Frequency of section types for the experimental section

leche

Frequency of section types for the experimental section

Postby leche » Sat May 21, 2011 9:17 pm

Is there any one section type that appears more frequently than others for the fifth section? I find that my second LR section is always worse than the first so I am terrified of seeing three of them. I've practiced a few times with an extra LR, but it has done nothing for my nerves.

minnbills

Re: Frequency of section types for the experimental section

Postby minnbills » Sat May 21, 2011 10:09 pm

leche wrote:Is there any one section type that appears more frequently than others for the fifth section? I find that my second LR section is always worse than the first so I am terrified of seeing three of them. I've practiced a few times with an extra LR, but it has done nothing for my nerves.

Trying to anticipate what it will be isn't going to help- if the worst happens (you get that extra LR) it could really strike your confidence.

Just keep drilling LR, unless you're really stressed, in which case you should take 1-2 days off.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat May 21, 2011 10:58 pm

There are multiple versions of the official test that you get on test day. RC LR and LG all have at least one experimental that gets used ( in some random order within the first 3) on the actual test, so its very hard to know. After you take the official test- if you were to come back on this site there will be threads dedicated to it asking for help in determining the experimentals. YOu arent supposed to talk about it- and doing it here will get you banned, and the thread locked. Just know that the experimental will be within the first 3 sections and you wont know what type of experimental you had until after section 5.

Best advice I can offer to you is to do some back to back RC LG sections and be able to do a series of LR LR LR. You may come across a 2 RC and a LR within the first 3 sections ( in some order) or 2 LRand a RC( agian in some order). This is why endurance is a big part of the prep process. You need to be able to stay focused and be able to tackle 3 heavy reading exam sections in a row without a break in between and be able to attack each question like your mind is fresh. I can tell you from experience that on my test i had back to back RC and an LR section before it wihtin the first 3 sections. While it sucked- being able to do back to back to back timed section work of each section type helped me prepare for it. ( to be honest i did this to fine tune my attack plan for each section- and to drill in major concepts and practice, especially for RC- but it worked wonders).

Remember- if you start to feel less confident in your prep, or if you feel yourself getting tired, or fighitng to finish a section when you just started, to take a day off. You need to rest your mind once in a while.

jortiz682

Postby jortiz682 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:41 am

I generally prep w/RC-LR-RC or LR-RC-LR or 2 consecutive RC's and LR or vis versa. Just figure it'll be what you want the least. Then you'll be happily surprised when that game you fucked up in the first section doesn't count.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun May 22, 2011 2:30 pm

My biggest worry when i took the october 10 exam ( pt61) was that I would get LR RC RC or something along those lines within the first 3 sections. So I used that to prep ( when I knew I was going to use an LR or RC as exp). It paid off wonderfully as it came to pass that the first RC was exp, and the second RC (which was section 3) was real. Ended up with one of my better performances on RC.

Use it as fuel to help you become more confident. If you can do LR LR LR or 2 RC and a LR- then great.

By the way, I also found it helpful to make a 5 section RC test and go that way ( and the same for LR). While you will need a day off after doing it- it is a great way to build up stamina and fine tune your section strategy and be able to prepare and handle having RC or LR as section 5 ( when your mind will be tired).

leche

Postby leche » Tue May 24, 2011 9:03 pm

So is there a possibility that my first three sections could be LR-LR-LR? Or would I at most have two LR's in the first three?

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Tue May 24, 2011 9:04 pm

Having RC back to back was a horrible experience.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed May 25, 2011 12:30 pm

leche wrote:So is there a possibility that my first three sections could be LR-LR-LR? Or would I at most have two LR's in the first three?

It's extraordinarily unlikely, but I think there was a sighting of such a test form at one point. It's rather more possible to get something-LR-LR-break-LR-something.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Wed May 25, 2011 2:34 pm

The above is what mine was. RC LR LR break LR LG

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Wed May 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Ill give the standard advice I give in all of these type of threads.

Don't think about things like this. experimentals, curves, "how many more can I miss" etc should not be a focus for you before and especially during the test. You have no control over these things. Before the test your time/focus is best used practicing/training to be better. During the test your time/focus is best used on doing as well as you possibly can on each question. AFTER the test you can come back here and obsess over curves, scores, cancellations, experimentals etc.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”