Real talk: I need advice Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
JurisDoctorate

Bronze

Real talk: I need advice

Post by JurisDoctorate » Mon May 02, 2011 11:15 pm

I bombed the October 2009 LSAT. I was sick for a couple of months and I was throwing up all morning. I scored lower than my first diagnostic despite scoring upwards of 166 on practice tests (only 7-8 total). After the test, I worked to master LG and I haven't missed a question in the last whole LG timed sections. Well, I was supposed to take it in December, but I was still sick, I no-showed and decided to wait for the June. I'm finishing up my master's so I haven't had too much time to study. Here I am, a month out and I only have one test left - plus another if I get permission. I need a 170+ on the test to get in the school I want. I don't think I have a great chance in June, even if I set time aside to study. However, I'm worried about doing the Sep test and the Dec test, as I feel the Dec test wouldn't be released in time for me to have a good chance at admission.

Would you say that I'd be fine if I took the December test (which I might not need if I rock the September test)?

northwood

Platinum

Re: Real talk: I need advice

Post by northwood » Mon May 02, 2011 11:16 pm

no shows dont count toward the 3 test rule.

Re schedule the june test for october and study in the summer.

JurisDoctorate

Bronze

Post by JurisDoctorate » Mon May 02, 2011 11:29 pm

"An absentee does not count as one of the three times that you can take the test in the two year period."

I didn't know that! So I have one score from 10/09 and I can take 6/11 and 09/11 - before needing to have a school give me permission for the 12/11?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon May 02, 2011 11:30 pm

yup. but to be honest- if you dont think you will be ready for the test ( and its not too late to do so) change your test date from june to october. it will cost more, but if you establish a pattern of absences it could shed a negative light on your application.

JurisDoctorate

Bronze

Post by JurisDoctorate » Mon May 02, 2011 11:33 pm

I was just thinking of taking it and giving it another crack and seeing if I can have a good test and not study all summer. I would probably want to test at 165+ within the next few days to show I have a chance. Thanks for exposing my misconception of the effect of an absence.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:35 pm

Why are you sick so often?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon May 02, 2011 11:37 pm

welcome
if i were you- i would only take the test if you feel totally confident that you will score better than your diagnostic ( and are scoring in the range you need to be to get into your top school choices). if you arent- then save the testing experience for the december test in case something goes terribly wrong in october and you have to cancel ( like an epic bubbling fail or horrendous section or whatnot). But its your call- not mine. Just make sure you know when the deadline to change test dates is and plan accordingly.

since you allready took the test- you wouldnt need to study the entire summer (just start in august). best of luck!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:40 pm

1) Get your aid cocktail sorted out
2) You've studied for months, taking taking a PT once a day like a man
3) Fucking go score a 170

You can't retake finals bro. Nut up. You have a month. You can 20 PT's and be ready by then.

JurisDoctorate

Bronze

Post by JurisDoctorate » Tue May 03, 2011 10:45 am

Thanks for the real talk, DesertFox.

I'm working on my PhD at NYU so I'm pretty busy. I know, I know - I'm probably just making excuses. I was already supposed to nut up by now, who says I'll finally do it over the summer! As for the sickness, I don't want to tie myself to my application (because I'll probably mention my illness in my NYU app) but I'll say that it was a well-known bacterial disease that was treated within a few weeks but the symptoms last months. It was really rough :(

So, Desert, since you seem willing - let me ask you this:

Is taking a PT test once a day my best option? I have the LR by type and the LG by type, should I be doing this prep? I'm out of shape - at the moment - but I was at the point where I'd miss about 3-4 on each of the LR's, 0-1 on LG, and my RC was inconsistent (between -3 and -8). Do you think practicing with PT's would be my best bet?

Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:31 am

JurisDoctorate wrote:Thanks for the real talk, DesertFox.

I'm working on my PhD at NYU so I'm pretty busy. I know, I know - I'm probably just making excuses. I was already supposed to nut up by now, who says I'll finally do it over the summer! As for the sickness, I don't want to tie myself to my application (because I'll probably mention my illness in my NYU app) but I'll say that it was a well-known bacterial disease that was treated within a few weeks but the symptoms last months. It was really rough :(

So, Desert, since you seem willing - let me ask you this:

Is taking a PT test once a day my best option? I have the LR by type and the LG by type, should I be doing this prep? I'm out of shape - at the moment - but I was at the point where I'd miss about 3-4 on each of the LR's, 0-1 on LG, and my RC was inconsistent (between -3 and -8). Do you think practicing with PT's would be my best bet?

Thanks.
Maybe not every day, but at least every other day. Do a whole one on the first day. review the second day, do another the third, and repeat. But if you start burning out, take three days off. When you take a lot of PT's, under realistic conditions you wont feel stressed on the real thing. I don't even remember my real test because it was like another PT.

Make a note of the type of problem you miss and keep track. If find a pattern, try to solve it.

Timing, and stamina are under valued on the LSAT forum here.

Constantly taking PT's helped my RC score because I got better at reading the problems fast.

JurisDoctorate

Bronze

Post by JurisDoctorate » Tue May 03, 2011 11:51 am

I'm going to go with this method for the June test. I feel like I have a really solid base and I'm just terribly unpracticed (I've only done 2 full-length 5 section tests). I'll get into good "shape" and see where it takes me. If it doesn't give me the score I need, I'll have a few months in the summer to test myself on specific question types and go through the bibles.

Cheers and thanks for the advice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”