Year-Long Study Plan?

Momentum

Year-Long Study Plan?

Postby Momentum » Thu May 26, 2011 11:58 am

Next month, I'm going to start studying for the June 2012 LSAT. Yeah, I know. I'm trying to turn myself into a solid splitter, so there's a good bit of my future riding on that test and I want to put the requisite work into moving from a 153/155 diagnostic to a - well, I'm hoping - 180. Has anyone used a study plan for this lengthy sort of undertaking before? The closest I've found is the 7 month plan on LSATBlog. Does anybody have any advice or suggestions?

JD2014

Re: Year-Long Study Plan?

Postby JD2014 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:19 pm

The single biggest jump I saw in my LSAT score was in the month after the June test, which I spent getting drunk. If you really want to study for 12 months, do the 7 month study plan and take breaks. After you've done the bibles, a bunch of PTs and worked on the Grouped By books, you'll find that burnout is the biggest factor holding you back, and well-timed breaks the best way to break through plateaus.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu May 26, 2011 2:00 pm

The longer you study, the more you're going to run into diminishing returns. I haven't seen anybody who has studied longer than maybe 5 months that has gotten a significant bump from additional study.

Also, a word to the wise: If you want a 180, it's not the greatest idea to shoot for a 180 PT average. You should expect to know the concepts well enough and then raise your PT average into the mid-170s, and then work on concentration and similar things as you get closer to the test.

JD2014

Postby JD2014 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:19 pm

I haven't seen anybody who has studied longer than maybe 5 months that has gotten a significant bump from additional study.

I did January to June. Took the June test, then relaxed for 2 months. I then studied for August and September, and got a significant bump. I think round 2 is advantageous because you focus on your weaknesses, and there is a lot less pressure if you already have a respectable score and you're just aiming higher. This may only be the case if the extension beyond 5 months is due to a retake though.

Either way, I think it is safe to say that no more than 5 consecutive months will get you anything though, because if you're doing it right, it will cause you to burn out.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu May 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Yeah, that's probably a good clarification. I can see one long-term break having positive effects.

shaf0717

Postby shaf0717 » Sat May 28, 2011 11:09 am

OP, I put in about 6-7 months last year before I sat for my first LSAT. I raised my 150 diag. to a 167, all self-study. Burnout was my biggest problem, especially since I did most of my studying during my downtime on a military deployment. I actually enjoyed studying for the LSAT, but trying to balance studying with my other responsibilities was tough. I probably wasn't as disciplined or consistent as I should have been during those 6-7 months. I'm considering a retake with the aim of a 5+ point improvement, but I'm reluctant to invest any more time in the test, mostly because I'm afraid of burning out again. Does anyone have any techniques or specific plans they used to avoid burnout?

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sat May 28, 2011 11:36 am

Time away from studying actually seems to make the concepts come together pretty well. Try taking another cold diag and see where you're coming in.

Going from 167 to 172+ will really depend on where you -were- PTing before the test as well as where you're at now.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”