seancris

Postby seancris » Sun May 22, 2011 10:10 pm

Last edited by seancris on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seancris

Postby seancris » Sun May 22, 2011 10:11 pm

Last edited by seancris on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecactus

Re: First PT under actual testing conditions

Postby thecactus » Mon May 23, 2011 5:28 am

I think the RC questions in recent years have gotten more difficult, beyond the addition of comparative passages. More abstract extrapolation, as opposed to a straightforward test of comprehension. This might explain why you took more time to get through the 2010 RC section than you normally do.

Bottom line: get your hands on some recent RC sections pronto. Even if you don't generally struggle with RC, you should get used to the new passages sooner rather than later. If nerves are a problem for you, you do not want to be surprised on the day of the test.

Other than that, the LG games seem to get easier (at least to me) in later tests. LR isn't more difficult so much as the test writers seem to be finding more creative ways of phrasing common question stems.

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Mon May 23, 2011 6:42 am

is it unheard of to experience such a significant drop due to nerves, etc. during one's first test under actual condistions?

i don't think so. in fact from my own experience, i simply don't test as well in a test center w/ the knowledge that it is test day. i wish i could say otherwise but it is what it is. i tested in my room w/ strict timed conditions between 168-174, averaging like 169.5 but on test day, i got a 165. decided this is substantially below PTs retook, got a 167 still below the average.

what i'd say is try to PT w/ recent tests in very similar environments. strict timing of course. maybe a library or quiet cafe--somewhere where there is some white noise and maybe a girl who coughs every 8 minutes. learn to completely zone in. best wishes

j12

Postby j12 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:25 pm

Honestly I think the December 2010 test was just hard as balls. Obviously it's still a curved test so you just had to suck less than everyone else.
I was PTing in the same range as you, and honestly Ithought I scored around 160 when I left the test. I ended up with a 167. Don't get down on yourself, just keep practicing under test conditions, and don't use scratch paper because that won't be available for you come test day.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:34 pm

nerves absolutely killed me on test day. i retook, and, knowing that my nerves had gotten the best of me the first time, i went in for my retake prepared to minimize them as much as possible. i got a massage the night before the test, woke up early and did a few logic games and looked over a few tests, then got to the test center early, but not too early, scoped out the room so i knew what to expect and then settled down to go over a few more problems just to get my brain moving, then moved into the testing room when it was time.

during the test, the best advice i can give is to compartmentalize. do section one and don't think about anything else. when you are done with section one, forget it completely. don't think about how one question slowed you down, or how you didn't finish (if you didn't) or how you think you may have missed more than usual. it's over. just focus on section two. do that through the test. b/c for me, worrying about section one led me to do poorly on section two, etc and it was all downhill from there.

eta: this strategy helped me to improve 14 points from test one ----> retake

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”