Question about prep classes

Blahh_Blahh

Question about prep classes

Postby Blahh_Blahh » Mon May 23, 2011 1:36 am

So I know there's a lot about prep classes in these forums but I don't think there's anything that exactly addresses my question. Which is: If somebody were to take a prep class (a good one, such as PowerScore or TestMasters), went to all the classes, and did ALL the homework, plus a lot of the additional PTs that the class provides you with, would that be considered sufficient studying for the LSAT?

The prep classes are spread over a two-month period. I think PowerScore gives you 14 additional PTs. So if all I did to prepare was go to class, do the homework, and take those PTs, would I be ready for the actual LSAT? Or does the LSAT require a lot more self-studying and going over specific questions outside of class?

I have a feeling the answers to the former question are either going to be "it depends on the person" or "prep courses suck", but I thought I'd ask anyway.

tourdeforcex

Re: Question about prep classes

Postby tourdeforcex » Mon May 23, 2011 6:51 am

i think you're right in that it depends on the person.

are you good at learning from prep courses? are you very familiar w/ the LSAT now? have you taken LSATs in timed conditions? what are your goals? sufficient study is inherently dependent on what your goals are. if your goals are to break 151, i bet it is sufficient. if your goal is to break 175, probably not.

and now that i write that out, i'm going to guess you're aiming for 170+. and i would say from my experience (i took TM), the true preparation is your self-study. prep courses offer a strategy and an organized approach to practicing, but you are the one that needs to practice. so technically, if you do ALL the homework, and then ALL the supplemental material, and then ALL the suggested prep work in the weeks before the exam, and ALL the review they recommend, you actually are doing a lot of self-study. (w/ TM, you literally do all the problems ever issued by LSAC officially)

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon May 23, 2011 1:20 pm

Since most of the good test prep companies (and I'll selfishly add Blueprint to the list) give you access to every question released by the LSAC either in the lessons, on homework, or through practice tests, if you've exhausted all of the provided materials, I don't know what else you could do to prep. Most classes assume that you're reviewing the lessons and questions you have issues with on your own time (or when you corral the instructor after/before class) if you're aiming for a top score. I guess you could supplement the non-Powerscore classes with the Powerscore Bibles, but that might cause some issues with competing methods.

Oh, you should add the SuperPrep to any of those courses.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:25 pm

Blahh_Blahh wrote:So I know there's a lot about prep classes in these forums but I don't think there's anything that exactly addresses my question. Which is: If somebody were to take a prep class (a good one, such as PowerScore or TestMasters), went to all the classes, and did ALL the homework, plus a lot of the additional PTs that the class provides you with, would that be considered sufficient studying for the LSAT?

The prep classes are spread over a two-month period. I think PowerScore gives you 14 additional PTs. So if all I did to prepare was go to class, do the homework, and take those PTs, would I be ready for the actual LSAT? Or does the LSAT require a lot more self-studying and going over specific questions outside of class?

I have a feeling the answers to the former question are either going to be "it depends on the person" or "prep courses suck", but I thought I'd ask anyway.

What you outlined is almost sufficient, but you need to add LOTS and LOTS of review. Every question you get wrong needs to be looked over carefully, and preferably copied and done over at a later time. When I took Blueprint's course, I'd do 20 or so homework problems at a time, then go back with a red pen and write sentence explanations for each question I got wrong. This would include an explanation as to why each of the wrong answer choices is wrong (and don't settle for cop-out explanations like... it's just out of scope. there is a definitive reason why the answer is wrong) and why the right answer is correct.

Also, what shinners said, the SuperPrep book is great. It's a bit old, but the explanations are golden. You really get a sense of how the testmakers approach making questions.

Edit: When you're reviewing your wrong answers, don't resort to looking at the prep course's explanation until AFTER you've made your own explanation. You really can short-circuit the value of review by consulting the answer guide too quickly. That said, you absolutely SHOULD consult the guide afterwards though, because you can often get a different perspective that'll help you on future questions.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:46 pm

I'm taking Testmasters now, and let me say this: there might only be 11 supplemental diagnostics (and 4 full, proctored ones over the course of...the course), there is so much supplemental work--homework--that you're pretty much doing every single released LSAT question. I've been doing a couple hours of homework every day, with a diagnostic pretty much every other day for the past two weeks, and it's about as much preparation as I can take--and I'm doing MAYBE a third of the homework. There's honestly close to 100 pages of extra work to do between classes. It's as much LSATing as you could imagine.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”