Why are my timed sections a lot better than my timed tests?

kingjones59

Why are my timed sections a lot better than my timed tests?

Postby kingjones59 » Fri May 13, 2011 7:05 pm

Hey guys so here is my predicament:

When I take timed sections, I do pretty well. I average -3 on each LR and -3/4 on RC and I just recently got a -0 on logic games but that was my first one, but when I put it all together and take four sections back to back for a practice test, I do considerably worse than this. I just took one today and I got a 163 but it was PT59 that gave a pretty lenient curve. I am taking the test in June and have a 3.95 gpa so I am really shooting for at least a 168 so I can crack the t-14, but these tests are discouraging especially when I take just individual sections later and score so well. I know my potential is there, but what is my problem?

The tests I have been using for my full length practice tests are the ones in the "10 new lsat prep tests" and have been using everything else for practice sections thus far.

JamMasterJ

Re: Why are my timed sections a lot better than my timed tests?

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri May 13, 2011 7:28 pm

you probably have two issues:
1st, your individual sections are from tests that are less alike to the more current ones. To fix this, you need to buy some individual, very recent tests, so that you can drill things that will be more like what is on the actual test.
The other issue you are having is probably due to endurance and is probably your most significant issue. The LSAT is a marathon and a sprint at the same time. You've got the sprint part down; now you need to work on getting that stretched over a much longer period. This is definitely an issue if you're scoring very well on the first couple of sections and deteriorate quickly towards the end of the test. To work on this, you need to do as many full, five-section tests as possible, and maybe some six, seven, or eight section tests as well. This will work your endurance enough to match the actual test and if you do even longer tests, the real thing will seem easy.

kingjones59

Postby kingjones59 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:54 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:you probably have two issues:
1st, your individual sections are from tests that are less alike to the more current ones. To fix this, you need to buy some individual, very recent tests, so that you can drill things that will be more like what is on the actual test.
The other issue you are having is probably due to endurance and is probably your most significant issue. The LSAT is a marathon and a sprint at the same time. You've got the sprint part down; now you need to work on getting that stretched over a much longer period. This is definitely an issue if you're scoring very well on the first couple of sections and deteriorate quickly towards the end of the test. To work on this, you need to do as many full, five-section tests as possible, and maybe some six, seven, or eight section tests as well. This will work your endurance enough to match the actual test and if you do even longer tests, the real thing will seem easy.

My scores are pretty constant in each section throughout the PT/ -5 LG -7LR -6LR -5RC so I guess I should just be taking full tests the majority of the time instead of individual sections?

Strange

Postby Strange » Fri May 13, 2011 9:28 pm

What do you guys recommend eating during break time?

HBK

Postby HBK » Fri May 13, 2011 9:42 pm

Mental fatigue. 35 minutes v. 3 hours.

HBK

Postby HBK » Fri May 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Strange wrote:What do you guys recommend eating during break time?

Little pretzels worked for me. When I'm in a testing situation with high stress, I can't make myself eat an entire Clif Bar. It makes me want to throw up. But everyone's different.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:46 pm

This is an endurance issue... Take more full timed PTs to get yourself used to the duration of the full test, and switching between section types.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri May 13, 2011 9:50 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:00 pm

rad law wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Just say "no". (but seriously, taking Adderall when you're not used to it = bad things.)

boosk

Postby boosk » Fri May 13, 2011 10:39 pm

carrots = focus food,

I killed my 2nd LR section after a bag.

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Fri May 13, 2011 10:49 pm

Everyone mentioned fatigue, but also anxiety does play a factor. With sections, you can check your results right after. On a test, you have to wait the entire thing out before checking. If you're the type that is bad at letting go and moving on to the next question, this could be affecting you as well.

kingjones59

Postby kingjones59 » Sat May 14, 2011 1:14 am

Well, I just took PT 46 and my scores were a lot closer to what I have been averaging in just doing section, -2 RC -4 LR -3LR -2 LG = 88/ 168. I hope this was not a fluke as this is my highest one yet....I guess it just means more PT's.... :?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”