Need advice for how to study this summer

poonsterman1

Need advice for how to study this summer

Postby poonsterman1 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Hey guys, I need your advice on what to do this summer. I'm taking the oct lsat and have been studying for like 6 months and i'm in the 159-162 range, i want to reach at least a 167. I'm taking Kaplan's Extreme class right now, and have the option to take their Advanced class in the summer in los angeles. I live in orange county so i was thinking maybe i should rent out a place in LA and study there over the summer. My parents think i should self study and stay in orange county but i'm getting bored of the place and think a change in scenery might help. My parents also said they'd pay for another prep company like powerscore or blueprint if i stayed at home. btw there is no kaplan advanced course near me besides the one in los angeles. What do i do?

Cliff notes
-taking test in oct
-at a 159-162, want min of 167
-in kaplan extreme now, thinking about going to LA to do Kaplan Advanced
-parents want me to stay home and do self study or another prep company
-I'm tired of the same old, same old and think a change in scenery would help me focus more
-your thoughts?

flounder

Re: Need advice for how to study this summer

Postby flounder » Wed May 11, 2011 3:40 pm

Find Pithypike's 3 month study plan. Follow. Get 170!

It believe it is stickied in the LSAT discussion board.

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Wed May 11, 2011 3:49 pm

poonsterman1 wrote:Hey guys, I need your advice on what to do this summer. I'm taking the oct lsat and have been studying for like 6 months and i'm in the 159-162 range, i want to reach at least a 167. I'm taking Kaplan's Extreme class right now, and have the option to take their Advanced class in the summer in los angeles. I live in orange county so i was thinking maybe i should rent out a place in LA and study there over the summer. My parents think i should self study and stay in orange county but i'm getting bored of the place and think a change in scenery might help. My parents also said they'd pay for another prep company like powerscore or blueprint if i stayed at home. btw there is no kaplan advanced course near me besides the one in los angeles. What do i do?

Cliff notes
-taking test in oct
-at a 159-162, want min of 167
-in kaplan extreme now, thinking about going to LA to do Kaplan Advanced
-parents want me to stay home and do self study or another prep company
-I'm tired of the same old, same old and think a change in scenery would help me focus more
-your thoughts?

Take a different course, I have avoided Kaplan due to the advice of people on this board and that I have met in person that have taken it, so I can't personally say anything about the faults, but I have not heard a good thing about them.

Also, I guess moving to a new city could help someone focus, but wouldn't you be interested to get out and explore your new surroundings, whereas at your boring home town you would be just as content staying at home and studying as doing anything else? That's just my take on it.

poonsterman1

Postby poonsterman1 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:59 pm

I'm looking at Pithypike's post now, it looks promising.

I heard some bad things about Kaplan as well, but it was close by and seemed legit. The thing with staying at home is that there isn't much to do, it's literally one of the most boring places in america, and most of my friends are gonna be traveling and etc. It does seem practical though. I just figured i could study during the week in LA and then take a break by hitting the clubs and stuff the weekends. What are your thoughts on taking another prep class at this point? I understand most of the fundamentals like formal logic question type, and game maps, i just need to pick up my speed on reading comp, still need practice on games as i get like 15/23 usually and i need to work on understanding the dense language of some LR questions

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Wed May 11, 2011 4:13 pm

poonsterman1 wrote:I'm looking at Pithypike's post now, it looks promising.

I heard some bad things about Kaplan as well, but it was close by and seemed legit. The thing with staying at home is that there isn't much to do, it's literally one of the most boring places in america, and most of my friends are gonna be traveling and etc. It does seem practical though. I just figured i could study during the week in LA and then take a break by hitting the clubs and stuff the weekends. What are your thoughts on taking another prep class at this point? I understand most of the fundamentals like formal logic question type, and game maps, i just need to pick up my speed on reading comp, still need practice on games as i get like 15/23 usually and i need to work on understanding the dense language of some LR questions

Sounds like fixing your problems in games will get you where you want to be. Pithy Pike's is very game heavy, so that should help you a lot. If you take a course and you find other people around your level that are looking to improve, that should help immensely. Some people get screwed up when introduced to two different methods, I personally like it so I can pick which makes more sense to me.

If you just need to speed up and practice, a prep course may not be necessary, but I would have a problem staying busy studying with nothing else to do and no real structured course.

poonsterman1

Postby poonsterman1 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:38 pm

Yea you're kinda right about the structure of a class. So far I've been able to mix the methods in the powerscore LR and LG bibles with Kaplan's methods, its working out okay. Any MOAR advice guys?

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Thu May 12, 2011 5:14 pm

poonsterman1 wrote: it's literally one of the most boring places in america

...but it looked so awesome on the O.C.

poonsterman1

Postby poonsterman1 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:08 pm

hahah im in irvine, the newport area is nicer/better, but still its too familiar and i want to try something new, im starting to feel a bit depressed here. But im beginning to think the rent money for a place in la would be better spent on a powerscore or blueprint class

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sat May 14, 2011 6:25 pm

I worked in Irvine for a summer, so I feel your pain. The Goat Hill Tavern got me through it, though.

poonsterman1 wrote:I understand most of the fundamentals like formal logic question type, and game maps, i just need to pick up my speed on reading comp, still need practice on games as i get like 15/23 usually and i need to work on understanding the dense language of some LR questions

Outside of RC, it seems like you're having problems with the more 'mechanical' parts of the test, assuming dense language=complex conditional statements. If that's the case, you're in a good place, as mechanical = more learnable.

As far as speeding up on RC goes, that takes picking a reading method, sticking to it, and practicing a lot. People always push RC studying off because they feel it isn't learnable, but you can certainly improve (and there are gonna be more RC questions than questions in the game section).

If you have any questions about BP's classes (like sitting in on a class or what's available), shoot me a PM.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”