Real talk: I need advice

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
JurisDoctorate

Bronze

Real talk: I need advice

Postby JurisDoctorate » Mon May 02, 2011 11:15 pm

I bombed the October 2009 LSAT. I was sick for a couple of months and I was throwing up all morning. I scored lower than my first diagnostic despite scoring upwards of 166 on practice tests (only 7-8 total). After the test, I worked to master LG and I haven't missed a question in the last whole LG timed sections. Well, I was supposed to take it in December, but I was still sick, I no-showed and decided to wait for the June. I'm finishing up my master's so I haven't had too much time to study. Here I am, a month out and I only have one test left - plus another if I get permission. I need a 170+ on the test to get in the school I want. I don't think I have a great chance in June, even if I set time aside to study. However, I'm worried about doing the Sep test and the Dec test, as I feel the Dec test wouldn't be released in time for me to have a good chance at admission.

Would you say that I'd be fine if I took the December test (which I might not need if I rock the September test)?

northwood

Gold

Re: Real talk: I need advice

Postby northwood » Mon May 02, 2011 11:16 pm

no shows dont count toward the 3 test rule.

Re schedule the june test for october and study in the summer.

JurisDoctorate

Bronze

Postby JurisDoctorate » Mon May 02, 2011 11:29 pm

"An absentee does not count as one of the three times that you can take the test in the two year period."

I didn't know that! So I have one score from 10/09 and I can take 6/11 and 09/11 - before needing to have a school give me permission for the 12/11?

northwood

Gold

Postby northwood » Mon May 02, 2011 11:30 pm

yup. but to be honest- if you dont think you will be ready for the test ( and its not too late to do so) change your test date from june to october. it will cost more, but if you establish a pattern of absences it could shed a negative light on your application.

JurisDoctorate

Bronze

Postby JurisDoctorate » Mon May 02, 2011 11:33 pm

I was just thinking of taking it and giving it another crack and seeing if I can have a good test and not study all summer. I would probably want to test at 165+ within the next few days to show I have a chance. Thanks for exposing my misconception of the effect of an absence.

Diamond

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:35 pm

Why are you sick so often?

northwood

Gold

Postby northwood » Mon May 02, 2011 11:37 pm

welcome
if i were you- i would only take the test if you feel totally confident that you will score better than your diagnostic ( and are scoring in the range you need to be to get into your top school choices). if you arent- then save the testing experience for the december test in case something goes terribly wrong in october and you have to cancel ( like an epic bubbling fail or horrendous section or whatnot). But its your call- not mine. Just make sure you know when the deadline to change test dates is and plan accordingly.

since you allready took the test- you wouldnt need to study the entire summer (just start in august). best of luck!

Diamond

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:40 pm

1) Get your aid cocktail sorted out
2) You've studied for months, taking taking a PT once a day like a man
3) Fucking go score a 170

You can't retake finals bro. Nut up. You have a month. You can 20 PT's and be ready by then.

JurisDoctorate

Bronze

Postby JurisDoctorate » Tue May 03, 2011 10:45 am

Thanks for the real talk, DesertFox.

I'm working on my PhD at NYU so I'm pretty busy. I know, I know - I'm probably just making excuses. I was already supposed to nut up by now, who says I'll finally do it over the summer! As for the sickness, I don't want to tie myself to my application (because I'll probably mention my illness in my NYU app) but I'll say that it was a well-known bacterial disease that was treated within a few weeks but the symptoms last months. It was really rough :(

So, Desert, since you seem willing - let me ask you this:

Is taking a PT test once a day my best option? I have the LR by type and the LG by type, should I be doing this prep? I'm out of shape - at the moment - but I was at the point where I'd miss about 3-4 on each of the LR's, 0-1 on LG, and my RC was inconsistent (between -3 and -8). Do you think practicing with PT's would be my best bet?

Thanks.

Diamond

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:31 am

JurisDoctorate wrote:Thanks for the real talk, DesertFox.

I'm working on my PhD at NYU so I'm pretty busy. I know, I know - I'm probably just making excuses. I was already supposed to nut up by now, who says I'll finally do it over the summer! As for the sickness, I don't want to tie myself to my application (because I'll probably mention my illness in my NYU app) but I'll say that it was a well-known bacterial disease that was treated within a few weeks but the symptoms last months. It was really rough :(

So, Desert, since you seem willing - let me ask you this:

Is taking a PT test once a day my best option? I have the LR by type and the LG by type, should I be doing this prep? I'm out of shape - at the moment - but I was at the point where I'd miss about 3-4 on each of the LR's, 0-1 on LG, and my RC was inconsistent (between -3 and -8). Do you think practicing with PT's would be my best bet?

Thanks.

Maybe not every day, but at least every other day. Do a whole one on the first day. review the second day, do another the third, and repeat. But if you start burning out, take three days off. When you take a lot of PT's, under realistic conditions you wont feel stressed on the real thing. I don't even remember my real test because it was like another PT.

Make a note of the type of problem you miss and keep track. If find a pattern, try to solve it.

Timing, and stamina are under valued on the LSAT forum here.

Constantly taking PT's helped my RC score because I got better at reading the problems fast.

JurisDoctorate

Bronze

Postby JurisDoctorate » Tue May 03, 2011 11:51 am

I'm going to go with this method for the June test. I feel like I have a really solid base and I'm just terribly unpracticed (I've only done 2 full-length 5 section tests). I'll get into good "shape" and see where it takes me. If it doesn't give me the score I need, I'll have a few months in the summer to test myself on specific question types and go through the bibles.

Cheers and thanks for the advice.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