PT 9, Game 2, Q13

Easy-E

PT 9, Game 2, Q13

Postby Easy-E » Sat May 14, 2011 1:34 pm

I know this is an older game so I probably won't get as many responses, but here goes. Question 13 has me stumped. I see why E is correct, but why isn't A also a valid answer choice? Only one of my three initial frames has both J and L. I know my frames were correct, which I will include below, so I must be misinterpreting the question somehow.

N L J M

N L K (M/Q in last space)

P K (M/L/Q in last two spaces)

Thanks for any responses

davesmystery

Re: PT 9, Game 2, Q13

Postby davesmystery » Sat May 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Because A boils down to J L M (N/P). For these questions I recycle my previous hypos to eliminate obviously wrong answers, but on potential CRs I re-write the list of letters next to the problem and cross them off until I get down to what's left. You can actually eliminate A pretty quickly this way. By that line of thinking, E wins because you have to include K and there's no room for N/L so P remains and everything else is crossed out.

Older Chest

Postby Older Chest » Sat May 14, 2011 2:04 pm

Fantastic avatar!

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Sat May 14, 2011 2:16 pm

davesmystery wrote:Because A boils down to J L M (N/P). For these questions I recycle my previous hypos to eliminate obviously wrong answers, but on potential CRs I re-write the list of letters next to the problem and cross them off until I get down to what's left. You can actually eliminate A pretty quickly this way. By that line of thinking, E wins because you have to include K and there's no room for N/L so P remains and everything else is crossed out.

Ahh I see where I went wrong. One of the initial frames I drew ended up being invalid, so I disregarded it. I forgot I could still switch P/N in the first one though. Thanks for the explanation.

davesmystery

Postby davesmystery » Sat May 14, 2011 3:17 pm

Yeah, the most frustrating, yet surprisingly easy, things to do is to get a question wrong because you accidentally ruled out a possibility. Just keep in mind that when you have two solutions that seem to work, you're definitely missing something. When that happens to me I just quickly erase my hypos and start again focusing only on the two possible answers. Also, on questions like this, it's always easier and quicker to find out why a solution won't work than it is to see if it will work.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”