GRE RC vs. LSAT RC

G. F. Handel

GRE RC vs. LSAT RC

Postby G. F. Handel » Tue May 10, 2011 6:03 pm

I have a bunch of GRE study material and am curious to know how the GRE RC compares to that of the LSAT. I intend to do as many actual LSAT RC as possible, but if I can supplement that with RC from the GRE, that should be good practice, no? Are the degrees of difficulty and types of questions asked similar?

I appreciate your time.

MoneyBags

Re: GRE RC vs. LSAT RC

Postby MoneyBags » Tue May 10, 2011 7:27 pm

get lsat material.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue May 10, 2011 7:29 pm

Having taken both (although the GRE 15 years ago), the passages are about of the same difficulty, I think but the types of questions that you will be asked differ greatly. The LSAT doesn't require you to understand things like point of view or voice, it asks you about the argument that is being made. You'll appreciate focusing just on LSAT prep material.

Kimchi_smile

Postby Kimchi_smile » Tue May 10, 2011 10:36 pm

Don't waste your time with GRE reading. I'm also weak on reading, but I'm not using GRE passages as supplements. Instead, I just read complex science and literature to force myself to gradually increase comprehension. I think the hardest part of RC is science passages, right? Read things like The Economist and pick passages you think are hard enough to match the LSAT level.

G. F. Handel

Postby G. F. Handel » Tue May 10, 2011 11:45 pm

Many thanks to the responses thus far. I was concerned I didn't have enough RC prep material, thus the desire to supplement. My scores for that section have been pretty good; perhaps I'm just worrying too much.

I'll stick to the LSAT material and read Scientific American when I can.

Also, I recommend

http://www.aldaily.com

for getting higher-quality reading material to complement their RC studies.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:15 am

just buy more lsat material. reading like a law student, and reading like a regular grad student are very different. i'm sure reading for the gre is more useful than reading the newspaper, because you are still thinking like a standardized test, but if it takes away from LSAT reading then it's a no go. the 100 bucks you'd save pale in comparison to 1 more point on the lsat.

glewz

Postby glewz » Wed May 11, 2011 12:21 am

DocHawkeye wrote:Having taken both (although the GRE 15 years ago), the passages are about of the same difficulty, I think but the types of questions that you will be asked differ greatly. The LSAT doesn't require you to understand things like point of view or voice, it asks you about the argument that is being made. You'll appreciate focusing just on LSAT prep material.

hmmm, I took the GRE in the last few months and had a different experience from Doc - the RC questions were very similar, but the passages varied significantly (both in length and in content).

SanDiegoJake

Postby SanDiegoJake » Thu May 12, 2011 3:55 pm

I would not recommend using either GRE or GMAT material to study for the LSAT. While the questions are somewhat similar, the passages are much denser and much more complicated structurally.

If you want to practice science passages in particular, however, MCAT passages could be effective. Having said that, I still would make my primary focus real LSAT questions, only resorting to other tests when I've exhausted all real LSAT material.

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Fri May 13, 2011 2:06 pm

SanDiegoJake wrote:I would not recommend using either GRE or GMAT material to study for the LSAT. While the questions are somewhat similar, the passages are much denser and much more complicated structurally.

If you want to practice science passages in particular, however, MCAT passages could be effective. Having said that, I still would make my primary focus real LSAT questions, only resorting to other tests when I've exhausted all real LSAT material.

Yeah, GMAT RC is a joke next to the LSAT. I think I may retake the GMAT after the LSAT, my verbal score will almost definitely go up with the studying I am doing now.

futurelawstudent1

Postby futurelawstudent1 » Sat May 14, 2011 4:24 am

The reading comprehension sections on the LSAT, GRE, and GMAT are all very similar, and supplementing your LSAT studying with questions from another test will only help you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”