The 157 Ceiling

newyorkterp

The 157 Ceiling

Postby newyorkterp » Sun May 15, 2011 1:04 pm

I can't break through it. I'll normally bomb one of my 2 Logical Reasoning sections (15 correct) while averaging 17-20 on the other LR section. How do I get to averaging at least 20 correct consistently for both sections??? I normally don't finish the section, leaving 2-3 questions unanswered.

LG - I'll normally get 2-3 wrong max so I think I've gotten that figured out.

RC - I've taken the approach of attacking 3 passages instead of all 4 because I am able to get more correct consistently using this strategy. I bank on getting 1-2 right on the last section by selecting D for all the questions. Is this a smart strategy or should I change it up the next 3 weeks and attack all 4 passages?

northwood

Re: The 157 Ceiling

Postby northwood » Sun May 15, 2011 1:21 pm

You need to drill the question types you find yourself consistently missing. You also need to make sure that you are getting the first 10 questions right in the section- as they are generally the easiest. It may be a case of nerves, or you rushing through the questions. Make sure you identify and target the questions you miss and where they are in the section- and plan accordingly.

As for RC- while it is great that you are focusing on 3 passages instead of all 4, you also need to figure out how to get as many questions right on the 4th passage as possible.

Be prepared to take the test again in October if you dont like the june score. I think you would see an increase in performance on LR and RC from more work over the summer. RC can be mastered, it just takes more time and patience than the other sections.

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Sun May 15, 2011 1:27 pm

northwood wrote:You need to drill the question types you find yourself consistently missing. You also need to make sure that you are getting the first 10 questions right in the section- as they are generally the easiest. It may be a case of nerves, or you rushing through the questions. Make sure you identify and target the questions you miss and where they are in the section- and plan accordingly.

So true. And you cannot settle for 3/4 reading passages. You'll never break 160 with that attitude.

PurplePirate

Postby PurplePirate » Sun May 15, 2011 1:28 pm

For LR, are you trying to understand every question you got wrong? Try writing out why every answer choice that is incorrect IS incorrect. You will find that when you can articulate it, you will truly understand the question(s).

As far as RC goes, I saw an improvement when I started reading more. I didn't necessarily start reading "the Economist," but instead I just picked up and started reading different books at night instead of watching TV. As someone who struggled with RC, I highly recommend doing this.

Best of luck!

newyorkterp

Postby newyorkterp » Sun May 15, 2011 1:40 pm

For LR I normally get the majority wrong between questions 12-20. I will review all questions regardless of whether I get it right or wrong to make sure I am thinking along the same lines for why each answer choice is correct/incorrect.

My biggest problem with RC is when I approach all 4 passages, I am unable to comprehend the passage as well as I should in the time given. I think this definitely has to do with not reading dense material on a consistent basis leading up to my preparation for the LSAT. But i do agree that I will eventually need to attack all 4 on test day and that starts with doing with all 4 during timed practice sessions.

OhOkay

Postby OhOkay » Sun May 15, 2011 1:43 pm

In addition to in-depth review of each LR question as noted above (where to write out why each incorrect ans is incorrect, and why the correct one is correct), look for broader patterns in your approach. You're missing a lot of questions, which would indicate that perhaps you need to change up your overall strategy. Do you find yourself rereading the stimuli a lot, and have trouble understanding the structure of the argument presented? If so, you need to practice reading complex material (this will help with RC as well), and perhaps learn some basics about logic and argumentation. Do you find that you understand the stimuli, but end up misreading or being confused about what the question stem is asking for? There are books that should help clarify the question types (MLSAT is supposed to be better than Powerscore according to others on the board). Or is it mainly a matter of you misreading the answer choices, and missing key words that can make an answer incorrect ("some" vs. "most" vs. "any/all," "is" vs. "should," "always" vs. "likely," etc.)? Again, the books should be helpful with this, and understanding the stimulus is key as well, so you know in what ways the AC should match the stimulus.

All the best.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun May 15, 2011 1:49 pm

The most difficult questions( or the ones that take the longest) are between 12 and 20. Thats a nice trap that LSAC likes to use. Once you are able to recognize the question types that stump you- skip those questions ( and if you bubble after each question put a mark on your letter of the day answer) and move on. Do the questions you are most comfortable with first, and save the most difficult questions for the end- so you can take longer and know that you answered all of the questions allready. Once you get to the 5 minute left warning make sure to double check your bubble sheet ( and darken all of the bubbles) and erase one question at a time as you go. If you get it down to 2 answer choices pick one you like the best and move on. If a question is super long ( look at the answer choices and quesitno type- parallel flaw and reasoning are time theives) remember that its okay to just guess and move on.

As for RC you need to develop a strategy to attack that last passage ina time constrained setting. Maybe you read it quicker and go with easier to answer questions, or maybe you just pick some questions and search for the answer without reading ( not a good idea imo but it is a strategy).

Keep practicing your games. Right now that is your strong suit- so make sure you keep it that way.

newyorkterp

Postby newyorkterp » Sun May 15, 2011 2:21 pm

I am able to identify the question type relatively easily, however I do find myself reading the stimuli 2 times for each question in order to fully understand the argument which takes up the majority of my time. As for LG I try to do a section each day just to keep those skills fresh. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Sun May 15, 2011 3:32 pm

How long have you studied? What did you use? Where did you start?

Not a ton of things I can say from the information you've given, but a few pieces of advice may help.

For Reading Comp, remember that the standard is very different than the LR. It is not an absolute standard like LR, it is much more similar to the best answer choice. Secondly there is a ton of information in each RC passage. You don't need to remember all of it. Just have a decent grasp of what the passage is saying, and you can move to the answer choices. Also experiment with writing/underlining more or less. Just do it differently than how you are doing it now to see if it improves you. Everyone has their own style, but a lot of people are told there is a "right" way to do it and it messes with their head.

For LR, its impossible to say why you are getting that many wrong without more information on what kind of questions you are getting wrong. If there is oftentimes a discrepancy between one section and another (and you are doing them in a row), it may well be fatigue/confidence. Try taking a section untimed, and see how long it takes you (and how many you get right). That may provide some assistance in diagnosing exactly what is going wrong.

Best of luck.

newyorkterp

Postby newyorkterp » Sun May 15, 2011 4:04 pm

I would say I have been studying diligently 2-3 hrs a day after work everyday since the middle of February. I enrolled in the PS course and have tried to doing as much of the HW as i can. For the most part it has been the Flaw, Justify the Conclusion and Strengthener/Weakeners that give me the most trouble. A lot of times I will read a Flaw Question stimuli and think to myself, I can't pinpoint the flaw.

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Sun May 15, 2011 4:51 pm

What was your initial diagnostic score?

newyorkterp

Postby newyorkterp » Sun May 15, 2011 11:31 pm

Initial diagnostic was a 146. I took PT 57 today. -6 and -7 on LR. -4 on LG and -12 on RC = 158. So on the bright side i got my highest score thus far but bombed the RC. I tried all 4 passages this time and got killed on the last 2 passages, the comparative passage on Cather and the Fractal Geometry passage. The dinosaurs game was what got me on LG - had no idea how to go about attacking it. Going to do an in depth review tomorrow after work.

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Mon May 16, 2011 2:11 am

Oh those dinosaurs. Don't sweat it, those things are legendary. Certainly not indicative of the vast majority of games.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”