Are older PT questions like PT6 S3 #7 worded confusingly?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jim-green

Silver
Posts: 804
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Are older PT questions like PT6 S3 #7 worded confusingly?

Postby jim-green » Mon May 09, 2011 4:47 pm

For this question, the correct ans is A, which talks about "a financial drain on taxes." I took that to mean a BIG drain that spends 99% of taxes. They only mean that the "drain" costs "some" money not a BIG amount. This confused me.
I chose ans D because of this.
Do older PTs in general have ambiguous language like this, or do newer PTs have this too? The few newer PTs I have done appeared clearer in what the words meant. The logic is still tough, but the language is not ambiguous.

User avatar
suspicious android

Silver
Posts: 919
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Are older PT questions like PT6 S3 #7 worded confusingly?

Postby suspicious android » Mon May 09, 2011 5:09 pm

jim-green wrote:For this question, the correct ans is A, which talks about "a financial drain on taxes." I took that to mean a BIG drain that spends 99% of taxes. They only mean that the "drain" costs "some" money not a BIG amount. This confused me.
I chose ans D because of this.
Do older PTs in general have ambiguous language like this, or do newer PTs have this too? The few newer PTs I have done appeared clearer in what the words meant. The logic is still tough, but the language is not ambiguous.


This is classic LSAT language that would be right at home on any prep test.

jim-green

Silver
Posts: 804
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Are older PT questions like PT6 S3 #7 worded confusingly?

Postby jim-green » Mon May 09, 2011 5:15 pm

suspicious android wrote:
jim-green wrote:For this question, the correct ans is A, which talks about "a financial drain on taxes." I took that to mean a BIG drain that spends 99% of taxes. They only mean that the "drain" costs "some" money not a BIG amount. This confused me.
This is classic LSAT language that would be right at home on any prep test.
Thanks, SA.

youknowryan

Bronze
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:20 am

Re: Are older PT questions like PT6 S3 #7 worded confusingly?

Postby youknowryan » Tue May 10, 2011 12:11 am

jim-green wrote:For this question, the correct ans is A, which talks about "a financial drain on taxes." I took that to mean a BIG drain that spends 99% of taxes. They only mean that the "drain" costs "some" money not a BIG amount. This confused me.
I chose ans D because of this.
Do older PTs in general have ambiguous language like this, or do newer PTs have this too? The few newer PTs I have done appeared clearer in what the words meant. The logic is still tough, but the language is not ambiguous.


Sans a modifier, this could mean anywhere from a tiny amount like 1% all the way to 99%. What makes this question tougher is the the stimulus has 2 conclusions and the question directs you to one specifically.

jim-green

Silver
Posts: 804
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Are older PT questions like PT6 S3 #7 worded confusingly?

Postby jim-green » Tue May 10, 2011 9:04 am

Yes, tks, that confused me too, hence I chose ans D with the motorcycle and horse, so I could kill two birds with one rock.
youknowryan wrote:Sans a modifier, this could mean anywhere from a tiny amount like 1% all the way to 99%. What makes this question tougher is the the stimulus has 2 conclusions and the question directs you to one specifically.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests