How much time do you spend "setting up" a LG?

Paraflam

How much time do you spend "setting up" a LG?

Postby Paraflam » Sat May 14, 2011 2:24 pm

Although I have just begun the LGB, whenever I do actual games I panic during the set up stage, worrying that I'm taking too much time on it without leaving enough time to answer the questions. However, it seems that if I spent more time fixing the rules in my head and making inferences about how the rules interact with one another, I would spend less time answering the questions than if I rushed through the diagram and went straight to the questions.

My question is, how much time (of the 8:45 allotted per game) do you typically spend drawing the master diagram, getting a grasp on the rules and their interactions, etc?

Thanks!

dr123

Re: How much time do you spend "setting up" a LG?

Postby dr123 » Sat May 14, 2011 2:40 pm

5 mins setting up, 3 mins answering Qs.

theaether

Postby theaether » Sat May 14, 2011 2:43 pm

Depends on the game. Sometimes there's very few inferences I can make and so I just jump into the questions. The good thing is, if you take longer with the diagram and inferences, then the questions should breeze by quickly.

AFS

Postby AFS » Sat May 14, 2011 3:09 pm

I spend about 2-3 minutes setting up the game and that's what I've found ideal for me.

davesmystery

Postby davesmystery » Sat May 14, 2011 3:10 pm

Depends on the game. Sometimes there's very few inferences I can make and so I just jump into the questions. The good thing is, if you take longer with the diagram and inferences, then the questions should breeze by quickly.

This. Also, if you set up a game and you are having trouble making inferences or don't really comprehend the game after you finish reading the stimulus, jump into the questions and work out some hypothetical solutions. That usually helps me on the tougher ones.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sat May 14, 2011 6:30 pm

davesmystery wrote:Also, if you set up a game and you are having trouble making inferences or don't really comprehend the game after you finish reading the stimulus, jump into the questions and work out some hypothetical solutions. That usually helps me on the tougher ones.

This is great advice, though I'd make sure to look only at the absolute questions ("Which of the following....?", instead of "If Jamiroquai is first, then which of the following...?"). That way, you know the deduction applies universally.

*Ari*

Postby *Ari* » Sat May 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Depends on the game. If I foresee a lot of inferences to be made up front, I spend a lot longer digging around, or if it's a binary grouping game.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sat May 14, 2011 8:01 pm

dr123 wrote:5 mins setting up, 3 mins answering Qs.

It works the other way around for me. 2-3 mins seeing it up and 4-6 mins answering and checking my answers.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”