PT #54, Section 2, LR, #25, and others from PT 54

secretad

PT #54, Section 2, LR, #25, and others from PT 54

Postby secretad » Mon May 02, 2011 6:22 pm

Sorry for the duplicate threads, I would like to use this one to address PT 54.

This is an inference question, so it is something that must be true.

There are two statements in this stimulus:

1) To face danger solely because doing so affords one a certain pleasure does not constitute courage.

2) Real courage is manifested only when a person, in acting to attain a goal, perseveres in the face of fear prompted by one or more dangers involved.

I would like to go through the answer choices.

A) This answer is tempting because of the first statement in the stimulus. This answer choice says that a person must face danger in order to avoid future pain. Then says that this person cannot be called courageous.

According to the stimulus, this seems like a case of being able to say that the person is not courageous. This person is facing danger to avoid future pain, which can be equated to affording the person pleasure, albeit later on. However, I am not certain how the word solely factors into this answer choice. We do not know if this is the sole reason for facing danger, which is the same issue with (C).

B) The worst answer of the bunch. Does not mention persevering through the fear and it would change the outcome to being courageous if that change were to be made.

C) Mentioned in discussion of (A). It can be dismissed because it lacks that it is solely the reason for facing danger.

D) I really liked this one a lot, and it was the correct answer. I just could not toss A and could not decide between the two at the time.

E) Is wrong because that person could have other fears that the people spoken of do not have, thus could be courageous in a situation.

Thanks guys at TLS. I do not take your help or comments for granted.

JamMasterJ

Re: PT #54, Section 2, LR, #25, and others from PT 54

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon May 02, 2011 7:15 pm

secretad wrote:Sorry for the duplicate threads, I would like to use this one to address PT 54.

This is an inference question, so it is something that must be true.

There are two statements in this stimulus:

1) To face danger solely because doing so affords one a certain pleasure does not constitute courage.

2) Real courage is manifested only when a person, in acting to attain a goal, perseveres in the face of fear prompted by one or more dangers involved.

I would like to go through the answer choices.

A) This answer is tempting because of the first statement in the stimulus. This answer choice says that a person must face danger in order to avoid future pain. Then says that this person cannot be called courageous.

According to the stimulus, this seems like a case of being able to say that the person is not courageous. This person is facing danger to avoid future pain, which can be equated to affording the person pleasure, albeit later on. However, I am not certain how the word solely factors into this answer choice. We do not know if this is the sole reason for facing danger, which is the same issue with (C).

B) The worst answer of the bunch. Does not mention persevering through the fear and it would change the outcome to being courageous if that change were to be made.

C) Mentioned in discussion of (A). It can be dismissed because it lacks that it is solely the reason for facing danger.

D) I really liked this one a lot, and it was the correct answer. I just could not toss A and could not decide between the two at the time.

E) Is wrong because that person could have other fears that the people spoken of do not have, thus could be courageous in a situation.

Thanks guys at TLS. I do not take your help or comments for granted.

Yeah, a is wrong because of the word solely. There could be other factors that constitute courage.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”