3.9 + 168s = Oct for me? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Eichörnchen

Silver

3.9 + 168s = Oct for me?

Post by Eichörnchen » Sun May 08, 2011 9:50 pm

Well since everyone else seems to be in the same state of mayhem I figured I may as well throw my hat into the ring. I am stressing because I always wanted to break 170 and my last PTs have been 166, 168, 170, 168, 162, 169 :|
Games are my worst section by far. I've done almost all of them three times and I've read the bible twice. I took a PT break after that 162 (I had -11 games on that PT) and came back with a 169 (-3 games but it was a white knuckle ride). My diagnostic was a 160 and I've been studying since Feb. I can say frankly that at this point I do not feel I have reached my ceiling. I am at the point in games where I can muddle my way through, but to get a -0 when drilling, I take about 10 mins. I think I could still improve a lot in games (I hope?) and I have had a -0 in a LR section about four times, and a few times in RC. These have (sadly) not become regular occurrences but I wonder if with more time they could (I have the LRB but have only been able to read the first 1/3 so far).
So to sum it up, I think I could do better with more time. But how does this stack up with the later admission after the Oct score release, not to mention the scary prospect of putting all my eggs in the Oct basket (paranoia sets in when I think of the flu...power outages...nerves) but with my GPA I don't want to cut myself off of the possibility of HS - dream schools but not likely, I know. Especially because I am boring and have no interesting work experience. But I know they don't like retakes and that they average scores. Thoughts?

mickeyD

Bronze

Re: 3.9 + 168s = Oct for me?

Post by mickeyD » Sun May 08, 2011 9:56 pm

I won't bore you with my normal encouragement. Games are the kind of section where you either know that you killed it or you know that you got worked by a game/games. Take the June test- you should know right afterwards if you're canceling or not. A cancel doesn't hurt you, and it at least gives you an opportunity, whereas postponing to October will put enormous pressure on you to do well to be in good position this cycle.

lavenderb181

New

Post by lavenderb181 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:30 pm

Agree with previous poster. I think you should take June test and then re-take if you need to. Also it is still a month until the test. That is some time to improve.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Sun May 08, 2011 10:51 pm

Yeah, I think it ultimately comes down to the value you place on a canceled score. If you don't think it'll hurt you much, there's a decent reason to take in June and make sure you can assess your LG performance. If a cancel is something you're unwilling to have on your score report, I'd say postpone. One cancel on your report probably doesn't make much difference, but that's up to you.

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sun May 08, 2011 11:17 pm

I think my biggest issue is that if I take in June, I'll have to focus on games to the detriment of everything else. I think with more time I could get pretty good at LR and I haven't even done anything to prep for RC save the 11 PTs I've done. For LR I've reviewed all the Qs in those PTs and written why I got it right/wrong. I guess to answer the ultimate tls question of will I be taking at my peak if I take in June - No. But I am thinking of taking in June as you suggest, because it might be like a dry run. I can see how I'll feel during the LSAT and what my test center conditions are. And there is always the off chance that something amazing will happen and I'll start PTing at 177 starting tomorrow ;) Ok probably not, so is it stupid to go take an LSAT that you know you'll cancel?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Sun May 08, 2011 11:19 pm

lavenderb181 wrote:Agree with previous poster. I think you should take June test and then re-take if you need to. Also it is still a month until the test. That is some time to improve.
My problem with taking when I know I'm not ready and planning on a retake is HYS average your scores and my gpa is in their range so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot

zanzbar

Bronze

Post by zanzbar » Sun May 08, 2011 11:21 pm

I am also torn between postponing or just taking in June. I had to take about 3 weeks off from studying just because of work and my finals so I am behind in studying but I figure I would hit it hard this week take a practice test Saturday and if I am not in the mid 160s I am just going to postpone. Its funny because I also have a high GPA so I'm scared of screwing up a shot of YHS even though I doubt I could afford to attend if I got in. Another aspect is I noticed that I am overconfident with myself on the test so I doubt I would have the sense to cancel if I did sit for the test.

YaSvoboden

Bronze

Post by YaSvoboden » Mon May 09, 2011 2:35 am

zanzbar wrote:I am also torn between postponing or just taking in June. I had to take about 3 weeks off from studying just because of work and my finals so I am behind in studying but I figure I would hit it hard this week take a practice test Saturday and if I am not in the mid 160s I am just going to postpone. Its funny because I also have a high GPA so I'm scared of screwing up a shot of YHS even though I doubt I could afford to attend if I got in. Another aspect is I noticed that I am overconfident with myself on the test so I doubt I would have the sense to cancel if I did sit for the test.
How can you not afford HYS but you can afford another school? Unless you have a cheap state school in mind or something, all the top schools are pretty damn expensive. Also, if you really are aiming that high, I would say postpone unless you are high 160s and have lots of time between now and the test.

