Need to lock down my LG score in two weeks

gator89

Need to lock down my LG score in two weeks

Postby gator89 » Mon May 23, 2011 9:15 pm

I have been taking PTs for a couple weeks, and I just cannot seem to secure my LG score. Its seems every other test is a -0 or -5 in LG. I have taken the power score online class. Is it worth it for me to buy the LGB and hammer through it over the next 2 weeks? Is it any different than the material in the course?

westinghouse60

Re: Need to lock down my LG score in two weeks

Postby westinghouse60 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:52 am

gator89 wrote:I have been taking PTs for a couple weeks, and I just cannot seem to secure my LG score. Its seems every other test is a -0 or -5 in LG. I have taken the power score online class. Is it worth it for me to buy the LGB and hammer through it over the next 2 weeks? Is it any different than the material in the course?

I have the logic games bible and found it to be very helpful. However, if you're missing -5 or -0 then I doubt you'll get much out of it. I started using it when I was only at about 50% accuracy for LG, and while it was great then it wouldn't do much for me now. Also, you have to consider it takes a while to get through those books, which is not the best use of time with 2 weeks to go IMO. I haven't taken any prep courses so I can't make a comparison concerning that.

I would recommend trying to isolate exactly why you're missing -5 on occasion. Yes I realize that is very generic advice, but if you're scoring with little middle ground (relatively) it's probably something other than a simple error on a question or two. For example, you might be good at the majority of the games but unfamiliar with a specific type. This is certainly the case for me when I do worse on a LG section than normal. Or it could be a specific type of question that shows up in multiple games, etc.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Tue May 24, 2011 1:13 am

Where is the -5 coming from? Is it from one logic game? I found that I scored either -0/-1 or -4/-5 on my LG. This is because occasionally I would just drop the ball on an individual logic game. After going through the LG Bible, I am reliably getting -0/-1 on LG because I never drop a question anymore. The key for me was learning all the different game types and how to efficiently diagram each one. Turns out I was good at diagramming all games but one subtype, and that's how the Bible helped me.

On the other hand, if the -5 is distributed across all games, most likely you have a speed issue. You'll need to work on your speed and precision in this case. I have no advice for specific methods since I have never worked on this.

gator89

Postby gator89 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:13 am

The -5 aren't all from one game, but can all be traced back to me not knowing how to effectively do a game. I will miss 2 on the game that I don't know how to set up and then since I spend so much time on this game I can't finish the last game.

I guess that I will try a strategy in which I will quickly glance at each game as soon as time begins to notice if there are any that could give me trouble. I will spend the next couple of days trying to isolate which games are taking the most time.

cardsfan04

Postby cardsfan04 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Something I do in this section (and somebody please correct me if I'm giving bad advice) is to decide if a question set will be easy or hard. I try to do the easy ones first to lock down, hopefully, perfect scores in them. If I run out of time, I want it to be on a section that I might struggle with anyway. I'd rather blindly guess on a question that I'm skeptical about answering correctly than one that might be a sure-thing.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”