RC Scores Declining??

Lolschool

RC Scores Declining??

Postby Lolschool » Sun May 22, 2011 1:19 pm

I'm taking the June LSAT and have been able to improve my LR (-1 to -2 per section) and LG sections (-1 to -3) considerably, but have noticed a decline in my RC over the past two weeks. In my early diagnostics, RC was always my strongest section, and I would get no more than 2 wrong per section. Yesterday, I dropped a -6.

Any tips or advice?? RC should be my strongest section and I always finish it with at least a couple minutes remaining.

tourdeforcex

Re: RC Scores Declining??

Postby tourdeforcex » Mon May 23, 2011 6:34 am

first thing to evaluate is whether that -2 representation was accurate. maybe the types of passages were just easy to you. next is whether the "decline" is accurate also, maybe these types or the day you tested on them were just difficult.

all i can say is review and review some more. when you go back and look at the questions you got wrong, do you truly understand why your answer was wrong and why the credited response is credited? it's also worthwhile to open up those earlier strong RC sections and ask if you were just lucky on those

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:46 am

Shit happens and individual tests can give you problems. You also might have gotten complacent on certain parts of the practice tests so that your effort was higher of the parts that give you trouble rather than RC. Also, unlike LR, one mistake in RC and LG can fuck you pretty hard. I misread a rule on the real LSAT and missed 6 questions because of it (3 because I couldn't figure it out and 3 because I got time fucked trying to figure the other 3 out).

KingMenes

Postby KingMenes » Mon May 23, 2011 9:34 am

@lolschool

I'm in a similar situation as you; taking the June LSAT. In addition, my strongest section has always been RC, but on PTs 52-55 my RC declined to -8, which was to say the least, alarming. For example, on PT 55 my raw score was 78, missed -7 on RC. I'd been reading recreationally for the last two months every night, while also reading the POWERSCORE bibles and taking prep tests every other day. What I realized, is that the additional recreational reading of dense novels or non-fiction texts were draining the hell out of me and making it harder to focus on the reading passages on my timed prep tests. Immediately, I stopped the unecessary recreational reading outside of re-reading the POWERSCORE logic game bible on non-prep test days.

If you are an avid reader like me, you may be experiencing some sort of brain fatigue. Also, if you aren't taking any days off from the LSAT prep process you may be experiencing burnout. Take a day or two to relax; you'll be much refreshed for this final stretch.

Good luck on the June test.

vodkashot

Postby vodkashot » Mon May 23, 2011 7:37 pm

I think it's because RC sections have become more difficult in the more recent tests (i.e. the 50s). I'm sort of in the same boat--on the earlier PTs I used to average -1 or -2 (with a lot of 0s) in RC with 5 extra minutes of time before I finish, but with the RCs in the 50s I'm getting -3 and -4s and even running out of time sometimes.

Just keep practicing more with the newer RCs, I doubt the trend for trickier RCs is going to end this June.

rubydandun

Postby rubydandun » Mon May 23, 2011 8:56 pm

Yup, pretty well known that RC gets considerably more difficult in PT's 50 and up. It gets harder while LG gets easier and LR stays about the same.

Treat RC like an extended LR

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue May 24, 2011 7:32 pm

rubydandun wrote:Treat RC like an extended LR

Yea, there's been a shift on the LSAT away from difficult passages and towards difficult, LR-like questions. If you're a strong reader as you say, then I think refocusing on the questions will get you back to where you were, if not higher.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”