June vs Oct in my situation

User avatar
oyezoyez2015
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:43 pm

June vs Oct in my situation

Postby oyezoyez2015 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:01 pm

Hello All,

I'm currently scheduled for the June exam, however, over the past few months my study time was taken away significantly due to extenuating family circumstances. Things have finally settled down, but I now find myself in the situation that I'm PT'ing at 161-162, and I still feel shaky on concepts. I have a 3.1 UGPA, so any shot at the T14 means i'd have to somehow raise 10+ points or so in the next 4 weeks. I also work full time and am not able to take off anytime from work. If I go balls-to-the-wall for the next month, I may be able to reach my target score, but not sure. If I wait till October, I feel like i'd have much more time to recuperate and focus on studying this summer, but given my low GPA, would I risk applying too late for some schools (ie. ED to UVA or NU), given the weak GPA?

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
YaSvoboden
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: June vs Oct in my situation

Postby YaSvoboden » Thu May 05, 2011 5:13 pm

I vote October. I was PTing in that same range and have taken a magical jump on my last few tests, but I am still skeptical of it, so I decided to wait til Oct. I have asked this question to several people and it sounds like 1 extra point and a Nov 1 application beats an Oct. 1 application that is missing that point.

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: June vs Oct in my situation

Postby glitter178 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:21 pm

Yeah. I took the Oct LSAT last year and then hit the "submit" button on my apps as soon as my score came in. I performed exactly as my numbers would suggest and i heard back from all the schools promptly. Before Nov. 1st is just fine.

User avatar
NomadicScribe
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: June vs Oct in my situation

Postby NomadicScribe » Thu May 05, 2011 5:31 pm

I second YaSvoboden. I am much in the same situation as you (full time work, low-mid 160's, GPA could be better). Only my work situation doesn't allow much flexibility, so aside from my leave being denied, I decided it was better to take a slow-and-steady approach toward the desired score rather than psych myself out over the course of the next four weeks.

It's good to be dedicated, but it's also good to have balance and not stress yourself beyond the point of academic focus. My girlfriend got a 170 and it got her into Penn; she got there by being consistent, not by trying to make massive leaps. Confidence comes with consistency, which I've learned in all kinds of training (PT, memorization, weapons, etc.)

My approach is that it's a learnable skill, so proceed at the rate that allows you to learn it.

User avatar
davesmystery
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 2:04 pm

Re: June vs Oct in my situation

Postby davesmystery » Thu May 05, 2011 6:15 pm

I'm currently signed up for the June test and I'm kind of in the same boat as well. I was averaging 160 until I realized I can't take PTs after working all day or when I'm tired. I've been taking them in the mornings or on the weekends and I immediately jumped to 165-170. Just something to consider that might help you boost your score.

Also, I've noticed that most of my wrong answers come from either anxiety or missing key words or scope shifts. I'll be taking some more PTs this week and if I'm not hovering around 170+ when May 15th rolls around I will probably push it back since I'm low GPA as well.

The only problem then is if something goes wrong in October. If that winds up being the case, you should make sure the schools on your list are okay with you still applying then submitting and addendum saying you're planning on retaking to boost your score in December. Read the interviews with Deans of Admission for more information about that.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: June vs Oct in my situation

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu May 05, 2011 6:41 pm

YaSvoboden wrote:I vote October. I was PTing in that same range and have taken a magical jump on my last few tests, but I am still skeptical of it, so I decided to wait til Oct. I have asked this question to several people and it sounds like 1 extra point and a Nov 1 application beats an Oct. 1 application that is missing that point.

There's really no difference between Oct 1 and the day that the scores come back. Most schools don't even make decisions until December

Manhattan LSAT Noah
Posts: 746
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:43 am

Re: June vs Oct in my situation

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri May 06, 2011 11:00 am

silly, but perhaps thought-provoking
--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
cany
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:15 pm

Re: June vs Oct in my situation

Postby cany » Fri May 06, 2011 11:36 am

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:silly, but perhaps thought-provoking
--ImageRemoved--


Very helpful.Thanks!! I am debating between June and Oct too.I feel I have not given enough to the prep yet.And still struggling with making inferences and processing.The only fear I have is my application process will be affected and I might miss few school deadlines.Esp for NYU.Is that true?

Manhattan LSAT Noah
Posts: 746
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:43 am

Re: June vs Oct in my situation

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri May 06, 2011 1:25 pm

Oct is fine for apps. We could put it this way: having a June score adds 10% bonus to your application, having an LSAT score 6 pts. higher than before adds 65%. Not sure what the percentage is of, but I think you get the point.

poi
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:56 am

Re: June vs Oct in my situation

Postby poi » Fri May 06, 2011 8:04 pm

A great advantage of June is being able to retake in Oct if you need to and still submit apps reasonably early. Insurance.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cherrygalore, CMac86, NavyNuke, PrezRand and 9 guests