LSAT tutoring

User avatar
agora139
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:14 pm

LSAT tutoring

Postby agora139 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:13 pm

hi everyone! i'm starting law school in the fall, and i have a pretty flexible job for the summer. i'd like to supplement that income with LSAT tutoring--i spent like 5 months on the LSAT, totally dissected it, and eventually did really well on the real thing. my question is, does anyone have experience with freelance LSAT tutoring? how did you advertise and how much did you charge??

thanks!!

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: LSAT tutoring

Postby dpk711 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:15 pm

agora139 wrote:hi everyone! i'm starting law school in the fall, and i have a pretty flexible job for the summer. i'd like to supplement that income with LSAT tutoring--i spent like 5 months on the LSAT, totally dissected it, and eventually did really well on the real thing. my question is, does anyone have experience with freelance LSAT tutoring? how did you advertise and how much did you charge??

thanks!!

I advertised through craigslist and charged $65/hour.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: LSAT tutoring

Postby dakatz » Mon May 02, 2011 2:20 pm

I advertised through craigslist and beat whatever is the previously listed lowest price. I never set it in stone because I never wanted to lose an client because of it. For example, the post above me said $65, so I would then put in an ad line specifically referencing the higher prices being charged and how I would beat it (i.e. why pay $65...etc.). I'd rather have 2 clients at $50 an hour than 1 at $65. I used to charge a higher price, and I didn't have many people coming. I started lowering the price, and I was booked solid almost all week long back when I was tutoring.

User avatar
agora139
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: LSAT tutoring

Postby agora139 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:33 pm

great! i'll definitely look into craigslist. what did you all say exactly in the ad? if no one wants to post it, feel free to PM me.

User avatar
suspicious android
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: LSAT tutoring

Postby suspicious android » Mon May 02, 2011 11:21 pm

dakatz wrote:I advertised through craigslist and beat whatever is the previously listed lowest price. I never set it in stone because I never wanted to lose an client because of it. For example, the post above me said $65, so I would then put in an ad line specifically referencing the higher prices being charged and how I would beat it (i.e. why pay $65...etc.). I'd rather have 2 clients at $50 an hour than 1 at $65. I used to charge a higher price, and I didn't have many people coming. I started lowering the price, and I was booked solid almost all week long back when I was tutoring.


This is why we need a union, man.

User avatar
agora139
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: LSAT tutoring

Postby agora139 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:06 pm

So have posted multiple times in craigslist to no avail. anyone have other suggestions as to how to get LSAT tutoring clients? I need 'em

User avatar
suspicious android
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: LSAT tutoring

Postby suspicious android » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:26 pm

agora139 wrote:So have posted multiple times in craigslist to no avail. anyone have other suggestions as to how to get LSAT tutoring clients? I need 'em


Are you in a major market? When I was living in a medium size city I got basically no response from craigslist. If your day job is flexible, why not apply to one of the major companies? They pretty much all hire during the summer, especially right after June scores come out.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: LSAT tutoring

Postby paglababa » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:07 pm

agora139 wrote:So have posted multiple times in craigslist to no avail. anyone have other suggestions as to how to get LSAT tutoring clients? I need 'em


Same here, got only one client for a month of posting on craigslist in NYC. The market is too oversaturated here...

The LSAT Trainer
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 4:57 am

Re: LSAT tutoring

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:15 pm

One suggestion I have for something you might way to try (if you haven't done this already) is to make a webpage for your tutoring services -- this will help more students find you, and it will also provide validation for the ones that see your ad on craigslist and whatnot -- I think pretty much every student uses google, in some form or another, as the primary way to find a tutor, and it's really easy/helpful to have a nice representation of yourself online -- mk

Srayoorozco
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:56 pm

Re: LSAT tutoring

Postby Srayoorozco » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:39 pm

I am currently looking for an LSAT tutor in the South florida area any of you from around here?

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: LSAT tutoring

Postby gaud » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:40 pm

I was able to advertise through Craigslist and Wyzant (Wyzant takes portion of money but it was a little easier to get clients)




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests