Conclusion tells all?

tmc07d

Conclusion tells all?

Postby tmc07d » Tue May 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Ive heard so many people say "conclusion is everything" "focus on the conclusion" in the LR section, but to what extent? Are their key phrases or words in the conclusion that you should look for in the correct answer? Can anyone give me any advice on how you approach each question after you read the conclusion. Thanks alot.

tmon

Re: Conclusion tells all?

Postby tmon » Tue May 24, 2011 10:01 pm

It often depends on the question type. This is why I read the stem first (a strategy many differ on). However, almost all types relate to the conclusion to the greatest extent. For instance, TCR in an assumption Q often addresses a gap between the premises and the conclusion. So it's necessary to know the conclusion to find the gap. For "main point" Qs, the main point is basically the conclusion. If you do some question type-specific drilling you should notice very quickly the subtleties of the types and how they relate to the conclusion.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue May 24, 2011 10:05 pm

If you don't know what the conclusion is, then by implication you don't know what the premises are. And this means that you don't see the overall structure of what you are working with. Its like trying to reach a destination without a map. By isolating the premises and conclusion, you see the big picture, and you will be able to dissect it and manipulate it any way you wish.

I map out the argument in my head. But I "translate" it into my own words. Run the premises and the conclusion through your head for a bit, and put it in your own simple words. This will allow you to free yourself from the dense wording of the test. Isolating the conclusion is probably the single most important step in LR problems in general.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:52 pm

I agree with the poster above.
I also wanted to add that being able to recognize the different parts of the argument will help you understand what the author is trying to get across.
There are many question types where identifying the conclusion as you read is important: for method of reasoning if you can pinpoint what each part of the argument is doing then this kind of questions will be easy, main point/identify conclusion(a freebie if you identify the conclusion second nature), assumption question (for the reasons listed above), matching patterns of reasoning (premises fit together to try to prove the conclusion), in weaken and strenght question you are generally not trying to dispute the truth of the premises but wether or not they support the conclusion, which holes in the argument to you need to fill, etc.
My point is that you need to know where the argument is going and what point is trying to be made.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu May 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Anytime I deal with a question type that has a conclusion, I underline that conclusion (pretty much everything that isn't MBT/MBF, or Resolve/Explain). If you don't know what the author of the argument is trying to prove, there's no way you can deal specifically with it. It's also easy to get lulled into picking an answer choice that has to deal with an extraneous premise, or a relevant premise but in a way that doesn't affect the conclusion. Underlining the conclusion let's you quickly glance up at the stimulus and see if the answer choice you're about to bubble actually does whatever you're supposed to be doing to it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”