When to take LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
duster

New

When to take LSAT

Post by duster » Fri May 20, 2011 12:57 am

Hey guys I have a question about when to take the LSAT. I just finished sophomore year and have been doing pretty well so far in college, so I'm looking at some top law schools, of course depending on my LSAT. Since I want to write a senior thesis next summer, I've decided to start prepping for the LSAT this summer and take the exam my junior year and get it out of the way before I start working on a 150-page work.

However, I'd also like to take 2 or 3 years off between college and law school. I've heard that while LSAT scores last 5 years, top schools want the scores to be from the last 3 years. I've also heard that it is a good idea to take the LSAT during college when you're in the studying mode, so when should I plan on taking the LSAT?

Thanks in advance.

incompetentia

Gold

Re: When to take LSAT

Post by incompetentia » Fri May 20, 2011 2:23 am

Is there a reason that you won't be able to take the LSAT during your years off? (Corps?)

Usually, study that is more than 6 months in advance is really not that helpful (greatly diminishing returns if you're not studying regularly before the test). You should think about planning a test immediately after you have study time.

I'd strongly advise to take the test as late as you can, but I think you're okay if you take it within the 5-year timeframe.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Fri May 20, 2011 2:26 am

Yeah I would wait till your plans after graduation are set. The best scenario would be to take it the year before you apply.

duster

New

Post by duster » Fri May 20, 2011 2:47 am

Besides the knowledge/skills gained during the next two years of college, what are the benefits of waiting to take the LSAT? I don't really have too much going on this summer (I'm a D1 athlete but am injured so won't be training nearly as much as I will hopefully be after Octoberish at the earliest) besides a part-time job, so I see this as the best time for me to get serious studying in. Is it true that schools look down upon LSAT scores taken several years beforehand?
Thanks again.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri May 20, 2011 3:52 am

duster wrote:Besides the knowledge/skills gained during the next two years of college, what are the benefits of waiting to take the LSAT? I don't really have too much going on this summer (I'm a D1 athlete but am injured so won't be training nearly as much as I will hopefully be after Octoberish at the earliest) besides a part-time job, so I see this as the best time for me to get serious studying in. Is it true that schools look down upon LSAT scores taken several years beforehand?
Thanks again.
Coming from a D1 athlete, I think that buckling down for studying shortly after you're done with your season is a good idea. You can focus all the discipline that was used in the weight room or training room or wherever, and shift it toward LSAT studying. It worked really well for me. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, if I knew what sport/season you were in, I could probably give you more specific advice.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Fri May 20, 2011 5:01 am

Unless you're in a hurry, take the exam as late as you possibly can. You can never have too much preparation time. keep in mind, however, that you will need to pace yourself. Start practicing in your spare time right now...casually. Get your Powerscore Bibles and learn the techniques...slowly. Practice regularly, but don't overdo it. Pacer...pace...pace. Even just an hour a day.

If you begin with the Reading Comprehension section, it may even help improve your reading ability and improve your grades while you're in college, so start there. Close-reading techniques have to be learned, and most college students don't know how to do it. Also, Logic Games would be good to start now. hold off on the Logical Reasoning until afterwards. After you graduate, you can begin putting it all together and taking practice exams more frequently. Just take your time, and have fun with it in your spare time for now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”