No improvement after 10 months of study Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
greenchair

Bronze

No improvement after 10 months of study

Post by greenchair » Mon May 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Guys, I am really depressed.

I took my first diagnostic LSAT last June. I got a 157. (LR: -8, -7; RC: -8; LG: -8)

Today, after ten months of study, paying an assload for private tutoring AND FEELING REALLY GOOD ABOUT IT, I took a full-length, 5-section test and got a 158. (LR: -4, -8; RC: -9; LG: -5)

I am trying to justify this but none of my justifications make me feel much better.

First justification is that my initial diagnostic was a fluke, and my real score was something in the high 140s or low 150s. And that I actually made a decent jump. That's pretty depressing.

Second justification is that I just did poorly on this exam. I misread a rule on the logic game and got a -5 for the whole section, but otherwise I would've had a -1. Fatigue might've gotten to me at the end to get a -8 on LR?

In any event, I am really sad because I had THOUGHT I'd been making pretty good strides on the LSAT. I even finished one of the RC with 2:40 to spare. I even know the test well enough that I can predict what the testmakers would ask for a particular reading comprehension passage. THEN WHY DO I KEEP DOING SO POORLY?

Easy-E

Platinum

Re: No improvement after 10 months of study

Post by Easy-E » Mon May 02, 2011 9:54 pm

greenchair wrote:Guys, I am really depressed.

I took my first diagnostic LSAT last June. I got a 157. (LR: -8, -7; RC: -8; LG: -8)

Today, after ten months of study, paying an assload for private tutoring AND FEELING REALLY GOOD ABOUT IT, I took a full-length, 5-section test and got a 158. (LR: -4, -8; RC: -9; LG: -5)

I am trying to justify this but none of my justifications make me feel much better.

First justification is that my initial diagnostic was a fluke, and my real score was something in the high 140s or low 150s. And that I actually made a decent jump. That's pretty depressing.

Second justification is that I just did poorly on this exam. I misread a rule on the logic game and got a -5 for the whole section, but otherwise I would've had a -1. Fatigue might've gotten to me at the end to get a -8 on LR?

In any event, I am really sad because I had THOUGHT I'd been making pretty good strides on the LSAT. I even finished one of the RC with 2:40 to spare. I even know the test well enough that I can predict what the testmakers would ask for a particular reading comprehension passage. THEN WHY DO I KEEP DOING SO POORLY?
Was your first diagnostic an actual, timed LSAT?

It seems odd you would have made no improvement, but have you tried another PT?

10 months is a long time to study. Can you be a bit more detailed about how you prepared? How many hours/days a week?

greenchair

Bronze

Post by greenchair » Mon May 02, 2011 10:01 pm

emarxnj wrote: Was your first diagnostic an actual, timed LSAT?

10 months is a long time to study. Can you be a bit more detailed about how you prepared? How many hours/days a week?
Yes. It was an actual, timed LSAT.

I did another LSAT about a week ago - but it was only a 4-section test. I got a 164.

Initially, I was planning for the Feb. test. I studied half-heartedly from July to around September, maybe 3-4 hours a week. Then September through December I kicked it up a whole lot, 15-20 hours a week. Then in January, after taking SuperPrep B and C and realizing I can't even get through a LG section without feeling like giving up, I decided to postpone my February to June. I took a break from January to March. Since March, I've been studying intensively 20-30 hours a week. I FEEL A LOT BETTER than I did in December. I KNOW I grasp the content better. But after two timed tests, it seems like my improvement has been minor, if at all.

I am aiming for a 170. I've been aiming for a 170 since the day I started. A 165 would not get me anywhere (with money) because of my stupid 3.19 GPA.

deadhipsters

Bronze

Post by deadhipsters » Mon May 02, 2011 10:11 pm

If you feel like you comprehend the games then you can't be that far away from making some real improvements. Check out Pithy Pikes Guide. You may need to fine tune your strategy. Stay at it.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:12 pm

Timing is hugely important. Start taking a lot of PTs.

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Mon May 02, 2011 10:18 pm

greenchair wrote:
emarxnj wrote: Was your first diagnostic an actual, timed LSAT?

Yes. It was an actual, timed LSAT.

I did another LSAT about a week ago - but it was only a 4-section test. I got a 164.

Initially, I was planning for the Feb. test. I studied half-heartedly from July to around September, maybe 3-4 hours a week. Then September through December I kicked it up a whole lot, 15-20 hours a week. Then in January, after taking SuperPrep B and C and realizing I can't even get through a LG section without feeling like giving up, I decided to postpone my February to June. I took a break from January to March. Since March, I've been studying intensively 20-30 hours a week. I FEEL A LOT BETTER than I did in December. I KNOW I grasp the content better. But after two timed tests, it seems like my improvement has been minor, if at all.

I am aiming for a 170. I've been aiming for a 170 since the day I started. A 165 would not get me anywhere (with money) because of my stupid 3.19 GPA.

I'm in the same boat to a degree. My GPA is sitting around 3.3, so anything below 170 I'm denied at pretty much all the schools I'd like to attend. But as DF said above, it seems like you would benefit from full length timed tests, especially considering you cited fatigue as an issue. You can divide up one PT and use it to make 5 section exams for the full experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”