general games question

DaisyLafayette

general games question

Postby DaisyLafayette » Wed May 11, 2011 9:50 pm

I want to make sure I know this for sure--

If a question in a grouping game states "which one of the following could be a complete and accurate list of each of the groups A serves in" does this always mean a specific possible outcome or to list all of the possible groups A can be a member of?

for this question it is possible that A is in XYZ but you can infer that A can only be in two groups. so the answer was just XY. I was so annoyed trying to pick one - either the full list of three or the two. So does this hold in all games??

secretad

Re: general games question

Postby secretad » Wed May 11, 2011 9:52 pm

Yeah, that question stem implies every possible group that A could be involved with in the game.

Cambridge LSAT

Postby Cambridge LSAT » Thu May 12, 2011 1:12 am

When a question is phrased like that, you're looking for a list which represents one acceptable scenario. The key distinction is that the phrase "could be" is placed in front of "complete and accurate list." It implies, and it is generally the case, that there is more than one "complete and accurate list" which satisfies the criteria. Of course, there will only be one acceptable list among the choices. Contrast that with the following question:

"Which of the following is a complete and accurate list of the groups, in any one of which, A could serve?"

If you're being asked what is a complete and accurate list, there can only be one such list. Thus, this type of question applies to the entire gamut of acceptable solutions.

• could be a complete and accurate list: the correct answer will reference one acceptable scenario
  • is a complete and accurate list: the correct answer must encompass all viable scenarios

DaisyLafayette

Postby DaisyLafayette » Thu May 12, 2011 9:40 am

perfect. thanks!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”