One Month til Judgement day

boosk

One Month til Judgement day

Postby boosk » Thu May 05, 2011 6:41 pm

If one was hovering around 160 as of right now and planning on going into full on LSAT melt-down mode until June 6th, what kind of increase is achievable?

JamMasterJ

Re: One Month til Judgement day

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu May 05, 2011 6:46 pm

If you have been studying awhile probably a few points but if that were a diagnostic you could reach 170. If you haven't don a ton of studying yet, I would say to wait until Oct

boosk

Postby boosk » Thu May 05, 2011 6:49 pm

Ive been going pretty hardcore for about 4 weeks, jumped up five points from diag1-2, but Im planning on ratcheting it up a notch and living in the library till June. Just finished an internship so I can feasibly do this.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu May 05, 2011 6:51 pm

I could see a 166-8 happening, but I could see a higher score in October

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Thu May 05, 2011 6:56 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I could see a 166-8 happening, but I could see a higher score in October

There have been like a dozen threads on this today. If you aren't confident for June and you don't have a compelling reason not to wait til October, just do it in October and do some serious study this summer.

boosk

Postby boosk » Sat May 07, 2011 6:46 am

Im not asking for re-schedule advice, im asking how much improvement is possible with all-out effort for 4 weeks.

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Sat May 07, 2011 4:26 pm

boosk wrote:Im not asking for re-schedule advice, im asking how much improvement is possible with all-out effort for 4 weeks.

Ok. There are a lot of factors and exceptions, but don't count on more than 5 points.

Ocean64

Postby Ocean64 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:18 am

boosk wrote:Im not asking for re-schedule advice, im asking how much improvement is possible with all-out effort for 4 weeks.

^ LOL...good one!

privatemf

Postby privatemf » Tue May 10, 2011 7:42 am

I am thinking to reschedule for next year. The material is a lot for me and I am not testing where I would like to. I think that I need a lot more time but I am not sure what to do really. I am schedule for the test in June, but even with October, I don't think that is enough time. I am in school and Graduate studies along with this test seems a little too much. I know this sounds like whine and I want to do this now but I just don't think I will do well. I am doing the time test now and with that it seems like I am getting worse even though untimed I am doing well.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue May 10, 2011 9:30 am

privatemf wrote:

I am thinking to reschedule for next year. The material is a lot for me and I am not testing where I would like to. I think that I need a lot more time but I am not sure what to do really. I am schedule for the test in June, but even with October, I don't think that is enough time. I am in school and Graduate studies along with this test seems a little too much. I know this sounds like whine and I want to do this now but I just don't think I will do well. I am doing the time test now and with that it seems like I am getting worse even though untimed I am doing well.

yeah, if you are having trouble with timed tests, you def need to hold off

privatemf

Postby privatemf » Tue May 10, 2011 9:55 am

So what chance is there for any improvement if I wait. I really feel stupid, this is a difficult test. And after a few months, untimed I am doing better but timed is crazy, my score doesn't move and I need to increase at least by 15-16 points.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue May 10, 2011 4:36 pm

You need to make sure you know and can recognize common flawed methods of reasoning that lead to illogical conclusions as well as the valid methods of reasoning the lead to valid logical conclusions. With that you need to make sure you are APPLYING valid methods of reasoning when deciding how to approach and answer the questions.

The LSAT is specifically designed to measure your reasoning skills/abilities to see if you can make logically sound decisions really fast under pressure. If you typically let flawed methods of reasoning guide the thought processes you use to form conclusions/make decisions in your day to day life, the LSAT will punish you heavily for thinking illogically.

You need to make sure the typical thought processes you use to form conclusions/make decisions when taking the test are based on valid reasoning.

Your 'hey TLS, predict my future and tell me what I will score a month from now' is a question based on obviously flawed reasoning. The reasoning methods you regularly use in day to day life to make decisions/form conclusions are the ones you are most likely to apply split second 'on the fly' in high pressure situations with a strict time limit. You have to train yourself to consistently think logically. That really is the essence of LSAT prep.

doing_it_in_a_car

Postby doing_it_in_a_car » Tue May 10, 2011 8:32 pm

Uhh judgment day is only in 11 days guyz.

--ImageRemoved--

Ocean64

Postby Ocean64 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:32 am

doing_it_in_a_car wrote:Uhh judgment day is only in 11 days guyz.

--ImageRemoved--

I'm pretty sure YOU get to pick the date for your judgement day...one of 4 days a year...it's on LSAC website.

boosk

Postby boosk » Sun May 15, 2011 10:58 am

Jeffort wrote:Your 'hey TLS, predict my future and tell me what I will score a month from now' is a question based on obviously flawed reasoning.

If all the statements above are true which one of the following must be true?

A. The argument's conclusion is identical to one of its premises
B. The argument presents one possible solution to a problem as the only solution to that problem
C. The argument attacks a point that is different from the one made by opponents
D. Douchebag comment
E. The argument supports a universal claim on the basis of a single example

there might actually be two or three right answers on this one

NYCLSATTutor

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Sun May 15, 2011 3:34 pm

If you started around a 155, a jump to 165 shouldn't be terribly difficult. My guess is that you might stall around then, especially if you aren't receiving adequate instruction.

Remember also that spending 10 hours a day on the test will kill you. Its great to say you will work like crazy for 4 weeks, but there is only so much time you can spend on this stuff before your mind refuses to go on.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”