Should I take a prep course? Please help... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lr224807

New

Should I take a prep course? Please help...

Post by lr224807 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:41 am

I've been self-studying since January, and have raised my score about 15 points using Pithypike's method. I'm now scoring in the mid to low 160's, but in the last month of studying have been unable to raise my score past the mid 160's. I've mastered the Logic games, and have gotten -0 multiple times on that section. However, my LR score has been slowly getting worse (quite annoying), and RC is bad.

Is it worth it for me to take a prep course to get past the 163 hump, or will it be too repetitive? I've already gone through both bibles and have taken around 15 tests. Can I raise the score on my own on time for the October 2011 test?

Thanks guys.

shoeshine

Silver

Re: Should I take a prep course? Please help...

Post by shoeshine » Sat May 14, 2011 10:46 am

Do private tutoring. Prep courses are aimed at the average person that is scoring in the 150s and trying to get them up to the range you are already at. You need unique tutoring that focuses on your strengths and weaknesses.

lr224807

New

Post by lr224807 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:57 am

Thanks shoeshine. Private tutoring is extremely expensive. Do you know if people generally see a large difference in their scores with private tutoring? If so, it would probably be worth the investment. I have a 3.75 from a top-tier school, so with a high score, I just might be able to get into a T-14.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sat May 14, 2011 1:25 pm

With your struggles it will be better than taking a class. If you take a course it is likely that you will waste so much time re-learning what you have already figured out. Private tutoring can get right to the point and help you with the areas you are in need of assistance in.

I've heard sometimes craigslist has tutors that are reasonably priced and effective.

cinefile 17

Bronze

Post by cinefile 17 » Sat May 14, 2011 1:40 pm

I think just keep taking practice tests. Take ALL OF THEM. Time yourself and add in an extra section. Also go over problems you got wrong until you know EXACTLY why every incorrect answer choice is wrong and why the correct one is correct. Make sure you know what false assumption/mistakes you made that led you to choose the wrong answer. Once you get technique down, this is what you should do. Are you missing questions because you are answering them inaccurately, because you don't have enough time, or both?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

minnesotasam

New

Post by minnesotasam » Sat May 14, 2011 4:53 pm

shoeshine wrote:Do private tutoring. Prep courses are aimed at the average person that is scoring in the 150s and trying to get them up to the range you are already at. You need unique tutoring that focuses on your strengths and weaknesses.
I don't think this is really a fair assessment of the courses. It certainly wasn't indicative of my experience, my diagnostic was higher than what OP is currently testing at and I was able to improve my score a lot exclusively through a prep course.

I think there will naturally be some repetition in a prep course for you OP and I would imagine that would be a bit bored during some of the classes at times, but it also would likely help you to easily identify the question types on LR that you're struggling with most and attack those particular areas. My course focused first and foremost on LR, the way the LSAT does, and I felt the constant group discussion about problems sharpened my thinking quite a bit in spots that I didn't know I hadn't completely mastered. The cost is such that it's not necessarily a no-brainer, but given your circumstances I would expect that a course would definitely help your score out. Fwiw I'm sure private tutoring would do so as well, and may very well be a better option, but as you mentioned tutoring might be cost prohibitive in your case.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Sat May 14, 2011 6:38 pm

minnesotasam wrote:I think there will naturally be some repetition in a prep course for you OP and I would imagine that would be a bit bored during some of the classes at times, but it also would likely help you to easily identify the question types on LR that you're struggling with most and attack those particular areas.
I'll probably get in trouble for saying this since we don't offer private tutoring unless you enroll in one of our classes, but a (good) private tutor will be able to quickly diagnose where you're going wrong and help you correct those problems. The process will be a lot quicker than going over the entire curriculum, which might switch it from cost-prohibitive to affordable.

However, if you're having general problems with LR and RC, it might make sense to take a course. Since I'm highly biased as I work for Blueprint, I'll leave it up to others to discuss the merits of this path.

Either way, good luck!

lr224807

New

Post by lr224807 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:23 am

cinefile 17 wrote:I think just keep taking practice tests. Take ALL OF THEM. Time yourself and add in an extra section. Also go over problems you got wrong until you know EXACTLY why every incorrect answer choice is wrong and why the correct one is correct. Make sure you know what false assumption/mistakes you made that led you to choose the wrong answer. Once you get technique down, this is what you should do. Are you missing questions because you are answering them inaccurately, because you don't have enough time, or both?

I think I am just answering them inaccurately. When I go over the test, I quickly understand why the correct answer is correct. It's usually glaringly obvious, and don't know how I missed it. I'm not even sure how I would go about fixing that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”