Rude awakening after my 2nd practice LSAT

TRex77

Rude awakening after my 2nd practice LSAT

Postby TRex77 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:39 pm

Expected to score much higher than my first practice LSAT. Anyone experienced this?

I'm using BluePrint and love it so far, and havnt practiced the timing, but in the home works I am getting almost all of the questions right. I knew the timing would affect my score, but didnt think I would only have an increase of 1 point...

Bricks are being shat. I hope this is normal, or I really need to step up my game.

Thanks

KingDave

Re: Rude awakening after my 2nd practice LSAT

Postby KingDave » Sun May 15, 2011 9:42 pm

When are you planning on taking the real thing?

TRex77

Postby TRex77 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:48 pm

KingDave wrote:When are you planning on taking the real thing?

October. My finals are during the June LSAT and I have to travel a fairly significant distance to take it so I thought it would be a bad idea. Plus I like the idea of having more time to study.

BluePrint says that a lot of people actually score lower on their 2nd test than their first, but I thought they were just saying it so people didnt freak out after scoring lower/the same.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun May 15, 2011 9:52 pm

A lot of people scorelower on the second pt. Especially if you scored somewhat higher and spent that PT focusing on question strategy and getting every question you attempted right. That slows you down and you are forced to guess on the rest. Check to see how accurate you are on the questions you attempted. You should be aiming to get at least 85% of the questions you attempt right. If not, then you are rushing and need to slow down. You are learning the basics and section strategey right now so focus on that and dont worry about the scaled scores. Once you learn how to attack each quesiton type then work on speed, but keep that accuracy as high as possible. This is why you need to work on timed sections first- then work on full lenght practice tests after that. You need to build up endurance, and that will take time- so dont worry about this. Just make sure you are doing better with each test and you should be fine for October.

This is a marathon not a sprint. It may take months before you see a huge score increase from where you start. Depending on where you start and where you want to end up that is. Just take it one question at a time and keep a log of questions that trip you up- and dill them.

TRex77

Postby TRex77 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:59 pm

northwood wrote:A lot of people scorelower on the second pt. Especially if you scored somewhat higher and spent that PT focusing on question strategy and getting every question you attempted right. That slows you down and you are forced to guess on the rest. Check to see how accurate you are on the questions you attempted. You should be aiming to get at least 85% of the questions you attempt right. If not, then you are rushing and need to slow down. You are learning the basics and section strategey right now so focus on that and dont worry about the scaled scores. Once you learn how to attack each quesiton type then work on speed, but keep that accuracy as high as possible. This is why you need to work on timed sections first- then work on full lenght practice tests after that. You need to build up endurance, and that will take time- so dont worry about this. Just make sure you are doing better with each test and you should be fine for October.

This is a marathon not a sprint. It may take months before you see a huge score increase from where you start. Depending on where you start and where you want to end up that is. Just take it one question at a time and keep a log of questions that trip you up- and dill them.

That was relieving and inspiring. Of the questions I actually did using the techniques I learned, I got a high % of those right. But I would glance at my time about half way through each section then realize that I wasn't on pace to finish then I would totally bomb the second half the the section.

On the next one, I will just try to answer as many right as I can manage, instead of rushing to finish.

TRex77

Postby TRex77 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:47 pm

Also, when reviewing my test, on 80% probably of my wrong answers, I had narrowed it down to 2, and 1 of those 2 was the right answer, I just picked incorrectly. So at least I know I am close to a lot of the answers.

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Sun May 15, 2011 11:06 pm

My first PT was Jan 3, scored a 155. Second PT was Feb 3, scored a 155. 4 and a half months of hard work and countless hours later, my last PT was a 175. Early PTs are not that big of a deal. Don't get discouraged, but don't be impatient either. For most people, there is no epiphany, just a long, gradual sharpening of your reasoning skills. Study hard, put the time in, and read the great advice on this forum, and you'll be on your way to a great score in October.

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Sun May 15, 2011 11:20 pm

TRex77 wrote:Also, when reviewing my test, on 80% probably of my wrong answers, I had narrowed it down to 2, and 1 of those 2 was the right answer, I just picked incorrectly. So at least I know I am close to a lot of the answers.

This is good. You will learn to recognize wrong answers and start picking the right one more often. You are off to a good start. Be sure to also pay attention to the ones where you narrowed it down to 2 and picked the right one and try to see why you picked the right one there and the wrong ones on the others. Make sure you understand why the right answer is right and why the wrong ones aren't.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue May 17, 2011 3:06 pm

TRex77 wrote:That was relieving and inspiring. Of the questions I actually did using the techniques I learned, I got a high % of those right. But I would glance at my time about half way through each section then realize that I wasn't on pace to finish then I would totally bomb the second half the the section.

On the next one, I will just try to answer as many right as I can manage, instead of rushing to finish.

What Northwood said is exactly what I tell my students in my BP classes, and I'm not just saying it to make people who didn't score well feel better. The second test should be used solely to see how to apply the methods we teach you in an actual test setting. It's easy to classify the questions when the homework is arranged by question type - it's another thing when taking an actual LSAT. Getting a high % of the questions for which you used the technique correct is a great sign; just keeping working on the methods, and you'll see your scores continually improve. After learning all the methods and getting to timing is when many see the largest gains in their score.

MarineLaw

Postby MarineLaw » Tue May 17, 2011 3:16 pm

I experienced something similar...

I took a diagnostic: 149. I spent three months studying and took another PT: 153. I felt totally freaked out and overwhelmed by the variety of question types, plus the time crunch. Completely disheartened, I re-grouped, took another PT the next day, resisting that debilitating panic feeling and scored a 162. Following that my next three PT scores were a 164, 166, and 170. I've since had a gradual decline with occasional spikes but am hovering around a 164-165 PT average.

Am I the supreme 175+ test taker? Hell no, but I trusted the methods, stayed calm and have improved quite a bit. Give it some time and don't pressure yourself, it's going to happen.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue May 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Yep, you're a golfer practicing a new swing. Your swings at the driving range are going to be worse than your original swing but in the long term, you'll notice an improvement. It is not unusal for a test-taker, especially if learning a lot of new approaches to go:

151, 147, 150, 156, 153, 159, 157, 160, 165, 161, 163, 163, 164, 167. Hopefully the trend will be consistently upward. Good luck.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue May 17, 2011 3:36 pm

what you need to focus on is the number of questions attempted and the number of those questions that you attemped. The # of ? you attempted should increase over time, and your accuracy should go up. There isnt much you can do about the scaled score- its pre determined before the test is given out. However, you should be focusing on how well you do. I used to grade my pts like this

48, 52, 51, 53, 55, 57, 56, 58, 59, 62, 64, 67, 72 ,75, 76, 77, 75, 76, 78, 76, 80, 82, etc ( notice that i only kept track of the raw scores, not the scaled scores.) If you can see what the 3 question range is on your PTS- then you should have an idea for how well you will do on the test. Simply look up old score conversion charts and see how they would fare on diffrent scales. ( note those arent my actual raw scores, but just an example)

THen break down that into what your average is for each section type, and try to determine how big of a factor endurance is ( how do you do on the 3rd section before break, and on section 5 after the 15 min break for example). Its not something that you should be focusing on when you grade, but something to keep in mind. If you can get your raw scores to remain consistent over a 5 test period- then that should give you a decent guide for what to expect on LSAT day.

pkrtbx

Postby pkrtbx » Tue May 17, 2011 6:01 pm

My first four were 167, 167, 160, 170. Needless to say I am probably going to need anxiety medication before long.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”