First Lsat Practice

amb8819
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:13 am

First Lsat Practice

Postby amb8819 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:34 am

I took my first practice test today. It was the official one on the LSAC website. I stuck strictly to the time limits. My score was not very good. It was a 150. This was a cold testing, I did not study before. What are my chances for improvement? I was hoping for a score in the mid 160's, although I guess that is unlikely.

I did well on the reading comprehension part; I got 22 out of 27 correct. It was the other parts that gave me trouble. The part which I assume is the logic games part (section one on the test on the lsac website. Directions start.."Each group of questions in this section is based on a set of conditions...") really gave me fits, I got 9 out of 23 correct. The other two parts (which I assume are the logical reasoning parts, correct me if I am wrong) were somewhat better. I got 12 out of 25 on one section and 17 out 25 on the other.

I plan to buy as many official practice tests as I can. What books would you recommend that I prep with?

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: First Lsat Practice

Postby dpk711 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:36 am

Relax. 150 on your first try isn't too bad. Just study hard for a few months and it is possible to increase your score by 10-15 points. 20-30 point increases are rarer but happens occasionally. Get all three bibles and do at least 20 PTs (especially the ones numbered 40 and higher). Good luck.

User avatar
Corwin
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: First Lsat Practice

Postby Corwin » Tue May 24, 2011 2:41 am

The good news for you is that your weakest sections (LG and LR) are the easiest to train, while your best section (RC) is the hardest to train. You're in a good spot to do well after a few months of prep. Good luck!

User avatar
tdicks
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:54 am

Re: First Lsat Practice

Postby tdicks » Tue May 24, 2011 10:20 am

i definitely recommend the powerscore logic games bible. i got the same score as you on the december logic games for my cold diagnostic and since i finished that book i haven't gotten more than 4 wrong in a game, and usually only 1 or none at all. i went through the book in about a week or so, so that's a pretty quick 5 or so points.

personally, the logical reasoning bible hasn't been as useful, but i suppose that depends on the kind of problems you're having with LR and the type of learner you are. for me, i've improved my LR scores by about 5 points a section just by taking practice tests and going over the questions i got wrong, why my answer was wrong, and why the right answer is right.

i take 2 or 3 PTs a week, and do a bare minimum of a LR and LG section on my non-PT days, except sunday. my last 6 PTs have been 12-16 points higher than my diagnostic (started studying about a month ago) and i'm still improving, so i think mid 160s is a very attainable goal for you!

amb8819
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:13 am

Re: First Lsat Practice

Postby amb8819 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. When I saw my score, I was really bummed out but it is nice to know that I can improve.

How teachable are logic games? They really gave me trouble.

Do any of you know anyone who started at 150 and was able to get into the 160's on the real thing?

User avatar
Ginj
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 am

Re: First Lsat Practice

Postby Ginj » Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm

amb8819 wrote:Do any of you know anyone who started at 150 and was able to get into the 160's on the real thing?


My first test score was a 147. I'm currently practicing around a 170. So. Yes.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: First Lsat Practice

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:11 pm

Ginj wrote:
amb8819 wrote:Do any of you know anyone who started at 150 and was able to get into the 160's on the real thing?


My first test score was a 147. I'm currently practicing around a 170. So. Yes.

I tutored people who started at a 145-150 and wound up scoring in the high 160s and low 170s. I think it is easier to improve from a 150 to a 165 than a 140 to a 155, because the 150 indicates a certain base level of intelligence.

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: First Lsat Practice

Postby Mattalones » Tue May 24, 2011 2:25 pm

I got a 131 on my first practice, but I later broke 170 (barely), and now I got to a T20. The moral of the story is that you need to study and be sober. Further, being extremely hung over doesn't count as being sober - hence 131. :lol:

On an unrelated "ALSO" ...

flexityflex86 wrote:
Ginj wrote:
amb8819 wrote:. . . 150 indicates a certain base level of intelligence.

It can. But the reading skills have to be there for that to be an accurate statement. Most people don't read at the level they should. So, subpar LSATs are either a lack of intelligence, reading skills, or both (assuming the person studied). I would guess that it is a lack of reading skills more often than not for people who did well at a good school. If you can excel at a top UG without doing the reading very often, you have to be smart, but are likely to need a lot more practice when it comes time to crack down on the LSAT.

amb8819
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:13 am

Re: First Lsat Practice

Postby amb8819 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:28 pm

Corwin wrote:The good news for you is that your weakest sections (LG and LR) are the easiest to train, while your best section (RC) is the hardest to train. You're in a good spot to do well after a few months of prep. Good luck!



Thats good to know. I have always been good at reading comprehension on tests. I got a perfect score on the reading comprehension part of the ACT.

flexityflex86 wrote:
Ginj wrote:
amb8819 wrote:Do any of you know anyone who started at 150 and was able to get into the 160's on the real thing?


My first test score was a 147. I'm currently practicing around a 170. So. Yes.

I tutored people who started at a 145-150 and wound up scoring in the high 160s and low 170s. I think it is easier to improve from a 150 to a 165 than a 140 to a 155, because the 150 indicates a certain base level of intelligence.


Any study suggestions? What improvement are possible on the logic games?
Ginj wrote:
amb8819 wrote:Do any of you know anyone who started at 150 and was able to get into the 160's on the real thing?


My first test score was a 147. I'm currently practicing around a 170. So. Yes.


That is a great improvement. How have you been studying?
Last edited by amb8819 on Tue May 24, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
YaSvoboden
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: First Lsat Practice

Postby YaSvoboden » Tue May 24, 2011 3:34 pm

amb8819 wrote:Any study suggestions? What improvement are possible on the logic games?


Do PithyPike's method (look at the stickies) and games can easily get to perfect or near perfect every time, many on here can attest to it. Not everyone needs that much work, but games are probably easiest to get perfect on because they are repeated more exactly than the others.

Feel free to hop into the October study group if that's when you are taking the test.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: First Lsat Practice

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:40 pm

YaSvoboden wrote:
amb8819 wrote:Any study suggestions? What improvement are possible on the logic games?


Do PithyPike's method (look at the stickies) and games can easily get to perfect or near perfect every time, many on here can attest to it. Not everyone needs that much work, but games are probably easiest to get perfect on because they are repeated more exactly than the others.

Feel free to hop into the October study group if that's when you are taking the test.

combine rules where applicable - you can solve some in your head.

amb8819
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:13 am

Re: First Lsat Practice

Postby amb8819 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:36 pm

Bump. I would appreciate more input.

User avatar
Ginj
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 am

Re: First Lsat Practice

Postby Ginj » Wed May 25, 2011 7:33 am

amb8819 wrote:That is a great improvement. How have you been studying?


I went through the LG and LR bibles, realizing that LR is my worst section. And then went through the LR bible again and made an outline of points that would help my weaknesses. I've also perused the Atlas LR guide. Since then, it's just been practice, practice, practice. I've mainly just been doing timed sections leading up to the big day, but these last two weeks before June, I'll be taking full-length, timed tests.

My main issue with LR was, ironically, reading comprehension. I'd skim over words that were crucial to selecting the correct answer, so my practice has mainly involved training myself to slow down and pay attention to every. single. word.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: applejacks888, Greenteachurro, JohnMaynardKeynes, theboringest and 10 guests