Running out of PTs while still needing huge gains....

darkatillam2

Running out of PTs while still needing huge gains....

Postby darkatillam2 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:01 pm

So I'm taking the June LSAT.

I'm aiming for 165-170.

Averaging 156-165 (big spread, but the lower end of that scale typically comes from running out of time on RC and maybe a question or two on LR).

As of now, I have PTs 59-61 left (a total of 3). What the hell do I do? Better yet, what do I do when I go to retake in October?

I've done all of the 20s, 30s, almost all the 40s, 50-58, and A,B,C + 51.5. I have PTs 10-19 but I've chopped a lot of those up for experimental sections.

I didn't take a class, but maybe I should?

I've read all the bibles multiple times, along with Superprep, Master the Lsat, and a crappy Kaplan book, so it's looking like I'm running out of options.

It might seem crazy that I'm still scoring in the 150s all things considering. Trust me, it's driving me bonkers as well. I have been improving on my LR's and my LG is pretty much perfect. RC is really destroying me (around -10 on almost all the latest PTs with the exception of two -4s).

I know it seems strange to have an upward goal of 170 while not even getting close on any of the 30-40 PTs I've taken so far. But in all honesty, I feel like I'm on the brink of some really huge gains. LR questions are starting to become more second nature (I still need to iron out some stupid mistakes and timing issues), my LG sections is more a matter of not misreading a stem to miss a question (normally I'm -0 or -1/2), and I'm trying to tweak my annotation style to see if it yields me better speed and understanding.

Advice on study tips?

AFS

Re: Running out of PTs while still needing huge gains....

Postby AFS » Mon May 23, 2011 7:23 pm

Have you been taking the time to thoroughly review after tests? That in itself usually takes at least twice as long as taking the test themselves. If you know what you are doing wrong, you know what you need to fix for next time.

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:53 pm

Yea, I've been reviewing all my PTs + writing explanations on why I got question wrong. The Manhattan LSAT forum has been very helpful in reviewing my LR questions. I only wish I had found it months ago while I was still running through the bulk of the 20s and 30s.

My RC review has been lackluster. I'm finding it hard to review my RC sections and actually gain something from the process. Finding exactly what line the answer was from doesn't seem to help me improve on future sections. I have gotten a better eye for finding what is important, but there always seem to be one or two AC's I'm split between, and the time it takes me to finally nail one down hurts me in the end.

The whole process itself is demoralizing. I had high hopes and put in the work, but have yet to really feel like I am where I need to be. I guess since I'm applying for T10-T40 a retake isn't a terrible thing, but still. The mental toll might be affecting my results, who knows. I know I don't need a break, because anytime I break due to "burn out" it makes me rusty when I come back. Bah! Time to take a short pool break, and study more.

vodkashot

Postby vodkashot » Mon May 23, 2011 8:08 pm

When you review your tests, do you examine your tests to find a pattern in the types of questions/method of attacking the question you're doing wrong? What helped me was not only writing explanations to why my answers were incorrect, but also comparing all my wrong answers across PTs to see what if there was something I was doing wrong (e.g. this sounds stupid, but after comparing my PTs I realized I was getting a lot of parallel reasoning questions in LR wrong in the past b/c I tended to save them for last and often when I was strapped for time, I wrote down diagrams that were very messy and often misread the diagrams--now, I force myself to slow down even when I'm strapped for time and write everything very neatly).

kurtparrish

Postby kurtparrish » Mon May 23, 2011 8:44 pm

Instead of doing only 3 PT's in the time before test day, you could do 2 that you've already done - followed by one that you haven't done yet. In other words, before now and test day, do 9 practice tests (6 you've already done - which could help you reinforce questions you've gotten wrong, and 3 fresh ones. Don't worry, you'll be fine!

And don't go into it thinking you're going to be retaking in October!

On a lighter note, the good news is that you have a pool. (Assuming you're not talking about a billiards break)

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:42 am

Good idea not coming into thinking I will retake. I think that pulls away from the motivation. I really hope you're right! I'm nervous x 100000!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”