Advice for people who....

darkatillam2

Advice for people who....

Postby darkatillam2 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:26 am

Are still missing -5 to -8 questions on LR sections untimed.

And don't say postpone (even tho that is probably a good idea).

whymeohgodno

Re: Advice for people who....

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri May 06, 2011 2:27 am

Go back and re-read the LR bible.

Ssushi

Postby Ssushi » Fri May 06, 2011 3:04 am

Really focus on the language of the stimulus and the answer choices. One thing that really helped me was to look at the possible answers and then find words that are either very broad or very narrow. Often times answers that say things like "Never" "Always" "Must" etc are to narrow or the language is to strong, and as a result it isn't the best answer.

Another thing that helps me is to focus on the scope of the question. For example, if the stimulus mentions that the government makes 2 claims about the environment, the best answer is usually one that addresses, or at least mentions, both of those claims. Some really attractive answers may mention only one claim in depth, but usually the scope of such answers is to narrow or to broad. Whenever i select an answer i make sure that everything in the answer has been brought up or implied by the stimulus, and if it hasn't then usually it is wrong.

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Fri May 06, 2011 3:06 am

I've read the bible 3 times. Rereading the superprep this week. I'm not really sure what's going on. Was consistently scoring around 165 (older PTs with nicer curves). Then I hit PTs 46-55 and my total missed LR scores doubled. My average PT score now in the later PTs is around 156.

Is this due to increased LR difficulty in the newer PTs?

I know some people will say burnout, but I took a 3 day study break to ease my mind and came back feeling in a funk and rusty. I still feel like I haven't gotten back into the mental groove that I had made after months of studying and slowly climbing PT scores.

Again, I don't know if this is due to the newer PTs, or what....

Oh, the original thread title was made because a friend of mine handed me all of his Testmaster's books he got when he took a class a few years back. I drilled two books of 80 LR questions by type and was missing almost 1 out of every 4 problems. After reviewing and spending more time on the problems most seemed very clear to me. Still, this is not the way it should be after so much prep (been on a 5-6 month plan. All bibles read - the LR 3 times now, superprep, master the lsat, 30-35 total PTs finished with around 12 more to take).

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:12 pm

bump

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Fri May 06, 2011 3:58 pm

Advice: more people will answer your question if it's not a mystery what you want based on the topic name.

tmon

Postby tmon » Fri May 06, 2011 4:35 pm

The difference from -6 to -3 was really focusing on the distinctions in the stimulus and answer choices. That and calming down and getting through the last few questions that I was often too stressed to get right. The Manhattan guide helped a lot with the former.

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:06 pm

Is it possible to over analyze the LR questions?

It seems that I'm missing one or two per section on questions where I think they are tough/separator questions and I end up looking at a correct answer choice and feel that it seems too simple to be the correct answer. With that being said, if the answer fits my prephrase perfectly, I choose it, but at times I ignore the correct answer choice because of a single word I'm not sure fits perfectly and feel that they placed that specific word in there to throw off those who aren't quite reading as closely.

I'd say I'm wrong most of the time when this happens. I'd say 1 out of 5 times I'm actually correct, and it was a very tough/separator question and I did in fact manage to get right because of my gut feeling the word in question made the answer wrong.

Has anyone else experienced this?

dr123

Postby dr123 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:07 pm

Which types of questions are you getting wrong?

darkatillam2

Postby darkatillam2 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:30 pm

It's all over the map to be honest.

Justify and assumptions really really killed me in most of my earlier PTs. I reread those chapters in the LRB 3 times and have since started to improve, but I'd still say assumption questions are hardest and most frequently missed for me. I just took PT 56 and went -15 combine on the LR sections. So it's pretty clear I'm still missing a wide range. I had to completely guess on two questions total due to lack of time. If I had an extra few minutes I probably would have gotten 3-4 more correct on my first LR section (that section was my worst). I had a lot of answers I wanted to check back on because I had the AC's narrowed to two solid contenders and ended up impulsively picking one because I knew if I didn't move on I would run out of time on the section.

I'm currently drilling MBT and method of reasoning questions out of the testmasters books. I'm getting thrown a lot on method questions that have conclusion indicator words which in fact do not indicate the main conclusion. Also when counter-premise indicator words are placed in front of the conclusion, etc. I can narrow down to two almost always, but there are always a few choice words which throw me off, or generally cause me to devote too much time to the question in order for me to answer it correctly.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”