How to break the Mid-150s to the 160? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dkang

New

How to break the Mid-150s to the 160?

Post by dkang » Thu May 19, 2011 11:31 pm

Hello,

Im am currently in the mid 150 range (156, 155 on the last two PT's) and I would like to be at the 160 or at least 158-159 range. I am averaging 6-8 wrong per LR section, anywhere from 5-9 on the LG section, and 10ish wrong on the RC.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

dpk711

Silver

Re: How to break the Mid-150s to the 160?

Post by dpk711 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:44 pm

Get all three bibles and do at least 20PTs (especially the ones numbered 40 and higher). When are you taking the test?

dkang

New

Post by dkang » Thu May 19, 2011 11:54 pm

I was planning on taking it in June but I might postpone it.

I am taking a TestMasters class but its about to be over. I started at 149 and am feeling a little maxed out and frustrated looked at lsat problems to be honest but I really do want to at least hit the 158-159 so i guess I'm going to have to put some more work into it.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:58 pm

dkang wrote:I was planning on taking it in June but I might postpone it.

I am taking a TestMasters class but its about to be over. I started at 149 and am feeling a little maxed out and frustrated looked at lsat problems to be honest but I really do want to at least hit the 158-159 so i guess I'm going to have to put some more work into it.
Don't take it in June. It is very feasible that you increase your score by 10 points with 4 extra months (if you take it in Oct.). A 10 point LSAT increase makes a world of difference for law school admissions.

Can'texplainthat

New

Post by Can'texplainthat » Fri May 20, 2011 1:46 am

dpk711 wrote:

Don't take it in June. It is very feasible that you increase your score by 10 points with 4 extra months (if you take it in Oct.). A 10 point LSAT increase makes a world of difference for law school admissions.
I wouldn't count out taking the LSAT in June quite yet. You still have a few weeks here to reach your goal. I'd recommend doing as many timed practice tests as you can, making sure to thoroughly review all your wrong answer choices. If your not consistently hitting around 160 by June 5th you can always postpone, but until then just prep like this is your last shot at LSAT glory.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Fri May 20, 2011 1:51 am

Ok so I was in the exact same boat as you as I scored a 155 on my first LSAT and a 167 on my second. What I did was take it in October and studied every day for at least 45mins-1hr. I would work on one type of question or one section at a time and would take a practice test 1 or 2 times a week. The only real way to boost your score is to put in the work, go over your answers (right and wrong), and look for small improvements. Use scoring a 160 on a PT as motivation to go higher. If you do the work you can get the results, good luck!

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Fri May 20, 2011 1:58 am

Can'texplainthat wrote:
dpk711 wrote:

I wouldn't count out taking the LSAT in June quite yet. You still have a few weeks here to reach your goal. I'd recommend doing as many timed practice tests as you can, making sure to thoroughly review all your wrong answer choices. If your not consistently hitting around 160 by June 5th you can always postpone, but until then just prep like this is your last shot at LSAT glory.
Even if you hit your "goal" by June don't take it then. Maybe you need a 160 to get into the school you want to, but if you get even 5-7 points higher, you will go to that school with a huge scholarship. $150K+ of less debt is definitely worth the extra 4 months of your life. No need to rush it by taking it in three weeks.

justbubbles

Bronze

Post by justbubbles » Fri May 20, 2011 2:15 am

Can'texplainthat wrote:I wouldn't count out taking the LSAT in June quite yet. You still have a few weeks here to reach your goal.
I actually agree with this advice. While (admittedly) I'm no LSAT expert by any means, but OP could actually do well in June. Yep, you heard me right.

This advice is not based on anything scientific, but here's what my PowerScore instructor (perfect 180 LSAT 101/101 score, teaching for almost 10 years now) says: your LSAT readiness is more a mental state of mind that actual content/tactics acquired through learning/test preps! Sounds crazy, but it's true! :P (NOTE: Of course, the implied assumption here is that one is adequately prepared, before getting last minute jitters).

So how's that? Well, this is how.

If someone is mentally prepared to do well, chances are the motivation, endurance build-up, excitement, etc. all will compound in. On the alternative, if OP postpones and "studies" all summer/fall, OP's confidence, motivation, etc. just might not be as strong as it is now. I say, go for June!!! Like others have said, even if OP does poorly, s/he can take it again later in the year. No big deal.

by the way - the ABA has instructed all ABA schools to not to average LSAT scores. Only your highest score will get counted either way. Or if OP feels terrible right after the test, OP can always cancel.

Can'texplainthat

New

Post by Can'texplainthat » Fri May 20, 2011 2:30 am

dpk711 wrote:
Can'texplainthat wrote:
dpk711 wrote:

Even if you hit your "goal" by June don't take it then. Maybe you need a 160 to get into the school you want to, but if you get even 5-7 points higher, you will go to that school with a huge scholarship. $150K+ of less debt is definitely worth the extra 4 months of your life. No need to rush it by taking it in three weeks.
I agree that would be worth it to take the October lsat if the OP expected to boast their score another 5-7 points. What is the downside for the OP to take the June LSAT though? Presumably they have been studying for several months and are near their target range. By taking it now they at least have a score in the books, and can always retake in October.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Fri May 20, 2011 2:37 am

Can'texplainthat wrote: I agree that would be worth it to take the October lsat if the OP expected to boast their score another 5-7 points. What is the downside for the OP to take the June LSAT though? Presumably they have been studying for several months and are near their target range. By taking it now they at least have a score in the books, and can always retake in October.
If OP takes the June test, (s)he should definitely retake in Oct. or later. Taking the June test would just serve as a practice test in real LSAT conditions. While most schools don't average scores, a low score and a high score with a significant discrepancy between them would preferably need to be explained by an addendum.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”