Should I take a prep course if I have a low diagnostic?

notaznguy

Should I take a prep course if I have a low diagnostic?

Postby notaznguy » Tue May 24, 2011 6:15 pm

I took a diagnostic almost a year ago and I got a 138. A little note: I actually omitted a lot of questions I didn't know the answer to because I didn't want guessed correct answers to skew the data and mislead me in regards to "where I'm actually at."

From what it seems like, most people who take the prep courses are already scoring in their 150s and that prep courses only have a 10 point increase on average. It'd be pretty BS to spend $1000+ to go from a 138 to 148 if you ask me...

I'm planning to take the October test and I was going to spend this summer studying (and only studying since I have nothing else to do). I have the powerscore bibles, but I haven't studied them much as I find it hard to study while working and keeping up with classes during the school year.

For my raw score, it was something like

LG: 6 correct, 9 incorrect, the rest omitted (mind you, I didn't know how to do anything here)
LR: 23 correct, 23 incorrect, the rest omitted
RC: 9 correct, 15 incorrect, the rest omitted

bp shinners

Re: Should I take a prep course if I have a low diagnostic?

Postby bp shinners » Tue May 24, 2011 7:56 pm

Not gonna talk about the benefits, etc... of a prep course since I'm biased. Just wanted to chime in on the numbers.

We see a wide range of scores on our first prep test; I've personally seen scores ranging from 124 to 167 in my classes. Score increases are all over the place numbers-wise, though, and tend to be more correlated with effort put in than with initial diagnostic.

So I guess the biggest point I want to make is don't let the 138 discourage you, pick a study method that you think will work for you, and then put the effort in, with an emphasis on the last part.

boom_cs

Postby boom_cs » Tue May 24, 2011 8:02 pm

I took outside lsat, which is an at home prep class, and started with a 146 and ended with a 165. I think twenty points is definitely doable considering you did not know how to take the test at all.

HYSHopeful

Postby HYSHopeful » Tue May 24, 2011 9:17 pm

A diagnostic test where you don't fill in answers is meaningless. The median score is around 150 on the actual exam... which is something like -45 questions. Someone missing 45 questions isn't likely to be finishing every question without guessing.

Most people have to guess (after eliminating 1 or more answers) or simply bubble in randomly at the end of a section.

Therefore, a more accurate measure of "where [you're] actually at" would be a preptest where you at least guessed or randomly bubbled every question.

http://lawschooli.com/

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”