extra practice from non-official material?

joshg863

extra practice from non-official material?

Postby joshg863 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:48 am

Which non-official (Kaplan, Princeton, etc...) sources would you recommend for extra practice on all three sections of the LSAT?

I don't want to exhaust all of the official tests. I struggle and will need to work a lot; it would be lame to run out of material.

Thanks the help!

YaSvoboden

Re: extra practice from non-official material?

Postby YaSvoboden » Mon May 16, 2011 12:56 am

joshg863 wrote:Which non-official (Kaplan, Princeton, etc...) sources would you recommend for extra practice on all three sections of the LSAT?

I don't want to exhaust all of the official tests. I struggle and will need to work a lot; it would be lame to run out of material.

Thanks the help!

Redoing old sections over any of these. New material is the only way to get an accurate idea of where you are, but redoing old stuff still requires you to think through a question, make inferences, etc.

If you can remember the answers to your first RC passages after doing 240 more passages, LR questions after 3000 new questions, and so on, you probably don't need as much work as you'd think.

joshg863

Postby joshg863 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:45 pm

Great advice. I'll recycle.

Thank you!

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Mon May 16, 2011 9:41 pm

100 percent recycle. I've done every logic game ever, but by continuing to repeat the sections it helps you see the patterns and common tricks very clearly. Although you can't give yourself credit for acing a game, since you've seen it before, it's way more helpful too familiarize yourself with the patterns in LSAC-made games than to work on non-approved games that may teach you to look for things that LSAC doesn't really use.

This applies for LR as well, since the patterns in the questions are recycled over and over and over again. After you do this enough, even the "new" questions that you haven't seen before seem like old ones.

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon May 16, 2011 9:46 pm

Recycle - especially for Logic Games. Do the early ones lots. I mean lots and lots of times. Do them until you can glance at the game and come up with every inference very quickly.

Remember, accuracy first, speed later. If you are getting questions wrong, repeat them until you get them right AND understand why the answer is correct and the others are wrong.

Once you have good accuracy, you can then use the final 25 PTs or so to get your speed to where it should be.

joshg863

Postby joshg863 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:00 am

Thanks a lot for the the tips. I will follow your advice.

I'm on my second round of the "grouped by type" for the logic games. Its been 4 months since I did them the first time(I'm starting way early) I've gone from 80% to 94% accuracy. I got a bit faster but not by much. I have been mostly looking at understanding each question and why every possible answer is either right or wrong. I plan on letting the work book sit for some time before I go over it again with speed in mind.

My plan is to study for this summer enough to where I can take a test once a week until February starting fall semester.

Again thanks for the ideas. Please let me know if I'm the right track.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”