-9 total in LR on PrepTest 53, So Upset

secretad

-9 total in LR on PrepTest 53, So Upset

Postby secretad » Fri May 06, 2011 9:01 pm

Most of the answer overviews on Manhattan's website either does not feature the problem I missed or its explanation does not target my concerns.

I am having serious concerns over these questions. Let me start with the last LR question I missed.

Section 3, #24: The professor's argument proceeds by

I do not see an analogy in this stimulus, so C is dismissed.

I see so many answer choices about general principles. How is this a principle? There is nothing I see in the stimulus about there being a principle.

What is a general principle then? I thought it was something that is of a prescriptive nature, such as "should."

Anyway, that one is really irking me, along with, Section 3 #23: Parallel the reasoning.

I went through the answer choices after reading the stimulus with this reasoning in mind: It is not the action that causes the harm or threat, but rather the rate of it.

Needless to say, none of the answer choices jumped out. Then to see that D is the right answer? How is that right, it can't parallel it because it has no concept of rate?

Section 3, #7, Which one of the following logically completes the argument?

This one really halted me in my "ten questions in ten minutes of less strategy."

I got rid of C, D, and E.

Now it is between A and B. A is the right answer. How in the world is it the right answer? I am very interested in hearing how I am supposed to know what the fulfillment of "its" goals is? How do I know what the goals of a teacher are? They are never expressed in the stimulus?

bhan87

Re: -9 total in LR on PrepTest 53, So Upset

Postby bhan87 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:37 pm

Most of the answer overviews on Manhattan's website either does not feature the problem I missed or its explanation does not target my concerns.

I am having serious concerns over these questions. Let me start with the last LR question I missed.

Section 3, #24: The professor's argument proceeds by

I do not see an analogy in this stimulus, so C is dismissed.

I see so many answer choices about general principles. How is this a principle? There is nothing I see in the stimulus about there being a principle.

What is a general principle then? I thought it was something that is of a prescriptive nature, such as "should."

General principles refer to a pattern that generally holds true for many situations and is not necessarily always prescriptive. In this case, the professor states the principle in the last sentence by arguing the extent of difference between choices is more important than the number of choices. You can tell this is a principle because you can apply this to another situation: A person who has an apple, an orange, and a banana would be more free than one that has a Fuji apple, a granny-smith apple, and a Washington apple. The professor concludes this general principle by showing one specific case that demonstrates it, which is why the answer is A.

Anyway, that one is really irking me, along with, Section 3 #23: Parallel the reasoning.

I went through the answer choices after reading the stimulus with this reasoning in mind: It is not the action that causes the harm or threat, but rather the rate of it.

Needless to say, none of the answer choices jumped out. Then to see that D is the right answer? How is that right, it can't parallel it because it has no concept of rate?

The pattern is something along the lines of: Action X is harmful, but not because of the action itself, but how we do the action.

The stimulus says cutting trees is harmful, but only because we're doing it too fast.

A. Wrong because it says the action in itself is bad regardless of how you do it
B. Wrong because it's making a sort of trade-off type claim. Satisfaction from a job well done > dislike of a job
C. Tempting choice, but I'd cross this one off in favor of D because it doesn't discuss a harm done
D. The right answer. Change to the company leads to fear, but only when we don't inform them.
E. Wrong for a similar reason to A because there's no distinction of how we depleted the soil

Section 3, #7, Which one of the following logically completes the argument?

This one really halted me in my "ten questions in ten minutes of less strategy."

I got rid of C, D, and E.

Now it is between A and B. A is the right answer. How in the world is it the right answer? I am very interested in hearing how I am supposed to know what the fulfillment of "its" goals is? How do I know what the goals of a teacher are? They are never expressed in the stimulus?

B is wrong because it's not "necessary" the teacher use rewards at all. The only necessity is that the teacher satisfies the curiously of his/her students. That can be done in a number of different ways other than rewards.

secretad

Postby secretad » Fri May 06, 2011 10:38 pm

I appreciate the response! Could you, or somebody else, please tell me how we know what "requires for the fulfillment of its goals" means? Is this the goals of the teacher? How do we know what those are? That's why I did not select this answer. How do I know what the teacher's job requires? I do not.

secretad

Postby secretad » Sat May 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Bump. This one is still driving me nuts. I can now get rid of all answers except for A, which is the correct one, so that is good.

However, I want to know more about this. In answer choice A, how can I know what the teacher's goals are?? This is very frustrating for a #7 question.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:03 pm

secretad wrote:Bump. This one is still driving me nuts. I can now get rid of all answers except for A, which is the correct one, so that is good.

However, I want to know more about this. In answer choice A, how can I know what the teacher's goals are?? This is very frustrating for a #7 question.

I'm going to give this one a try.
Curiousity is necessary in order for students to succesfully learn a topic.
The students who are curious about certain topics are satisfied as they learn.
However, these children are curious about some topics but not about all the topics that a teacher must teach. So what is the job of the teacher?
What is the goal of a teacher? for a student to successfully learn what is being taught.
A teacher is not only going to teach the subjects the students have a curiosity for so their job is to stimulate the student's curiosity for the subject that are to be taught and also to satisfy their curiosity so that they can successfully learn.

This is the way I understood the question. Hope this helps!

secretad

Postby secretad » Sat May 07, 2011 10:38 pm

mac35352 wrote:
secretad wrote:Bump. This one is still driving me nuts. I can now get rid of all answers except for A, which is the correct one, so that is good.

However, these children are curious about some topics but not about all the topics that a teacher must teach. So what is the job of the teacher?
What is the goal of a teacher? for a student to successfully learn what is being taught.
A teacher is not only going to teach the subjects the students have a curiosity for so their job is to stimulate the student's curiosity for the subject that are to be taught and also to satisfy their curiosity so that they can successfully learn.

How do you know that? That is not in the stimulus.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sat May 07, 2011 11:05 pm

secretad wrote:
mac35352 wrote:

How do you know that? That is not in the stimulus.

This is how I understood the question.
what is the role of a teacher? what does a teacher do?
What does the this mean to you "To learn successfully all that the teacher must instill".
what does instill mean?
what must the teacher instill?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”