Taking the LSAT in June vs October?

Mr.Binks

Taking the LSAT in June vs October?

Postby Mr.Binks » Wed May 25, 2011 8:43 pm

Hello all,

I was anticipating taking the LSAT on June 6th, which is coming up in about a few weeks, because I have heard that June would be the best time to take it in order to qualify for early admissions and whatnot. However, I feel as if I may or may not be ready in 12 days, due to some unfortunate circumstances, so I'm wondering if it would be worth it to take the test in October instead.

Do the pros of taking the LSAT in June significantly outweigh taking it in October? I can almost guarantee that my score would be higher in October, however, I do not want to be one of the late applicants, nor do I wish to take a year off. I would very much like to attend school in the 2012 year.

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. If it is, someone feel free to move it.

Thanks everyone!

justbubbles

Re: Taking the LSAT in June vs October?

Postby justbubbles » Wed May 25, 2011 8:44 pm

For me the only benefit to taking the June test - I wake up and go comfortably in the afternoon. :P

I am so not a morning person.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Wed May 25, 2011 8:49 pm

Haha. I can do morning or afternoon--it doesn't matter that much to me. In fact, I would probably prefer to take the exam in the morning. The way I figure, I would probably be nervous and whatnot and wake up early to do some last-minute studying if it was in the afternoon.

Pending my LSAT score, I would like to apply to a top 25ish school (preferably UCLA or UT), so I figured early applications might be very important...

However, I don't want to sacrifice the improved score that I would undoubtedly get if I take it in October if the two dates are not that significant in terms of admission....

CoriOlivia

Postby CoriOlivia » Wed May 25, 2011 10:55 pm

I plan to apply early and also intended to take the June test but I know I can do so much better by October so I withdrew/registered for Oct. 1.

The early decision deadlines for UT and UCLA are November 1st and 15th, respectively. I intend to have my applications complete and have everything together waiting for scores to come in. I'm sure there is a *little* bit of benefit to applying in Sept/Oct, but applying before the EA/ED deadlines should be ok. I think if scores come back in 3 weeks or so, we should be ok...?

Anyway, that is my plan! GL to you!

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed May 25, 2011 11:08 pm

In many many situations it seems that a few points on the LSAT >>>> applying a few weeks earlier. If you're not ready and you're sure you will be much more prepared in October, I'd seriously consider postponing. Or, if you believe a retake isn't going to be too big of a deal on your score report you can just do that, but it's not the best to go into the test thinking "eh...no big deal, I can just retake."

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Wed May 25, 2011 11:12 pm

I think most people would agree that getting a better score outweighs applying early (especially when you're talking November - which is still fairly early). Go for October.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Wed May 25, 2011 11:17 pm

I took the test in October 2010, and had my applications sent out before my score came back. I don't think waiting until Oct affected my chances much if at all.

Granted, I couldn't get any fee waivers applying like this, but considering how much LS CoA is anyway...

krasivaya

Postby krasivaya » Wed May 25, 2011 11:19 pm

Just out of curiosity, when do the scores normally come back for the October test?

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Wed May 25, 2011 11:25 pm

Sat, Oct 9 was a rather late test date, and so the the standard 23 days waiting time for release date meant Mon, Nov 1.

As is standard with the Oct tests, you get your scores the Friday before (in our case, Oct 29). There was a delay that evening in releasing the scores - people didn't get scores sometimes until 3-4am and were freaking the fuck out

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed May 25, 2011 11:26 pm

krasivaya wrote:Just out of curiosity, when do the scores normally come back for the October test?

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/oc ... dates.html

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Thu May 26, 2011 12:06 am

Thanks guys,

So I should have all of my applications ready to go so that the day that my scores get back, I can ship my applications out?

I think I'm going to withdraw from the June LSAT, because I am confident that I will be able to do significantly better in October.

Also, via the link below, UT apparently does not offer any sort of competitive advantage for early admissions. Does anyone know how factual this is?

--LinkRemoved--

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Thu May 26, 2011 12:34 am

Mr.Binks wrote:Thanks guys,

So I should have all of my applications ready to go so that the day that my scores get back, I can ship my applications out?

Our scores were released Oct 29, and I sent them in Oct 25. I don't think there will be much difference between getting them in that early vs. sending them Nov. 14ish (since mine didn't start going complete until the first week of Nov anyway).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”