Should I postpone?

Should I postpone?

Postby cardsfan04 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:48 pm

I am registered for the June LSAT. I started studying back around December and started testing in the mid-high 150s. I think my 3rd test was a 160 w/o a ton of study. Unfortunately, I got "promoted" at work (quotes because it's just a ton more hours, not an upward movement), and I haven't made great use of my time to study between then and now. I have studied some (but not as much as I would have liked), but only taken 7 or 8 PTs. Albeit the small sample, I expect to score around a 165, but probably not much higher.

I want to go to SLU (which I really like despite the ranking) or WUSTL and plan to stay in STL after graduating. I won't get into WUSTL with a 165 and my GPA, but probably will get into SLU with it. If I magically woke up with a law degree tomorrow, I'd like to be a prosecutor, but I'd like to have the option of going to a big firm if I so desire.

Anyway, am I better off taking this now and retaking in October and/or December (potentially taking it 3 times) or should I postpone and work my ass off for 5 months and ensure I get in the 170s? If it matters, I don't mind paying to take it 3 times, so that's not a factor in postponing it.

EDIT: I haven't had a day off in almost 3 weeks and my next one will be June 4-6 to rest for the LSAT if that is a factor.

Re: Should I postpone?

Postby JD2014 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:23 am

Take June, cancel if you feel really bad about it, then retake in October. Adcomms really don't care about cancellations, and if you have multiple LSAT scores, many schools simply count the highest one.

According to LSN, SLU starts giving out scholarship money at around the low to mid-160's, so if you're fine with going there, a 165 may be enough to get in with money. WUSTL seems to save their money for candidates with LSATs above 170 and/or high GPAs.

You also need to do something about this job. Writing an effective personal statement isn't very easy when you're completely burned out.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”