LSAT tutoring

agora139

LSAT tutoring

Postby agora139 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:13 pm

hi everyone! i'm starting law school in the fall, and i have a pretty flexible job for the summer. i'd like to supplement that income with LSAT tutoring--i spent like 5 months on the LSAT, totally dissected it, and eventually did really well on the real thing. my question is, does anyone have experience with freelance LSAT tutoring? how did you advertise and how much did you charge??

thanks!!

dpk711

Re: LSAT tutoring

Postby dpk711 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:15 pm

agora139 wrote:hi everyone! i'm starting law school in the fall, and i have a pretty flexible job for the summer. i'd like to supplement that income with LSAT tutoring--i spent like 5 months on the LSAT, totally dissected it, and eventually did really well on the real thing. my question is, does anyone have experience with freelance LSAT tutoring? how did you advertise and how much did you charge??

thanks!!

I advertised through craigslist and charged $65/hour.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon May 02, 2011 2:20 pm

I advertised through craigslist and beat whatever is the previously listed lowest price. I never set it in stone because I never wanted to lose an client because of it. For example, the post above me said $65, so I would then put in an ad line specifically referencing the higher prices being charged and how I would beat it (i.e. why pay $65...etc.). I'd rather have 2 clients at $50 an hour than 1 at $65. I used to charge a higher price, and I didn't have many people coming. I started lowering the price, and I was booked solid almost all week long back when I was tutoring.

agora139

Postby agora139 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:33 pm

great! i'll definitely look into craigslist. what did you all say exactly in the ad? if no one wants to post it, feel free to PM me.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Mon May 02, 2011 11:21 pm

dakatz wrote:I advertised through craigslist and beat whatever is the previously listed lowest price. I never set it in stone because I never wanted to lose an client because of it. For example, the post above me said $65, so I would then put in an ad line specifically referencing the higher prices being charged and how I would beat it (i.e. why pay $65...etc.). I'd rather have 2 clients at $50 an hour than 1 at $65. I used to charge a higher price, and I didn't have many people coming. I started lowering the price, and I was booked solid almost all week long back when I was tutoring.

This is why we need a union, man.

agora139

Postby agora139 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:06 pm

So have posted multiple times in craigslist to no avail. anyone have other suggestions as to how to get LSAT tutoring clients? I need 'em

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:26 pm

agora139 wrote:So have posted multiple times in craigslist to no avail. anyone have other suggestions as to how to get LSAT tutoring clients? I need 'em

Are you in a major market? When I was living in a medium size city I got basically no response from craigslist. If your day job is flexible, why not apply to one of the major companies? They pretty much all hire during the summer, especially right after June scores come out.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:07 pm

agora139 wrote:So have posted multiple times in craigslist to no avail. anyone have other suggestions as to how to get LSAT tutoring clients? I need 'em

Same here, got only one client for a month of posting on craigslist in NYC. The market is too oversaturated here...

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:15 pm

One suggestion I have for something you might way to try (if you haven't done this already) is to make a webpage for your tutoring services -- this will help more students find you, and it will also provide validation for the ones that see your ad on craigslist and whatnot -- I think pretty much every student uses google, in some form or another, as the primary way to find a tutor, and it's really easy/helpful to have a nice representation of yourself online -- mk

Srayoorozco

Postby Srayoorozco » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:39 pm

I am currently looking for an LSAT tutor in the South florida area any of you from around here?

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:40 pm

I was able to advertise through Craigslist and Wyzant (Wyzant takes portion of money but it was a little easier to get clients)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”