What to eat before the exam?

LockBox

What to eat before the exam?

Postby LockBox » Fri May 20, 2011 7:35 pm

So for those taking the June sitting, what are you guys planning on eating prior to the test. June starts at 12:30 so i'm figuring it'll be around 1-1:30pm at the earliest that we'd even begin on section 1.

Breakfast is given, but what about lunch? A light lunch? I'm still trying different things out to see how i'll feel and was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions as to some great brain food.

Re: What to eat before the exam?

Postby 071816 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:52 pm

An ostrich burger.

Gideon Strumpet

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Fri May 20, 2011 7:56 pm

When I took it, my late breakfast was low carb pasta with tomatoes, onions, and eleven small balls of fresh mozzarella plus lots of butter. About a dozen almonds and a third pound of grapes. Blackberry banana smoothie (homemade). Kenya coffee. Small squarish bowl of miso soup with nameko mushrooms. Two glasses of chardonnay.

For a snack to take with me, I mashed up some old canned beans I found in the back of the cupboard, mixed them with flour and sugar, made some cookies out of it, and fried them in a pan. Took three of those with me to the test, which I ate while doing my practice LG problems. I also brought a travel mug half full of gumbo with rice, two small round twist rolls, and two half-liter pink nalgenes; one with cold coffee and milk and another with water.

Also finished off a warm pint of beer from a jug of microbrew I drank most of the night prior, just before I left the house.

I think that's it . . .
Last edited by Gideon Strumpet on Sat May 21, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:57 pm

Nothing out of routine, but you do want to eat something. Try to experiment by eating various types of breakfasts before taking a practice tests. See what settles well in your stomach and doesn't give you food coma.

I had some simple wheat toast and eggs before the test and I was STARVING after I finished the exam (kind've hit me all at once when the adrenaline wore off).

Postby 071816 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:01 pm

Gideon Strumpet wrote:When I took it, my late breakfast was low carb pasta with tomatoes, onions, and eleven small balls of fresh mozzarella plus lots of butter. About a dozen almonds and a third pound of grapes. Blackberry banana smoothie (homemade). Kenya coffee. Small squarish bowl of miso soup with nameko mushrooms. Two glasses of chardonnay.

For a snack to take with me, I mashed some up old canned beans I found in the back of the cupboard, mixed them with flour and sugar, made some cookies out of it, and fried them in a pan. Took three of those with me to the test, which I ate while doing my practice LG problems. I also brought a travel mug half full of gumbo with rice, two small round twist rolls, and two half-liter pink nalgenes; one with cold coffee and milk and another with water.

Also finished off a warm pint of beer from a jug of microbrew I drank most of the night prior, just before I left the house.

I think that's it . . .

LOL

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri May 20, 2011 8:41 pm

Gideon Strumpet wrote:When I took it, my late breakfast was low carb pasta with tomatoes, onions, and eleven small balls of fresh mozzarella plus lots of butter. About a dozen almonds and a third pound of grapes. Blackberry banana smoothie (homemade). Kenya coffee. Small squarish bowl of miso soup with nameko mushrooms. Two glasses of chardonnay.

For a snack to take with me, I mashed some up old canned beans I found in the back of the cupboard, mixed them with flour and sugar, made some cookies out of it, and fried them in a pan. Took three of those with me to the test, which I ate while doing my practice LG problems. I also brought a travel mug half full of gumbo with rice, two small round twist rolls, and two half-liter pink nalgenes; one with cold coffee and milk and another with water.

I think that's it . . .

This is an excellent post. :mrgreen:

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Fri May 20, 2011 9:14 pm

When I took the GMAT I made the mistake of going to a restaurant beforehand and getting something that I had never had and drinking like 3 glasses of water. I left and went to the bathroom during 2 sections and underperformed my diagnostic by 20 points.

Eat something light to avoid an afternoon slump and make sure you know how it will affect you.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri May 20, 2011 9:15 pm

Salmon & coffee.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Fri May 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Do whatever you normally do when you can't eat between those hours.

Clint Eastwood

Postby Clint Eastwood » Fri May 20, 2011 9:26 pm

Not Zebra Cakes. Friend of mine did that, and she did terrible on some sections. Only got into some TTT.

But seriously, don't eat something you'll crash on.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri May 20, 2011 9:28 pm

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

ImageImage
ImageImage

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri May 20, 2011 9:45 pm

One of everything. 8)

or

Only foods containing exactly 180 calories. :mrgreen:

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri May 20, 2011 9:47 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Only foods containing exactly 180 calories. :mrgreen:

TITCR.

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Fri May 20, 2011 9:48 pm

This. Eat four of them that you have a good idea of what you are getting and another that's a mystery.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri May 20, 2011 9:50 pm

YaSvoboden wrote:

This. Eat four of them that you have a good idea of what you are getting and another that's a mystery.

And then puke out the one that was a mystery. After the test, people on this forum will use cryptic language to help you figure out which of the five was the mystery one.

tehrocstar

Postby tehrocstar » Sat May 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Some of these responses are hilarious. A real answer to your question is to eat slow digesting carbohydrates for sustained energy and a high protein for extended feeling of being full. This is what your snack should consist of too. Also, you want to consume the same amount of caffeine that you normally do.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat May 21, 2011 2:08 pm

It's a four-hour test with a break, not a hike across the Sahara or scaling Everest. Eat something you like that won't give you horrible heartburn or indigestion. Beyond that, who cares?

I had a pastry and a Starbucks chai in the car on the way to the test. My break snack was a vitamin water, some mixed nuts and a handful of golden Oreos.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Sat May 21, 2011 2:15 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:It's a four-hour test with a break, not a hike across the Sahara or scaling Everest. Eat something you like that won't give you horrible heartburn or indigestion. Beyond that, who cares?

I had a pastry and a Starbucks chai in the car on the way to the test. My break snack was a vitamin water, some mixed nuts and a handful of golden Oreos.

This is TCR, I took the LSAT twice - the first time I worried about every little thing I got horrible sleep despite trying to go to bed early, worried if I'd eaten all the right things etc. etc. The second time I realized in the end its just going to be and the test - there are no performance enhancing foods, just dont make yourself sick but dont let any of that be a distraction- just focus on relaxing and doing your best.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat May 21, 2011 10:12 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:Do whatever you normally do when you can't eat between those hours.

TITCR

I plan on eating a typical breakfast (a bowl of cereal) and maybe a slice of cold pizza before leaving.

I'll have a powerbar before the test, and once again during the break as some ensurance against fatigue.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat May 21, 2011 10:40 pm

A live heart, it will give you strength and energy.

Cartman

Postby Cartman » Sat May 21, 2011 11:06 pm

For a snack to take with me, I mashed up some old canned beans I found in the back of the cupboard, mixed them with flour and sugar, made some cookies out of it, and fried them in a pan. Took three of those with me to the test, which I ate while doing my practice LG problems. I also brought a travel mug half full of gumbo with rice, two small round twist rolls, and two half-liter pink nalgenes; one with cold coffee and milk and another with water.

I think that's it . . .

Holy mother of god I just about shit myself.

A++ answer, sir. Hats off.

To the live heart one as well, if I hadn't have pissed myself by the time I got to it I'd have chuckled a fair bucket there too.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”