Does it make sense to prepare 2 years in advance?

anon00

Does it make sense to prepare 2 years in advance?

Postby anon00 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:00 pm

Hello everyone!

I am a rising junior in college and am trying to decide how to organize the next few years of my life. I will be studying abroad in the Spring of 2012, so taking the June 2012 LSAT is probably not my best bet, but I would definitely like to give myself two chances to take the LSAT. I've been playing around with the idea of taking it in June and October of 2013 after graduation and working for a year before going to law school. Currently my LSAC gpa is about a 3.97 and obviously I still have 2 years left so it can still go down quite easily.

Now here is my question... does it make sense to begin preparing for the LSAT this summer? I definitely do not want to "waste my GPA" as I've read over and over again on the forums and I want to give myself ample time to prepare, however, I am concerned that it is a waste of resources to start now.

Thanks for all your help!

kingjones59

Re: Does it make sense to prepare 2 years in advance?

Postby kingjones59 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:15 pm

No. Two years is ridiculous. More studying does not necessarily mean a higher score. Start looking at it 6 months in advance, do about 3-4 months of hard studying. That is all you need

Postby 09042014 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:18 pm

Any more than 3 months is doing it wrong.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Any more than 3 months is doing it wrong.

Normally I would agree with this, but I've actually seen a few people who studied for over 2 years and improved significantly. One of them got a 135 or so on the diag and actually ended up with a 175 on the real thing. It looks like though (looking at your GPA) you have the raw intelligence and the work ethic to do well on the LSAT given a couple of months of good prep. Also, I agree about wasting that beautiful GPA -- if you score a 172+ any law school really is possible.

Straw_Mandible

Postby Straw_Mandible » Sun May 22, 2011 6:49 pm

Dear OP,

This might be a strange question, but are you me?

Seriously, everything in your post applies to me as well (exact GPA, year, planned semester abroad, thoughts and considerations). Weird, huh?

In any event, I started my LSAT prep a few months ago, and I plan to sit for the test in 2 years. More prep time is always better. Pace yourself, get familiar with the test, build up the necessary skills now so that you can refine them during the normal 3-6 month study period. It makes a ton of sense. You We will only be better off because of it.

Best wishes,

SM

Postby 09042014 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:51 pm

Straw_Mandible wrote:Dear OP,

Seriously, everything in your post applies to me as well (exact GPA, year, planned semester abroad, thoughts and considerations). Weird, huh?

In any event, I started my LSAT prep a few months ago, and I plan to sit for the test in 2 years. More prep time is always better. Pace yourself, get familiar with the test, build up the necessary skills now so that you can refine them during the normal 3-6 month study period. It makes a ton of sense. You We will only be better off because of it.

Best wishes,

SM

More isn't always better. There is a finite amount of study material, and you'll drive yourself insane over two years. My fucking god, it's a skills test. Not a dissertation.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Straw_Mandible wrote:Dear OP,

Best wishes,

SM

More isn't always better. There is a finite amount of study material, and you'll drive yourself insane over two years. My fucking god, it's a skills test. Not a dissertation.

As an LSAT tutor I've seen most hit a wall after 4 months of study. TBH though there are some who consistently improve after even a year of studying. Every point counts and use the time if you can improve your score.

Stanley Otto Swift

Postby Stanley Otto Swift » Sun May 22, 2011 6:54 pm

you can start now but stay away from all LSAT materials. You will need those later. Take a logic class, maybe even two. Read dense material in your free time. Check out Anthony Weston's Rulebook for Arguments, or Deborah Bennett's Logic Made Easy. There are a number of very good introductory logic texts out there. Do sudoku or other puzzles. All of this will help your score.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:59 pm

Stanley Otto Swift wrote:you can start now but stay away from all LSAT materials. You will need those later. Take a logic class, maybe even two. Read dense material in your free time. Check out Anthony Weston's Rulebook for Arguments, or Deborah Bennett's Logic Made Easy. There are a number of very good introductory logic texts out there. Do sudoku or other puzzles. All of this will help your score.

