Postponing until October

flounder

Postponing until October

Postby flounder » Sat May 07, 2011 6:08 pm

I have gone through the LR and LG books. I have taken 4 full practice tests and dozens of practice sets. I am only at 155. I understand the explanations of why I got things wrong but I just keep seeming to make the same mistakes over and over again. I am shooting for a 164 and I do not think I am going to make it.

somewhatwayward

Re: Postponing until October

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat May 07, 2011 6:10 pm

definitely postpone. if you are worried about getting apps in early, then have everything ready to send as soon as your october LSAT score comes out.

flounder

Postby flounder » Sat May 07, 2011 6:13 pm

That was another question I had. Cant I get everything in and then the package will be complete with the LSAT?

Maleficient

Postby Maleficient » Sat May 07, 2011 7:03 pm

flounder wrote:That was another question I had. Cant I get everything in and then the package will be complete with the LSAT?

Yep.

Take time off and do more practice tests. If you don't feel ready now, you won't feel ready come June.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat May 07, 2011 7:35 pm

Maleficient wrote:
flounder wrote:That was another question I had. Cant I get everything in and then the package will be complete with the LSAT?

Yep.

Take time off and do more practice tests. If you don't feel ready now, you won't feel ready come June.

eh, I don't agree with the bolded statement above.

A lot can happen in a month if one goes hardcore and lives and breathes the LSAT very seriously for 4 weeks in effective ways. Of course, how much improvement can be made in that time does also depend on how much prep one has already done and how they have been going about it. It's pretty common for people to make large improvements in the final weeks leading up to the test if they are not starting from scratch. We don't know many details of OP's current prep situation, so it's premature to make such a broad generalized conclusion/recommendation, especially since (s)he has apparently only taken 4 full timed practice tests so far.

OP, you have one week to decide to postpone your test date without it appearing on your LSAC CAS report that LS's you apply to will see. The online deadline to postpone your registration from June to the October test is next Sunday, May 15th at midnight EST. You still have 4 weeks and two days until the June test. A lot can happen in that time if you practice and review a lot.

Maleficient

Postby Maleficient » Sat May 07, 2011 7:49 pm

flounder wrote: I have gone through the LR and LG books. I have taken 4 full practice tests and dozens of practice sets. I am only at 155. I understand the explanations of why I got things wrong but I just keep seeming to make the same mistakes over and over again. I am shooting for a 164 and I do not think I am going to make it.

This sounded to me like a description of the prep he has done so far. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable going into the LSAT without at least twenty practice tests under my belt and a consistent PT score at or above my goal. To reach that mark this late in the game could cause serious burn out.

Then again, I'm still in undergrad so if I were in OP's situation I would have both finals and intense LSAT prep to deal with the next couple weeks which would mean inevitable burnout. His situation may be different.

Either way, it doesn't hurt to postpone. Just have everything else ready by the time the October score comes out and submit immediately. Better than stressing and potentially having to retake.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat May 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Maleficient wrote:
flounder wrote: I have gone through the LR and LG books. I have taken 4 full practice tests and dozens of practice sets. I am only at 155. I understand the explanations of why I got things wrong but I just keep seeming to make the same mistakes over and over again. I am shooting for a 164 and I do not think I am going to make it.

This sounded to me like a description of the prep he has done so far. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable going into the LSAT without at least twenty practice tests under my belt and a consistent PT score at or above my goal. To reach that mark this late in the game could cause serious burn out.

Then again, I'm still in undergrad so if I were in OP's situation I would have both finals and intense LSAT prep to deal with the next couple weeks which would mean inevitable burnout. His situation may be different.

Either way, it doesn't hurt to postpone. Just have everything else ready by the time the October score comes out and submit immediately. Better than stressing and potentially having to retake.

Yeah, those are valid issues to take into consideration. Since LSAC rolled the postpone deadline back to being 3 weeks before test day, unlike the way it used to be when that was not an issue, it's a tough decision to make almost a month out. However, with a clean LSAC CAS slate (no reported scores, cancellations or absences) and if not also facing UG finals during the same time, moving forward to take it in June doesn't have any significant downsides. If things really click and come together in the last few weeks as well as on test day (which happens frequently with people that go into full LSAT mode and ride the momentum all the way to test day), excellent, mission accomplished, LSAT done and out of the way. If not, one cancellation doesn't even raise an eyebrow with admission committees.

flounder

Postby flounder » Sat May 07, 2011 11:17 pm

I am 38 years old and I work fulltime. I am worried that I will not gain 10 points in one month. I am not sure if that is even possible. I was fully prepared to take a full time test, then review on alternate nights for the entire month of June. I should have 15 tests done by June 6th. I would feel better if I was around 158. I am not even at the point where I can complete an entire LG section section in 35 minutes. I usually get half the questions done then choose "E" for the rest of them.
It seems like I am going backwards. My diag was 150. My first full test was 155, then 154, then 149 today. I just think I can regroup, follow PithyPikes test schedule then hit it in October.

Is October too late?

Wouldnt it be better to have one LSAT be a 164 then one at 164 and one at 15x?

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun May 08, 2011 1:13 am

flounder wrote:I am 38 years old and I work fulltime. I am worried that I will not gain 10 points in one month. I am not sure if that is even possible. I was fully prepared to take a full time test, then review on alternate nights for the entire month of June. I should have 15 tests done by June 6th. I would feel better if I was around 158. I am not even at the point where I can complete an entire LG section section in 35 minutes. I usually get half the questions done then choose "E" for the rest of them.
It seems like I am going backwards. My diag was 150. My first full test was 155, then 154, then 149 today. I just think I can regroup, follow PithyPikes test schedule then hit it in October.

Is October too late?

Wouldnt it be better to have one LSAT be a 164 then one at 164 and one at 15x?

You are not ready for June. You have done 4 tests, adn will do 11 in 3 weeks? Thats a lot, and if you dont spend time reviewing and documenting why you go the wrong asnwers wrong, and charting question types, and location in the section- then its a wasted opportunity. Post test review is really important, as you can learn a lot by figuring out your trap answers, and overcoming them. Right now, you are still learning, as it is very common to see a score decrease as you figure out section strategy. If you only get to 2 games, and guess the rest, you are leaving a ton of points on the table. Logic Games are the only section where you can be fully sure you got the answer right, so its very important to be able to do all 4 games in 35 minutes. Postpone until october and take your time. Also- as an aside, dont neglect RC- while it is very hard to see a big score jump, it does have the most questions in the section ( number wise) and there are strategies to get more points. THis section needs a lot more time and effort to see any gains, so if you put it in, you will be rewarded later down the line. Best of luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”