Using Kaplan prep materials without taking the course?

krasivaya

Using Kaplan prep materials without taking the course?

Postby krasivaya » Mon May 23, 2011 5:22 pm

I just bought the endurance and pacing practices as well as the homework mastery book from the 2008 Kaplan LSAT course and I'm debating using it or returning it. Would they be a good supplement to the traditional Powerscore bibles/PT's/superprep or would they be confusing to use without course instruction? Are the methods that much different from the Powescore methods? Are the practice tests just repeats of those I'd buy otherwise? I've flipped through them but without knowing much about the actual prep process I feel incapable of making an informed decision beyond "buy everything remotely helpful!"

JD2014

Re: Using Kaplan prep materials without taking the course?

Postby JD2014 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:55 pm

I haven't used Kaplan, but a lot of people use the Powerscore Bibles followed by the 10 Actual LSAT books, and practice tests 38 onward individually. If Kaplan uses LSAT questions, you can probably get them cheaper from LSAC, and if they write their own, unless you have an incredible amount of time to prepare, why not just use LSACs?

I based my study schedules off this website, and was pretty satisfied.

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/p/month-ls ... plans.html

seancris

Re: Using Kaplan prep materials without taking the course?

Postby seancris » Wed May 25, 2011 2:07 pm

This is pure opinion, but I bought one of the basic books from Kaplan and wasn't satisfied. It was just one of their basic "strategies, practice, and review" books for 2011. The info was practically useless for me. The diagramming strategies were confusing/didn't apply to most games and their 4-5 step methods were redundant.

For that reason I'm not going to take a Kaplan course if I have to retest in October.

Powerscore and actual PTs seems like the way to go.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”