Reading aloud to yourself on the LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kingjones59

Bronze

Reading aloud to yourself on the LSAT?

Post by kingjones59 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:13 pm

Now obviously I do not meaning reading the questions aloud in a normal voice, but are you allowed to move your lips and make enough of a sound to where you can hear yourself speak the words? Or is that not allowed?

bartleby

Silver

Re: Reading aloud to yourself on the LSAT?

Post by bartleby » Sun May 22, 2011 6:20 pm

don't be an asshole.

kingjones59

Bronze

Post by kingjones59 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:24 pm

bartleby wrote:don't be an asshole.

That is not being "an asshole". No one will be able to hear it. I just want to know if they see your lips move will they kick you out

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:24 pm

kingjones59 wrote:Now obviously I do not meaning reading the questions aloud in a normal voice, but are you allowed to move your lips and make enough of a sound to where you can hear yourself speak the words? Or is that not allowed?
No but you can count on your fingers during the math portion.

kingjones59

Bronze

Post by kingjones59 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
kingjones59 wrote:Now obviously I do not meaning reading the questions aloud in a normal voice, but are you allowed to move your lips and make enough of a sound to where you can hear yourself speak the words? Or is that not allowed?

I dont get it

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:28 pm

kingjones59 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I dont get it
Since calculators aren't allowed, you can count on your fingers.

Seriously though, making audible sounds gets you kicked out. It's also a dick move against anyone near you. Just moving your lips probably isn't against the rules, but some proctor might think you are cheating.

You can't talk in your own head without moving your lips?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun May 22, 2011 6:29 pm

If there's a possibility that they'll see your lips moving and kick you out, then why would you risk it?

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Sun May 22, 2011 7:24 pm

I did silent lip moving during an initial 4 practice tests I took for diagnostic purposes. I think you'll find that while it helps in the short term, getting rid of this habit will drastically increase your reading speed and score on RC. You can think faster than you can move your lips.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:28 pm

There was a girl sitting near me in the LSAT who started doing this about the 3rd section in. I found it pretty obnoxious. She was reading to herself fairly quietly, but loud enough for me to hear, and it was in fact a distraction. So the answer, as others have basically indicated, is that reading aloud is not appropriate. If you want to mouth the words to yourself without making any peep then I think that wouldn't be rude and disruptive, but that would be reading *silently* rather than *aloud*.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:30 pm

Corwin wrote:I did silent lip moving during an initial 4 practice tests I took for diagnostic purposes. I think you'll find that while it helps in the short term, getting rid of this habit will drastically increase your reading speed and score on RC. You can think faster than you can move your lips.
This too. I've heard that the same applies for typing speed (that not internally sounding things out or mouthing the words actually increases typing speed).
Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Sun May 22, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:31 pm

The first half of this thread was pretty funny.

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Sun May 22, 2011 10:18 pm

Please don't. Nerves are running high that day, and the person next to you might not appreciate it. I remember being able to hear every little thing happening around me as if it was amplified 10x because I was so on edge.

Gideon Strumpet

Bronze

Post by Gideon Strumpet » Sun May 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Please do this. Bring a tiny little podium to put on the desk in front of you, and wear a purple velvet cape. Ideally you would learn to speak latin well enough to translate on the fly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Sun May 22, 2011 11:55 pm

Gideon Strumpet wrote:Please do this. Bring a tiny little podium to put on the desk in front of you, and wear a purple velvet cape. Ideally you would learn to speak latin well enough to translate on the fly.
I loled pretty hard again.

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Mon May 23, 2011 12:04 am

Desert Fox wrote:Since calculators aren't allowed, you can count on your fingers.

Seriously though, making audible sounds gets you kicked out. It's also a dick move against anyone near you. Just moving your lips probably isn't against the rules, but some proctor might think you are cheating.

Not having a calculator totally fucked me upon the math portion. I'd be T14 easy if it weren't for that.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:05 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Since calculators aren't allowed, you can count on your fingers.

