Private Tutoring

ali6

Private Tutoring

Postby ali6 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Hi Guys,

I took the Lsat about a year and half ago and did horrible. I've tried Kaplan classes and, a few of test masters classes and by time the 6/7th class I'm just lost and start to lose hope. I think private tutoring might be the best route for me. Can anyone make any suggestions on their own experience from NYC? Answer from actually students not tutors trying to earn a quick buck. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by ali6 on Wed May 18, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser

Re: Private Tutoring

Postby kaiser » Wed May 18, 2011 3:24 pm

I am a tutor, but I'm not trying to sell you on it. Just sharing my thoughts from the students' perspective. Many students feel lost in a sea of students when they take the prep classes. It moves at one set pace, and doesn't cater to you as an individual. The best aspects of private tutoring are that you are the center of attention, you can move at your own pace, and the tutor can adapt his style to the way in which you will be most receptive.

That raises an important point: Make sure you find a private tutor who doesn't try and teach the LSAT in a one size fits all format. It needs to adapt to meet your learning style, pace, ability, etc. This is crucial because, if you end up with a tutor who can only teach things one way, it can be just as useless as a large class in which you are merely a passenger, and not a co-pilot.

Also, don't confuse price for quality. You will find tutoring as expensive as 150 an hour, and as cheap as in the 30's or 40's. I offer the cheapest LSAT tutoring I can because I want it to be available to everyone. Of course I want to earn some money, but thats only part of the goal. The students I get into great schools are a part of my professional network and that is invaluable to me. I've had tons of students come from over-priced city tutors and tell me that my style is far better than those who charge twice as much. When it comes to LSAT tutoring, put aside the "you get what you pay for" mantra because it isn't necessarily true.

Finally, get references and see if the tutor has experience. You don't want to be someone's test guinea pig while paying money and wasting valuable time.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed May 18, 2011 3:32 pm

go through the bibles, go through the Atlas (manhattan lsat) books, and only if none of those help, get a tutor.

ali6

Postby ali6 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:01 pm

Thanks Kaiser.

99.9luft - Thanks, because of my experiences and the way I feel. I'd rather get a tutor and get the one on on - It's just a matter of who now...I was going to go with Integrated Learning but it seems like their number is disconnect (just great).

ali6

Postby ali6 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:29 pm

Anyone?

AmberWoods

Postby AmberWoods » Fri May 20, 2011 10:47 am

Hello- Just wanted to let you know that I was in the same boat up until about 3 months ago. I took a Blueprint course last summer and just wasnt getting the score I wanted. I ended up taking the December 2010 LSAT and was less than pleased. I then signed up for the Princeton Review course and was totally lost. I ended up finding a tutor that charges only 40 an hour and have been working with her since March. She has really helped change the way I see the LSAT and my understanding. Im not sure where my actual score lies now as we are just learning a new concept each week and are not taking practice tests yet. I am already feeling really confident in taking the Oct test wand walking away with a great score.

So my advice is to try a few out and see what works with your learning style. Many tutors offer the first session free, which is a good way to test the waters without a huge commitment.

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Fri May 20, 2011 10:59 am

Hey. I worked with a tutor in NYC by the name of Larkin Robson. His website is 180degreeslsat.com.

I worked with him about 3 months, once a week and my score went up nearly 15 points. The books and stuff are great and you can get a lot out of them, but working with another person who has taught the test for years and who knows it in and out, it makes a big difference. Especially because the books try to teach by a method they think will work for everyone. Larkin taught me based on the way I needed to learn and the way I needed to understand the test.

Everyone's situation is different, but I would recommend a tutor if you can swing it, and I found Larkin to be easy to work with and very helpful to my ability to get the score I wanted.

ali6

Postby ali6 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:31 am

gendefect wrote:Hey. I worked with a tutor in NYC by the name of Larkin Robson. His website is 180degreeslsat.com.

I worked with him about 3 months, once a week and my score went up nearly 15 points. The books and stuff are great and you can get a lot out of them, but working with another person who has taught the test for years and who knows it in and out, it makes a big difference. Especially because the books try to teach by a method they think will work for everyone. Larkin taught me based on the way I needed to learn and the way I needed to understand the test.

Everyone's situation is different, but I would recommend a tutor if you can swing it, and I found Larkin to be easy to work with and very helpful to my ability to get the score I wanted.

Thanks

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Tue May 24, 2011 10:48 am

gendefect wrote:Hey. I worked with a tutor in NYC by the name of Larkin Robson. His website is 180degreeslsat.com.

How much did the lessons run you?

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Tue May 24, 2011 10:54 am

Paraflam wrote:

Honestly, it's been long enough I don't really remember (I've tried to block out everything having to do with the LSATs at this point...). It was expensive though. Worth it, if you can afford it. But private lessons (at least from someone competent) aren't cheap, that's for sure.

ali6

Postby ali6 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:58 am

Paraflam wrote:

check out the website provided, his rate is $1xx an hour.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”