From my experience I'm not sure if logic classes really help. All the logic you need to learn are in the bibles IMHO.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Sun May 22, 2011 7:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote: More isn't always better. There is a finite amount of study material, and you'll drive yourself insane over two years. My fucking god, it's a skills test. Not a dissertation.

I think this is the biggest issue. It shouldn't take you anywhere near 2 years to take every prep test available. And, you shouldn't even need every single prep test to reach your potential. I'm not sure what you could do in 2 years that you couldn't do equally well in 3 months of rigorous study. That's 21 extra months to spend doing enjoyable things like studying in another country or studying a subject you care about as more than a means to an end. Or getting drunk and partying or whatever suites your fancy.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:12 pm

It's possible. I know people who did all 3 bibles, the Cambridge LG book and LR book, Superprep, and all 60 or so preptests reviewing each question they got wrong and right thoroughly. Also they retook all of the preptests at least once for endurance building purposes.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun May 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Don't start studying till at most nine months in advance of the test. Unless you planning on keeping up an LSAT practice schedule so you can retain the skills you acquire in your LSAT prep.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Disagree here. The better score, the better your cycle. All studying for 2 years can do is waste time, it won't hurt you.

510Chicken

Postby 510Chicken » Sun May 22, 2011 7:21 pm

I began preparing minutes after birth.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:23 pm

510Chicken wrote:I began preparing minutes after birth.

Was this when you were a chick(en) or an egg?

Kimchi_smile

Postby Kimchi_smile » Sun May 22, 2011 7:31 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: More isn't always better. There is a finite amount of study material, and you'll drive yourself insane over two years. My fucking god, it's a skills test. Not a dissertation.

I think this is the biggest issue. It shouldn't take you anywhere near 2 years to take every prep test available. And, you shouldn't even need every single prep test to reach your potential. I'm not sure what you could do in 2 years that you couldn't do equally well in 3 months of rigorous study. That's 21 extra months to spend doing enjoyable things like studying in another country or studying a subject you care about as more than a means to an end. Or getting drunk and partying or whatever suites your fancy.

+1.

Perhaps OP can wait for new PTs to come out during the two years and take them. But I'm not in agreement with the two year prep plan. 6 really good months of preparation are more than adequate.

dpk711 wrote:
510Chicken wrote:I began preparing minutes after birth.

Was this when you were a chick(en) or an egg?

LOL. :lol:

Stanley Otto Swift

Postby Stanley Otto Swift » Sun May 22, 2011 7:46 pm

dpk711 wrote:
Stanley Otto Swift wrote:you can start now but stay away from all LSAT materials. You will need those later. Take a logic class, maybe even two. Read dense material in your free time. Check out Anthony Weston's Rulebook for Arguments, or Deborah Bennett's Logic Made Easy. There are a number of very good introductory logic texts out there. Do sudoku or other puzzles. All of this will help your score.

From my experience I'm not sure if logic classes really help. All the logic you need to learn are in the bibles IMHO.

They help with the mastery of concepts, so I don't see how they wouldn't be a net benefit. I do understand that such a class may not be necessary for such mastery, but the OP is thinking about prepping for 2 years, which is obviously overkill. Anything to get his mind off the test is to be recommended IMHO.

Stanley Otto Swift

Postby Stanley Otto Swift » Sun May 22, 2011 7:48 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:Disagree here. The better score, the better your cycle. All studying for 2 years can do is waste time, it won't hurt you.

but prepping too early with actual test material will cause you to run through all of your resources well in advance of when you need to be at your best, i.e. test day.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Sun May 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Is there a reason why you are against going straight from UG?

anon00

Postby anon00 » Sun May 22, 2011 9:50 pm

Wow, so many responses! Thanks for everyone's input! Seems like the consensus is to wait to study, which I will most likely do.

SM -- I might be you... ;)

Stanley Otto Swift -- Thanks for the specific advice! I will definitely look into those resources!

FantasticMrFox -- I would like to work a year before going to law school because I am a business major and would like that experience before beginning law school. I really feel that work experience can only help me when it comes to getting a job after law school.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”