Critique This LG Strategy

rubydandun

Critique This LG Strategy

Postby rubydandun » Wed May 25, 2011 1:54 pm

Hello All,

There was a time when I thought that I'd never be able to do better than a -12 on LG. I just couldn't manage all the rules, would forget rules, misdiagram, had terrible attention to detail.

I was about to reconsider law school and then came across these forums and saw that it was possible, even for an LG Idiot, to improve.

3 months of hardcore LGB drilling and having done almost every game EVER, here's my situation:

1st Game: 9 minutes or so, -0
2nd Game: Finish by about 18-20 minutes, -0
3rd/4th Game: This is where things get tricky

I take about 10 seconds to figure out which of 3/4 is easier for me, or if they look the same, I pick the one with more questions. Usually I'll get -1 or so on the game I choose and then get to the last game with 5-6 minutes left; I do about 2 of them and then guess on the last 3,

meaning that I usually get anywhere from -2 to -6. Never more than -6, never better than -2.

Timing is my issue. With 10 days left before the June exam, how can I tweak my strategy to maximize points on this section?

PS: I am getting about a total of -10 wrong on LR/RC Combined, so good/bad LG is the difference between 164 and 169. My last 5 PT scores (all from the late 40's and early 50's):

Thank you all so much. Don't know what I'd do without the advice from this board.

JD2014

Re: Critique This LG Strategy

Postby JD2014 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:00 pm

There is a book called Grouped by Game (link below) that organizes indivudal games by type (e.g. straight line games, double line, etc.) rather than into sections of 4 different games as the test does.

In studying, I found it very helpful to do the same type over and over until I could complete single-line games without error in about 4 minutes. As this is typically the first game on the test, it gives you additional time to spend on the more difficult games. It's also helpful with other game types.

It's probably too late to help you now, but if you retake in October (and this is TLS, everyone will tell you to retake) this could be very helpful over the summer.

http://www.amazon.com/GROUPED-Game-Type ... 0984199705

JD2014

Postby JD2014 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:02 pm

As to critiquing your strategy, it's probably as good as it will get, but not spending 9 minutes on the first game (usually the easiest) is probably the best next step.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed May 25, 2011 2:08 pm

Since you have accuracy down on the first two games, you now need to try and speed up as much as possible. Start reworking old games and doing the first 2 games as fast as possible (seriously, try to do them as fast as you can). Sometimes you'll go too fast and get too sloppy, but you need to find the proper balance between speed and accuracy.

I was the same place on games. I was god awful at first, then managed to get to the point where I could do 3 games and 1-2 questions of the 4th. It took a lot of practice, but eventually I got to the point where I was either finishing the whole section or finishing all but 1-2 questions. If you can get your LG constantly at only -1 or -2, that will do wonders for you score (and help stabilize it more).

pkrtbx

Postby pkrtbx » Thu May 26, 2011 1:09 am

I am a person that absolutely freaks out about time and I am always feeling like I need to rush through every question on the test. My tutor told me to instead of diagram as fast as possible and then dive into the questions, to spend 3-4 minutes diagramming and literally just understanding the rules before doing the questions.

I thought it sounded ridiculous and I never thought it would work for me, but it really has. I make the initial diagram and many times find myself already working on the first question, but then I stop myself and literally just think about the rules and how they might interact for a minute or two. If I can spot a lot of inferences I will even draw a few hypos. And I have found that I can blaze through the questions with almost perfect accuracy that way.

I had basically the exact same LG problems as you, so it is at least worth a try.

rubydandun

Postby rubydandun » Thu May 26, 2011 3:50 am

pkrtbx wrote:I am a person that absolutely freaks out about time and I am always feeling like I need to rush through every question on the test. My tutor told me to instead of diagram as fast as possible and then dive into the questions, to spend 3-4 minutes diagramming and literally just understanding the rules before doing the questions.

I thought it sounded ridiculous and I never thought it would work for me, but it really has. I make the initial diagram and many times find myself already working on the first question, but then I stop myself and literally just think about the rules and how they might interact for a minute or two. If I can spot a lot of inferences I will even draw a few hypos. And I have found that I can blaze through the questions with almost perfect accuracy that way.

I had basically the exact same LG problems as you, so it is at least worth a try.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me - I KNOW that if I spend an extra minute or so to understand the diagrams and make inferences and really understand the game, I will blaze through the questions. But instead, I almost ALWAYS just take a brief look, make any glaring deductions and jump to the questions, which ends up wasting even more time, ESPECIALLY on global questions and "Could be true" questions where up-front deductions are crucial.

My instinct is always to plug-n-chug and make a million hypos instead of using my brain and really thinking analytically.

Why can't I realize that slowing down during the setup will help me blaze through questions? This is the next step for me. I'm going to try and smash the first game in 6 minutes or less, and then really try and make solid set ups and a strong conceptualization before tackling the questions.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu May 26, 2011 4:42 am

rubydandun wrote:
pkrtbx wrote:I am a person that absolutely freaks out about time and I am always feeling like I need to rush through every question on the test. My tutor told me to instead of diagram as fast as possible and then dive into the questions, to spend 3-4 minutes diagramming and literally just understanding the rules before doing the questions.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me - I KNOW that if I spend an extra minute or so to understand the diagrams and make inferences and really understand the game, I will blaze through the questions. But instead, I almost ALWAYS just take a brief look, make any glaring deductions and jump to the questions, which ends up wasting even more time, ESPECIALLY on global questions and "Could be true" questions where up-front deductions are crucial.

My instinct is always to plug-n-chug and make a million hypos instead of using my brain and really thinking analytically.

Why can't I realize that slowing down during the setup will help me blaze through questions? This is the next step for me. I'm going to try and smash the first game in 6 minutes or less, and then really try and make solid set ups and a strong conceptualization before tackling the questions.

You should save "could be true" questions for last; lots of time the hypos you did for other questions can help. It's personal preference, but I like to save the set-up question for last too.

rubydandun

Postby rubydandun » Fri May 27, 2011 2:15 am

Why is that local (e.g., If X is in slot 4) questions are a breeze for me while Global questions just own me? Is this indicative of poor up-front deduction work?

jortiz682

Postby jortiz682 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:34 am

Well A) Use stimulants. Yes, not without taking them for PT's first, but nonetheless.

B) Umm? I dunno, I suck at spatial orientation historically (aka on IQ tests as a child even before i started smoking pot/doing drugs). But you realy should've been able to speed up by now. The games follow a template.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”