Am I diagramming this correctly? EDIT: Help with PT 13 LG 9

cardsfan04

Am I diagramming this correctly? EDIT: Help with PT 13 LG 9

Postby cardsfan04 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:11 pm

"If Nancy is scheduled for Tuesday, Iris is scheduled for Monday."

Nt--->Im
I/m--->N/t (If Iris is not scheduled for Monday, Nancy is not scheduled for Tuesday).

"If Harry is scheduled for Monday, Nancy is scheduled for Friday."

Hm--->Nf
N/f--->H/m (If Nancy is not scheduled for Friday, Harry is not scheduled for Monday.)

Am I getting the correct contrapositives?
Last edited by cardsfan04 on Sun May 22, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Gentleman

Re: Am I diagramming this correctly?

Postby The Gentleman » Sun May 22, 2011 2:13 pm

cardsfan04 wrote:"If Nancy is scheduled for Tuesday, Iris is scheduled for Monday."

Nt--->Im
I/m--->N/t (If Iris is not scheduled for Monday, Nancy is not scheduled for Tuesday).

"If Harry is scheduled for Monday, Nancy is scheduled for Friday."

Hm--->Nf
N/f--->H/m (If Nancy is not scheduled for Friday, Harry is not scheduled for Monday.)

Am I getting the correct contrapositives?

Yep. You got it!

cardsfan04

Postby cardsfan04 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:20 pm

bleh, I was hoping I was doing something wrong there lol.

I must be misinterpreting this then:

"Kate is scheduled for the next day after the day for which Victor is scheduled."

I read that as "If Victor is on Tuesday, Kate is on Wednesday." Does that mean "If Victor is on Tuesday, Kate is on Thursday?" I thought the author was just trying to be needless wordy in saying that Kate is the day after Victor. Please tell me I read that incorrectly and that there is a day in between the two lol.

CoriOlivia

Postby CoriOlivia » Sun May 22, 2011 2:40 pm

cardsfan04 wrote:bleh, I was hoping I was doing something wrong there lol.

I must be misinterpreting this then:

"Kate is scheduled for the next day after the day for which Victor is scheduled."

I read that as "If Victor is on Tuesday, Kate is on Wednesday." Does that mean "If Victor is on Tuesday, Kate is on Thursday?" I thought the author was just trying to be needless wordy in saying that Kate is the day after Victor. Please tell me I read that incorrectly and that there is a day in between the two lol.

Don't listen to me. I didn't read it correctly. :)
Last edited by CoriOlivia on Mon May 23, 2011 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

cardsfan04

Re: Am I diagramming this correctly? EDIT: Help with PT 13 LG 9

Postby cardsfan04 » Sun May 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Can somebody explain the entire question to me please? It is from PT 13 LG question 9. I got 8 and 9 wrong, but 9 I cannot figure out even knowing the correct answer. I don't see how any of them could be true.

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun May 22, 2011 5:01 pm

cardsfan04 wrote:Can somebody explain the entire question to me please? It is from PT 13 LG question 9. I got 8 and 9 wrong, but 9 I cannot figure out even knowing the correct answer. I don't see how any of them could be true.

Question 9 assumes that Kate is in the wednesday slot. This means that victor is in the tuesday slot, since kate is the day after victor. (You should have the block diagrammed out VK

Here's the diagram: _____ __V__ __K__ _____ _____

Nancy cannot be in the monday slot, which means she must be in the thursday or friday slots.

Soooo... Can Iris be scheduled for Friday? That would push Nancy to Thursday but that would also push Harry to Monday. But if Harry's on Monday, then Nancy has to be on Friday. Option A is out.

Can Nancy be scheduled for Tuesday? No. That was easy - the first thing we figured out when Kate was Wedneday was that Victor is Tuesday.

C is the correct answer

D is out - Nancy can't be before Iris, because the only way for that to happen would be if Nancy was thursday and Iris was Friday, but that would leave Harry on Monday, which would push Nancy to Friday - Just like option A.

E is out because the only earlier date than Kate that is open is Monday, and Nancy can't be on Monday.

Once you get used to diagramming, this is a classic, fairly easy sequencing game. You will start to see the slots and blocks interrelating - so it will be second nature to you that Tuesday Wednesday are V and K, or even more generally, that since there's a VK block in five available spaces, the field is very limited in how it can be structured around that block.

cardsfan04

Postby cardsfan04 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks, that makes sense. Sequencing games seem to be giving me the most trouble in games sections. There was one about cruises that I took a month or two ago that gave me fits too, but I didn't think to ask for help here.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”