Not having a calculator totally fucked me upon the math portion. I'd be T14 easy if it weren't for that.
The "T14" is a dead distinction.

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Mon May 23, 2011 12:09 am

dpk711 wrote:

The "T14" is a dead distinction.
Blatant anti-GULC trolling.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:12 am

fundamentallybroken wrote: Blatant anti-GULC trolling.
Go type in "GULC" on the search function see why.

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Mon May 23, 2011 12:13 am

dpk711 wrote:
I thought the preferred search term for GULC was "diploma mill".

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:20 am

dpk711 wrote:
I thought the preferred search term for GULC was "diploma mill".
Yeah, it actually has the distinction of being the only "law center" in the T14, lol.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Mon May 23, 2011 12:37 am

You can read faster and understand better without vocalizing anyway. This is also the reason you should try and get yourself to a point where you dont self-vocalize in your head while you read. So not only would you be an asshole for ruining everyone's testing day around you, but you'd be hurting yourself.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

8ballistic

New

Post by 8ballistic » Mon May 23, 2011 1:00 am

Another thing to consider is that you will have to stop reading to take breaths.

justbubbles

Bronze

Post by justbubbles » Mon May 23, 2011 1:20 am

Assuming that OP is not a troll, I am prepared to give him/her the benefit of the doubt.

The truth is: OP's question is a valid and a legitimate one.

I grew up with a speech impediment (ie. excessive stuttering), but fortunately I overcame that. But having been to many speech therapy sessions as a kid, I can confirm that there are adults who stutter, those who also have the need to read out loud what they read. Those with speech (and cognitive) impediments have trouble computing text from one medium to the neurological senses.

I no longer need to read out loudly what I read, but I do know those that do. LSAC provides accommodations to those who might have this disorder. Chances are that LSAC, if approved, might place a test-taker in a separate room. Although, convincing LSAT to grant accommodations will take ages, lots of money, expert opinion, medical evidence, aggravation and more.

I think it is completely distasteful to poke fun at people those who are genuinely challenged in this regard. :( I realize that there are trolls, but let's be sensitive to those who might actually have the need to blur out stuff that they read.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:53 am

justbubbles wrote:Assuming that OP is not a troll, I am prepared to give him/her the benefit of the doubt.

The truth is: OP's question is a valid and a legitimate one.

I grew up with a speech impediment (ie. excessive stuttering), but fortunately I overcame that. But having been to many speech therapy sessions as a kid, I can confirm that there are adults who stutter, those who also have the need to read out loud what they read. Those with speech (and cognitive) impediments have trouble computing text from one medium to the neurological senses.

I no longer need to read out loudly what I read, but I do know those that do. LSAC provides accommodations to those who might have this disorder. Chances are that LSAC, if approved, might place a test-taker in a separate room. Although, convincing LSAT to grant accommodations will take ages, lots of money, expert opinion, medical evidence, aggravation and more.

I think it is completely distasteful to poke fun at people those who are genuinely challenged in this regard. :( I realize that there are trolls, but let's be sensitive to those who might actually have the need to blur out stuff that they read.

If OP actually has a speech disorder (that others were aware of), some of the comments could be crossing a line IMO. However, OP didn't suggest that this is the case as far as I can tell (that he has a diagnosable speech condition), so I think you may be reading your own experience into what he said. Many people vocalize or sub-vocalize while reading (I know I do at times), but vocalizing during the LSAT ('reading aloud') simply isn't appropriate IMO. I think that has been the point people have been making, if a bit direct, harsh, and sarcastic at times.

justbubbles

Bronze

Post by justbubbles » Mon May 23, 2011 3:47 am

Agreed. That's fair. We don't know much about OP.

I wasn't singling out anyone per se. All I wanted to assert was that sometimes these types of inquiries just might not be all that frivolous as it may seem at first glance. That's all. :P cheers!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”