LR Parallel Reasoning continuity? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
DaisyLafayette

New

LR Parallel Reasoning continuity?

Post by DaisyLafayette » Wed May 18, 2011 2:40 pm

I am wondering whether when the stimulus contains positive premises then the answer choice will also contain positive premises and vice versa for negative? Or is this irrelevant and should i be exclusively focusing on diagrammatic similarities?
example:
The law should require people to vote. A democracy should fairly represent the population, and this requires different sectors of the population to vote at equal rates.

and then if answers

A. Animals in scientific experiments should not be killed. Scientific experiments should aim to serve the greater good, and this requires taking into account the welfare of the animals involved

B. High schools should not be allowed to randomly drug test their students. Such tests violate students' rights to privacy, and schools should not set an example of ignoring rights.

does it matter that one is all positive/affirmative and the other is negative? or would both answers be correct?

achilles1234

New

Re: LR Parallel Reasoning continuity?

Post by achilles1234 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:33 pm

i think the first step is to look at the conclusion. when looking at the conclusion make sure the degree of certainty parallels. e.g. some v always AND the conclusion should parallel in terms of the positive or negative as well.

you should be able to eliminate some answer choices by looking at the conclusion. then look at the premises.

SanDiegoJake

Bronze

Post by SanDiegoJake » Thu May 19, 2011 4:11 pm

It's irrelavent and you should exclusively focus on diagramming similarities.

PrepTest 46, Section 3, Question 19 provides an example.

It's a parallel the reasoning argument in which the original prompt states that "Tanya would refrain from littering if everyone else refrained from littering. None of her friends litter, and therefore she does not either." (negative premises)

The credited response is E - "If all of a restaurant's customers like its food, it must be an exceptional restaurant. Everyone whom Sheryl consulted liked the food at Chez Louis, so it must be an exceptional restaurant." (positive premises)

gggrra

New

Post by gggrra » Thu May 19, 2011 5:26 pm

I agree with SanDiegoJake. From my gut feeling, I'd say that most of the time a positive stimulus will have a positive correct answer, but as above poster pointed out in his example, it's not always the case. You should rely on your diagramming.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”