Getting a Headstart?

Getting a Headstart?

Postby pontificator » Tue May 03, 2011 1:23 pm

I am aware that this topic has been discussed in bits and pieces many times before, but I'm asking because I could use some more thorough guidance. I'm sure there are others in my position as well.

I am finishing my second year of UG with a solid GPA from a good school and strong softs. I'm positive I want to go to LS.
My major is very demanding and I will be busy both of the remaining summers I have left as an undergrad, meaning I won't be able to devote myself to studying as if it were a full time job (which would obviously be ideal).
I'm not opposed to the idea of taking a year off after I graduate, but I would be hesitant to do it just for the sake of the LSAT.
Last semester I took a free timed practice test offered by Kaplan (without ever having seen/done an LSAT question), and got a 153. Timing was definitely the biggest issue for me on that test, and specifically the logic games wrecked me.
Needless to say, I want to significantly improve that score (20+ points?). I'm confident I can make big gains with practice, and I want to seriously commit myself to that cause.

At the soonest, I will be taking the test about a year from now (June 2012), but I may wait as long as two years (most likely, it will end up being somewhere in the middle, like October 2012). I am thinking about starting to study this summer (in a relatively leisurely manner). I would pretty much stop in the fall so that I could focus on school, then resume again over winter break and again when the time comes to take the test. Basically my intention is just to get a jump for when I finally begin to intensely study in the period immediately preceding the actual test. In my mind I see this as making the whole process less insane, and since I kind of find it fun anyway, I want to start.

So here are my questions:
-First and foremost, is focused study so far ahead of time actually going to benefit me when the test comes? Are skills I gain studying likely to be lost if I don't consistently practice? For example, If I were to make it my task to work through the bibles over the summer, would that do me any good a year from now? Which of the sections on the test am I most or least likely to retain improvements in over time?
-Is depleting study materials a serious concern? (Again, assuming I don't go too crazy for now and only do a handful of preptests over the summer).
-What are suggestions for a general strategy moving forward?
-Are there exercises/routines I may not have thought of that don't really qualify as studying but that would definitely be good get in the habit of ? (I have heard sudoku can be helpful for LG, publications such as the economist can be good for RC, and symbolic/formal logic classes can help LR).

I appreciate any input.

Re: Getting a Headstart?

Postby incompetentia » Tue May 03, 2011 1:47 pm

I really don't see any benefit to studying more than 6 months in advance, even if you will only be able to study in bits and pieces. I don't really buy studying 40 hours a week in a full-time sort of schedule anyway, but that's a slightly different story.

Even if you have only 10-15 hours a week to work with, I wouldn't start until about 6 months out. It sounds like LG is your main problem, and that is the easiest section to improve on.

Re: Getting a Headstart?

Postby glitter178 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:49 pm

I would say the only thing you can consider doing more than 6 months out is to practice reading dense and sometimes boring text, with the goal of improving the speed and efficiency of your reading.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”