T-Minus One Month

rishabhagny

T-Minus One Month

Postby rishabhagny » Tue May 03, 2011 12:09 am

I may have underestimated the LSAT. I started preparing for the LSAT in late March, and due to school I only did a one practice test a week. I would take a PT on Sunday and would review the PT later that day. Along with taking PT's I went through the LG Bible and recently finished that but I have not gotten a good grasp on the LG section, frequently missing quite a few. I also just started the LR Bible and am working my way through that. My goal is to maximize the number of PT's I take between now and June and hope to go through both bibles once again.

My scores, starting out in March, were around 145 and have risen five points to a consistent 150. Are there any tips that you guys can give me so that I can hopefully maximize my score with about a month left of studying?

I appreciate any help! Thanks!

JamMasterJ

Re: T-Minus One Month

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue May 03, 2011 12:56 am

To be completely honest, you need to withdraw and take it in October. About three months of solid prep - 20+ hrs per week, or four months at 15 hrs per week - is necessary to do as well as you should be able to on this test. Look at the October Study Group thread. We have people that are in several different scenarios, but we all point to the same thing: you need more time than you have left.

Underdog180

Postby Underdog180 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:32 am

I'm in the same position. After just lingering around for a few months of some studying of the LSAT, I'm finally about to have one whole free month away from school and work to study before the June test. I've debated about pushing it to October, but I feel that if I dedicate myself for a month of good quality studying I would be more fresh than if I did 3 months of occasional lingering studying with interference (summer classes, work, etc). I know many will disagree and say more time is better to max out your potential. But just knowing myself, I have a hard time balancing LSAT studying with other things in my life and it so happens to be May to June that I'll literally be completely free. If anything, I can always cancel my score and retake in October without it affecting my application. I think it depends on you, of course more time is always better, but for me it's quality over quantity at the moment.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue May 03, 2011 1:43 pm

Underdog180 wrote:I'm in the same position. After just lingering around for a few months of some studying of the LSAT, I'm finally about to have one whole free month away from school and work to study before the June test. I've debated about pushing it to October, but I feel that if I dedicate myself for a month of good quality studying I would be more fresh than if I did 3 months of occasional lingering studying with interference (summer classes, work, etc). I know many will disagree and say more time is better to max out your potential. But just knowing myself, I have a hard time balancing LSAT studying with other things in my life and it so happens to be May to June that I'll literally be completely free. If anything, I can always cancel my score and retake in October without it affecting my application. I think it depends on you, of course more time is always better, but for me it's quality over quantity at the moment.

There may be some merit for you specifically, but the type of studying that would be required to get yourself prepared in time would be around 8-10 hrs per day. I know people who have put in 4-6 hrs for three to five months. It's just not something that you can do very quickly

just win baby

Postby just win baby » Wed May 04, 2011 1:15 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Underdog180 wrote:I'm in the same position. After just lingering around for a few months of some studying of the LSAT, I'm finally about to have one whole free month away from school and work to study before the June test. I've debated about pushing it to October, but I feel that if I dedicate myself for a month of good quality studying I would be more fresh than if I did 3 months of occasional lingering studying with interference (summer classes, work, etc). I know many will disagree and say more time is better to max out your potential. But just knowing myself, I have a hard time balancing LSAT studying with other things in my life and it so happens to be May to June that I'll literally be completely free. If anything, I can always cancel my score and retake in October without it affecting my application. I think it depends on you, of course more time is always better, but for me it's quality over quantity at the moment.

There may be some merit for you specifically, but the type of studying that would be required to get yourself prepared in time would be around 8-10 hrs per day. I know people who have put in 4-6 hrs for three to five months. It's just not something that you can do very quickly

I am in the same boat as the OP. 8-10 hours? how would one best utilize his 8 hours of studying per day?? Obviously doing individual problems, I don't know if I could do specific section work for 4 hours after a PT for 4 hours --

I started a class last August ('10) but lack of focus ( ADHD ) and lack of effort delayed my December Test, February became a bad idea... June seemed to be it. But I still think I have corners to turn- and I know I can reach 170.

I have pretty much a week to decide if I want to take the June test, I've been gearing up for it but recently with finals etc I have only gotten to two PTs in the past two weeks. In the next week I have a math and biology final... not a huge deal but will take away from my LSAT studying. I have ten prep tests on deck ready to go.. 29-38.

I have never gone through an entire PT untimed, I'm thinking that I could go over every prep test until late September...half untimed the other half timed.... ??

I don't know what to do :(

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed May 04, 2011 2:19 am

just win baby wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

I am in the same boat as the OP. 8-10 hours? how would one best utilize his 8 hours of studying per day?? Obviously doing individual problems, I don't know if I could do specific section work for 4 hours after a PT for 4 hours --

I started a class last August ('10) but lack of focus ( ADHD ) and lack of effort delayed my December Test, February became a bad idea... June seemed to be it. But I still think I have corners to turn- and I know I can reach 170.

I have pretty much a week to decide if I want to take the June test, I've been gearing up for it but recently with finals etc I have only gotten to two PTs in the past two weeks. In the next week I have a math and biology final... not a huge deal but will take away from my LSAT studying. I have ten prep tests on deck ready to go.. 29-38.

I have never gone through an entire PT untimed, I'm thinking that I could go over every prep test until late September...half untimed the other half timed.... ??

Depending on when our applying, October is probably TCR

just win baby

Postby just win baby » Fri May 06, 2011 12:17 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
just win baby wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Depending on when our applying, October is probably TCR

I am applying in November. I would rather work hard until September and be fully prepared for the October exam-
If I take in June I'll most likely score like a 157 and that's not the neighborhood I want to live in.

I'm just a tad concerned about running out of prep tests and material....but good planning can help that-

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”