 2011 11:24 pm

Helicio wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
Helicio wrote:If anyone is interested, I just took my diagnostic test today timed and somehow got a 170. Weirdness :shock: but I guess I don't mind, haha.

Anyway, I'm going to start studying now. :)

Did you take two different tests?


As in two different preptests? Yeah.

I think you may be a freak. To do better on a timed test than an untimed, regardless of prep time, is ridiculous. Good for you though. Fuck that test up.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby Helicio » Sun May 29, 2011 11:28 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
Helicio wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
Helicio wrote:If anyone is interested, I just took my diagnostic test today timed and somehow got a 170. Weirdness :shock: but I guess I don't mind, haha.

Anyway, I'm going to start studying now. :)

Did you take two different tests?


As in two different preptests? Yeah.

I think you may be a freak. To do better on a timed test than an untimed, regardless of prep time, is ridiculous. Good for you though. Fuck that test up.


Haha I was confused too. Although I'm going to be studying over the summer, so we'll see.

Also, I didn't really take that much more time on the untimed test than I did on the timed one. I think when I did it untimed I tried to stay within the times for each section as much as possible (maybe doing 40 instead of 35 minutes for them). The main difference when I took it untimed versus when I took it timed was that when I took it untimed I didn't do the sections all in a row. On my diagnostic I did it all in one sitting and had a huge headache afterwards :( .

User avatar
incompetentia
Posts: 2307
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Excuse me for this question...

Postby incompetentia » Sun May 29, 2011 11:31 pm

Well, that's the first thing you've mentioned that can be improved. 170 timed cold is ridiculous to start with - just don't burn yourself out and you should be fine.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kindofcanuck, Majestic-12 [Bot], tracy9524, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests