Getting enough sleep the night before

Strange

Getting enough sleep the night before

Postby Strange » Sun May 22, 2011 7:49 pm

I'm sure there are others like me who have trouble sleeping when they know they got something big coming the next day or their mind is really excited. What are some methods to help yourself get a good night's rest the day before the test? Sleeping aides don't help because they usually make you drowsy the next day.

northwood

Re: Getting enough sleep the night before

Postby northwood » Sun May 22, 2011 7:57 pm

Set your sleep cycle 2 weeks before the test by waking up at yoru targeted test day time on monday ( the test is at noon so you have more time in the am) Dont nap during the day, and go to bed earlier. Dont drink caffeine or eat a lot of sugars in the late afternoon/ evening. You need to re establish your waking and resting cycles, so that the night before the test its more of a routine, and not a drastic change. The week of the test ( starting on saturday or sunday of this weekend) make sure to get enough sleep throughout the week- so lay off alcohol and caffeine. That way you wont be as tired if and when you spend most of sunday night tossing and turning. Expect and plan for tossing and turning the night before ( this is just like the night before a big game or other big event) and when it happens just lie there and close your eyes. Dont fight it- as that will wake you up by stimulating your brain, but just go with the flow and remember that you hagve prepped effectively for the test. More than likely nerves will come the night before the test- and not very far in advance. That is why its important to get on a sleep rountine now, and make sure you are well rested the week leading up to the test.

Also- before you walk into the test, be sure not to drink any diarretics. Your nerves and adrenaline will be pumping and you dont want to be totally jittery for section 1. USe the check in time, and the direction taking time to calm yourself down by doing some sort of breathing exercise. who cares what other testers think or say- you will be calm and ready and they will be a ball of neves when the proctor say you may begin section 1 now.

maxpower430

Postby maxpower430 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:57 pm

i definitely have the same problem, it's rough. i'd recommend googling sleep hygiene and implementing it now (it's stuff like not using comp/watching tv etc an hour or so before bedtime). it's helped my sleep a lot generally, though i haven't had a chance to see how it pans out in a setting like lsat.

i also plan on getting a solid workout in the day before, nothing crazy but enough so that i'll be tired. past that, i don't think there's a lot you can do. i have an ambien rx but it's 50/50 if im groggy the next day so i won't be using it. good luck.

Strange

Postby Strange » Sun May 22, 2011 8:11 pm

northwood wrote:Set your sleep cycle 2 weeks before the test by waking up at yoru targeted test day time on monday ( the test is at noon so you have more time in the am) Dont nap during the day, and go to bed earlier. Dont drink caffeine or eat a lot of sugars in the late afternoon/ evening. You need to re establish your waking and resting cycles, so that the night before the test its more of a routine, and not a drastic change. The week of the test ( starting on saturday or sunday of this weekend) make sure to get enough sleep throughout the week- so lay off alcohol and caffeine. That way you wont be as tired if and when you spend most of sunday night tossing and turning. Expect and plan for tossing and turning the night before ( this is just like the night before a big game or other big event) and when it happens just lie there and close your eyes. Dont fight it- as that will wake you up by stimulating your brain, but just go with the flow and remember that you hagve prepped effectively for the test. More than likely nerves will come the night before the test- and not very far in advance. That is why its important to get on a sleep rountine now, and make sure you are well rested the week leading up to the test.

Also- before you walk into the test, be sure not to drink any diarretics. Your nerves and adrenaline will be pumping and you dont want to be totally jittery for section 1. USe the check in time, and the direction taking time to calm yourself down by doing some sort of breathing exercise. who cares what other testers think or say- you will be calm and ready and they will be a ball of neves when the proctor say you may begin section 1 now.

And what are diarretics? :?

I guess that's my big problem that even when I just lie there I still can't go to sleep, but I'll try to practice this in the coming weeks.

Last night, I went to sleep but then I woke up again, fell back asleep, and woke up again... so I ended up getting my 8-9 hours but it wasn't a peaceful sleep and I ended up waking up at 11 instead of 9 which is my target. I have other things going on my life that are distracting, but I definitely think the fact that I was taking another PT today played a factor (yesterday was the first time I scored in the 170's so I feel a lot of pressure to maintain that)

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun May 22, 2011 8:16 pm

^
....it's diuretic. anyway diuretics make you pee, like caffeine.

personally i would never go into the lsat without drinking caffeine, but i'm a coffee addict.

Strange

Postby Strange » Sun May 22, 2011 8:16 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:^
....it's diuretic. anyway diuretics make you pee, like caffeine.

personally i would never go into the lsat without drinking caffeine, but i'm a coffee addict.

I don't drink coffee at all so I guess I don't have that problem.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun May 22, 2011 8:22 pm

Diuretics are coffee, soda, alcohol- drinks that make you dehydrated ( and your body just pees out as waste). Sorry for the spelling fail.

Its fine that you havent been able to go to sleep when you want. Your body is used to its current routine, and any changes to it means that your body will have to adjust and learn how to make the new routine a routine. THats why you should do this this week- and not make any drastic changes the few days before the test.

When you lie in your bed, even though you arent sleeping- you are resting. It may not be as peaceful or resting as when you get 8-9 hours of contiuous sleep, but its better than being up and about, actively engaging in your surrounding environment. Although it would be better if you slept through the night, be ready for a night of restless sleep ( wake up every few hours). Dont think about how many hours you have before you wake up, just close your eyes and dont analyze too many things. If one this is on your mind- and you cant sleep until you do something about it- put a pad of paper and a pen by your bed and when it wakes you up, just jot down a sentence or 2 about it- that way you know you addressed the issue, and even though you havent made an action plan or solved it, at least you did SOMETHING about it. Hopefully that will let you go back to sleep, if not give you some sort of peace of mind.

Try not to think about all of the other distractions in your life. If you cant solve it quickly- dont htink about it until after the test. IF its super major, then maybe you should post pone, but if its non life threatening or life altering, then it can probably wait until after the LSAT- then attack the issue and conquor it. The week of the LSAT- think of it not as OMG LSAT DAY, but think of this as PT 63, and not the big one. After all, a week after the exam, it will become pt 63 to the rest of the world. Be confident in your lsat few pts, and dominate pt63 like you did the rest!

soj

Postby soj » Sun May 22, 2011 8:45 pm

Thank you so much for the awesome tips, northwood.

iphone7

Postby iphone7 » Sun May 22, 2011 9:02 pm

I had sleeping issues during high school and went to my doctor about it and he gave me a few useful tips that I use on a regular basis. The first is that you should sleep in dark silence. If the body is tempted to have some sensory input then it will be more difficult to go to sleep. Sometimes this silent darkness isn't possible, but it is ideal. Second, there is a type of meditation in which you focus on your breathing and repeat a word mentally over and over. I use the word calm. If you focus on breathing and this word then you have very little mental room for anything else such as worry. Third, a schedule is incredibly useful. If you can start now going to bed at a time and waking up at a time, then it won't be as difficult to go to bed at that time on June 5. I started waking up at 8:30 and going to bed at midnight earlier this week. These tips have really helped me.

theaether

Postby theaether » Mon May 23, 2011 1:34 am

northwood wrote:Diuretics are coffee, soda, alcohol- drinks that make you dehydrated ( and your body just pees out as waste). Sorry for the spelling fail.

Its fine that you havent been able to go to sleep when you want. Your body is used to its current routine, and any changes to it means that your body will have to adjust and learn how to make the new routine a routine. THats why you should do this this week- and not make any drastic changes the few days before the test.

When you lie in your bed, even though you arent sleeping- you are resting. It may not be as peaceful or resting as when you get 8-9 hours of contiuous sleep, but its better than being up and about, actively engaging in your surrounding environment. Although it would be better if you slept through the night, be ready for a night of restless sleep ( wake up every few hours). Dont think about how many hours you have before you wake up, just close your eyes and dont analyze too many things. If one this is on your mind- and you cant sleep until you do something about it- put a pad of paper and a pen by your bed and when it wakes you up, just jot down a sentence or 2 about it- that way you know you addressed the issue, and even though you havent made an action plan or solved it, at least you did SOMETHING about it. Hopefully that will let you go back to sleep, if not give you some sort of peace of mind.

Try not to think about all of the other distractions in your life. If you cant solve it quickly- dont htink about it until after the test. IF its super major, then maybe you should post pone, but if its non life threatening or life altering, then it can probably wait until after the LSAT- then attack the issue and conquor it. The week of the LSAT- think of it not as OMG LSAT DAY, but think of this as PT 63, and not the big one. After all, a week after the exam, it will become pt 63 to the rest of the world. Be confident in your lsat few pts, and dominate pt63 like you did the rest!

you're like a guru. just wondering, what do you suggest I do for the hour before the test if I don't use the internet? i can't htink of anything because i always use the internet right before i sleep. and i think it does cause my mind to fill up with too many thoughts because i'm chatting with so many people and reading so many different things. like right now, i'm abotu to sleep, but i'm sure i'll just think about LSAT sleeping patterns etc etc lol

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon May 23, 2011 1:51 am

Not to say that getting a good night's sleep isn't a good idea, but just thought I'd put it out there that I only got about 4 hrs sleep and did my average (actually .25 better) on the LSAT. So if you end up not getting as much sleep as you'd like, don't freak out too much.

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:29 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:Not to say that getting a good night's sleep isn't a good idea, but just thought I'd put it out there that I only got about 4 hrs sleep and did my average (actually .25 better) on the LSAT. So if you end up not getting as much sleep as you'd like, don't freak out too much.

Yea I slept hardly at all the night before exam, and while that sucked not being able to fall asleep, I still felt pretty alert on test day (nervous energy or excitement or whatever), so I wouldn't sweat it too much. But I would recommend adjusting your sleep cycle a few weeks in advance.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Tue May 24, 2011 12:44 am

northwood wrote:Set your sleep cycle 2 weeks before the test by waking up at yoru targeted test day time on monday ( the test is at noon so you have more time in the am) Dont nap during the day, and go to bed earlier. Dont drink caffeine or eat a lot of sugars in the late afternoon/ evening. You need to re establish your waking and resting cycles, so that the night before the test its more of a routine, and not a drastic change. The week of the test ( starting on saturday or sunday of this weekend) make sure to get enough sleep throughout the week- so lay off alcohol and caffeine. That way you wont be as tired if and when you spend most of sunday night tossing and turning. Expect and plan for tossing and turning the night before ( this is just like the night before a big game or other big event) and when it happens just lie there and close your eyes. Dont fight it- as that will wake you up by stimulating your brain, but just go with the flow and remember that you hagve prepped effectively for the test. More than likely nerves will come the night before the test- and not very far in advance. That is why its important to get on a sleep rountine now, and make sure you are well rested the week leading up to the test.

This is the truth. That being said, there is a good chance that you still won't get a great night sleep. But if you have 10 good nights of sleep in a row then your body can probably handle a below average night. Good luck with this, I think people underestimate how important things like this are.

By "like this" I mean making sure you know where you are going, where you parking, preparing to sleep, preparing your clear bag printing your ticket in advance etc.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:56 am

BrightLine wrote:

This is the truth. That being said, there is a good chance that you still won't get a great night sleep. But if you have 10 good nights of sleep in a row then your body can probably handle a below average night. Good luck with this, I think people underestimate how important things like this are.

By "like this" I mean making sure you know where you are going, where you parking, preparing to sleep, preparing your clear bag printing your ticket in advance etc.

I agree with this. Rest up before the test and be prepared and just expect and accept you arent going to get a great nights sleep.

Know where you are going, have your plastic bag, and pick your food and prep your sleep but remember that is not determinative of how you will do.

Its just another version of all the practice tests you've taken in there. Dont change your life routine radically and make some intense plan that if it goes wrong you will start feeling really negative - at least for me the best thing was to just remember no external: food, sleep, noise, warm-up problems will be the reason I do or don't well on this test - I have put in the prep and I am good at this test - time to rock it like I did the last few practice tests no matter whether my PBJ melted or I slept two hours - I can do this test half-asleep. Be relaxed and a little cocky and forget everything else.

Corwin

Postby Corwin » Tue May 24, 2011 1:08 am

White noise, not drinking caffeine after noon, lowering how much you drink, lots of things can help you get a better sleep. The biggest thing you can do for yourself is to adjust your sleep schedule several weeks before the actual test. Good luck!

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue May 24, 2011 9:01 am

I also recommend not doing any LSAT work on the day before the test. I took my last prep test on Thursday (for the Oct. 2010 administration). On Friday morning, I got all of my materials together and putting them into the plastic bag and putting them next to the front door of my house. After that, I didn't even think about the LSAT for the rest of the day but enjoyed a leisurely Friday - lunch out with friends, for example, and spent the evening in a coffee shop with my wife (drinking decaf). I slept pretty well the night before the test.

For me, the anxiety didn't hit until I got to the text center - then it crashed like a huge wave. I had put a copy of a logic game and its answer key in my bag and before I checked into my room, I worked through the logic game (I recommend one that you've done before that's in the middle of the road in terms of difficulty 0 you want to warm yourself up, not freak yourself out). It really helped me get a hold on my nerves.

Also, after you get checked in and seated, there will be a little wait time - I was in a small room so it wasn't too bad. After they hand out the materials, you will fill out all of the forms at once, so you'll be doing a lot of bubbling and whatnot before you take the test. I found it to be quite relaxing - it made the answer sheet less frightening somehow.

Hope this helps, even if it only tangentially related to the topic of this thread.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue May 24, 2011 10:49 pm

just remember that if you do any warm ups- make sure to throw the materials away before you walk in.

Its all about confidence at this point. While you may be able to solidify some aspects of the LSAT, you should not be focusing on learning, but rather fine tuneing and getting confidence up.

When you bubble in the test- use that time to calm your nerves. Focus on the bubbling and remind yourself that its just another practice test, but taken with a large group. If you prepped in a library or other public setting, then just reference that place and go on. IF you have prepped alone- then just think of it as taking a practice exam during a college class period ( if you havent graduated yet, or gradutated in May). Im sure a lot of people have spent some college class periods in the classroom, but doing something totally unrelated to the course at hand- so you may be able to think of that and calm down.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”