PT: 35 Section 1, LR, #21 Sleep Paradox

secretad

PT: 35 Section 1, LR, #21 Sleep Paradox

Postby secretad » Fri May 13, 2011 6:59 am

A) The shorter one's sleep time, the easier it is to awaken from sleeping. (Eliminate)

B) The first two hours of sleep do the most to alleviate fatigue. (Chose this one, explained below)

C) Some people require less sleep than the eight hours required by the average person. (This would not resolve anything, eliminated)

D) Most people who suffer from nightmares experience them in the last hour of sleep before waking. (Would not make a difference in the # of hours slept since it is last hour of sleep, and nightmares cannot be inferred from information in stimulus, eliminated)

E) Worry about satisfying the need for sufficient sleep can make it more difficult to sleep. (Correct answer, but I feel it does not resolve the discrepancy, read below)

For #21, I had it down to B and E. I liked B more and here is why.

If B were true, then the first two hours do the most to alleviate fatigue. Most ranges from more than 50% to all. So it could be the case that the first two hours do everything to alleviate fatigue in terms of sleep. This would then explain why the doctors would not advise the patient to sleep more, because if the first two hours do everything to alleviate fatigue, what good is the seventh, tenth, twentieth hour going to do? None. It does state in the stimulus that the four to six hours of sleep contributed (caused) the condition of feeling fatigued. This still does not weaken my point. Most can imply 99.9% in this case, and we would see then that the first two hours of sleep alleviate 99.9% of fatigue. Thus, why would the doctor advise the patient to sleep more with only .1 of a percent improvement? And even then, the patient is sleeping more than two hours already, since it is stated that the patient sleeps four to six hours.

I do not like E for the following reasons. Just because worry about satisfying the need for sufficient sleep can make it more difficult to sleep, why wouldn't the doctor still tell that person? Oh, wow, it may make it more difficult, who cares? The patient already sleeps only four to six hours anyway, perhaps this advice will hit home to the patient to sleep more.
Last edited by secretad on Fri May 13, 2011 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eugenie Danglars

Re: PT: 35 Section 1, LR, #21 Sleep Paradox

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri May 13, 2011 7:08 am

You're going to need to take down the question asap. Posting copyright material is not allowed.

But anyway...the problem with B is not that you're wrong. Perhaps those first two hours are the most helpful. It's a moot point because the stimulus tell us that, in this case, most is not enough. Despite those first two hours (and an additional two to four more), the patient has a fatigue problem. So, even if the marginal benefit of more sleep is .1%, it is better than nothing. The solution is more sleep, but the doctor doesn't "prescribe" it because that might worsen the problem.

davesmystery

Re: PT: 35 Section 1, LR, #21 Sleep Paradox

Postby davesmystery » Sat May 14, 2011 3:00 pm

I initially chose B as well, but later realized why I was wrong. B attempts to solve the person's problem, where as the question is concerned with explaining why a certain solution was not proposed. To effectively eliminate B it is important to realize that if the first two hours of sleep do the most to eliminate fatigue, the doctor would have ruled it out as part of the problem and something else was the culprit. In fact, as you'll probably discover, one of the tricks LSAC uses is listing answers that would be correct if it were a different type of question. If this were made into a weaken question, B would be the correct answer.

Getting the correct answer really hinges upon (at least for me) reading the last sentence and then answer choice E together. When you read it as "Yet the person was not told to sleep more because worry about satisfying the need for sufficient sleep can make it more difficult to sleep", it's pretty obvious that it's the right answer.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”