To OP, it sounds like you have put in a good amount of work and would definitely get a good school with your scores now. Though good isn't all that you are looking for. Mickey's advice seems really sound, if you screw up the games, you know it. I also usually have a decent idea of how I did on RC, though I seem to be a few points behind where you are on that section. Work like mad the next few weeks and go for it in June, if it doesn't feel good, cancel. But if it does feel good, take your score and retake if you think it's necessary.

On the other hand, you are only 1/3 of the way through the LGB and haven't done anything for RC, so you could probably turn those into near perfect every time with your innate ability. The real risk of October is that if something goes wrong, you are stuck with December and a relatively late app. I still say that Mickey has the best advice. Take June, if you feel good about the test afterwards, keep it, if you know there were some rough spots, cancel.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Mon May 09, 2011 8:20 am

Eichörnchen wrote:But how does this stack up with the later admission after the Oct score release, not to mention the scary prospect of putting all my eggs in the Oct basket (paranoia sets in when I think of the flu...power outages...nerves) but with my GPA I don't want to cut myself off of the possibility of HS - dream schools but not likely, I know. Especially because I am boring and have no interesting work experience. But I know they don't like retakes and that they average scores. Thoughts?
Sending your applications before November is considered early. Any application sent before Thanksgiving is considered early. So whether or not you sit in October won't be a huge disadvantage for you as ADCOMMs usually receive the bulk of applications some time in December/January.

You still have a few more weeks to drill on LG and its a huge possibility the June exam will be the more lenient curve amongst the three released exams. Last year it was December so my guess is this year its either in June or October.

I suggest you still sit in June shooting for near to perfect or perfect LR and RC sections and try getting to 3 and 1/2 games. Leave the room for error for your LG section. During the test you'll know whether or not you aced it. If you feel otherwise you can always cancel/retake. And for what its worth, there were a number of students who got into Stanford with 3.9/high 160s. SLS tends to be more lenient when it comes to LSAT scores.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 am

Thanks everyone. The poster who pointed out that I haven't been able to do the LRB and I haven't done anything for RC yet kinda hits the nail on the head- I have pretty strong innate ability in those sections so I wonder if with more time I could become a pretty high scorer. When I test I tend to focus on each question and forget about however I felt on the previous ones so I have a tough time estimating my overall performance (I feel the same on a -3 LR section as I do when I go -0), so in all likelihood I will probably sit for June, get the test day experience and cancel unless I start to PT in the 170s like I want.
Trust me I was soo set on being done in June. The prospect of studying through summer and screwing up some major plans I have does not sound fun :( I just want to make sure I do the best I can do on this test, not just the best I could do in the time given, and I also don't want to have to always wonder what might have been. All this uncertainty is so stressful...take it in June and keep the score/count on a retake...start doing PTs like mad/save some new ones for studying in Oct...etc etc etc :roll:

BrightLine

Bronze

Post by BrightLine » Tue May 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Well since everyone else seems to be in the same state of mayhem I figured I may as well throw my hat into the ring. I am stressing because I always wanted to break 170 and my last PTs have been 166, 168, 170, 168, 162, 169 :|
Games are my worst section by far. I've done almost all of them three times and I've read the bible twice. I took a PT break after that 162 (I had -11 games on that PT) and came back with a 169 (-3 games but it was a white knuckle ride). My diagnostic was a 160 and I've been studying since Feb. I can say frankly that at this point I do not feel I have reached my ceiling. I am at the point in games where I can muddle my way through, but to get a -0 when drilling, I take about 10 mins. I think I could still improve a lot in games (I hope?) and I have had a -0 in a LR section about four times, and a few times in RC. These have (sadly) not become regular occurrences but I wonder if with more time they could (I have the LRB but have only been able to read the first 1/3 so far).
So to sum it up, I think I could do better with more time. But how does this stack up with the later admission after the Oct score release, not to mention the scary prospect of putting all my eggs in the Oct basket (paranoia sets in when I think of the flu...power outages...nerves) but with my GPA I don't want to cut myself off of the possibility of HS - dream schools but not likely, I know. Especially because I am boring and have no interesting work experience. But I know they don't like retakes and that they average scores. Thoughts?

Well that is the key right there. Do not go into the test thinking "i will probably cancel but maybe i nail it." You should plan to take the LSAT once. Prepare for that day and know that you have done everything in your power to prepare for that day. If something happens you can and should cancel/retake.

The point is, if you think that spending the summer practicing will raise your score then take it October. But only you really know how you will spend the summer.

Good luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”